SFA / Grand Canyon

9,179 Views | 140 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (11-6, 3-2) vs. Grand Canyon (14-2, 5-0)

WHEN: JAN 20 (THU) 6:30P.M.
WHERE: William R. Johnson Coliseum (Nacogdoches, TX)
WATCH: ESPN+

2009 1st NCAA appearance. 2014 32-3 record. 2016 Destroyed #3 seed West Virginia. 2018 5th NCAA appearance. 2020 Beat #1 Duke, 19-1 SLC Champs, 28-3 record.

Gavin, David, and Roti have already etched their names on to Lumberjack Basketball's legacy of honor, but they wanted to come back for something more. One more shot to do something for themselves, for their team, for their university that would cement them as the core of one of the greatest units in SFA's illustrious history. But greatness is never found in the easy ways. It's found when everything - fatigue, injury, fate - turns against you. It's found when you get down to the core of who you are and still believe.

The last few years SFA fans have been graced with some fabulous marquee matchups: Kentucky, LSU, Baylor Duke, Kansas. But this year has been a veritable tournament of midmajor power: South Dakota St., Buffalo, Saint Louis, Liberty, ACU. And then this week has been circled as the pinnacle of the regular season, WAC powerhouses GCU and NMSU at home in the Sawmill. But losing Roti in the Liberty game, COVID and injury has put the season on the edge of disaster.

This is the time when real stories are written. The Lumberjacks have no real business thinking they are going to compete against one of the most potent offenses in the country. Blacksher (G, 5' 11", Jr.) and Woods (G, 6' 1", Sr.) combine to score about 30 points a game, 6 rebounds, 8 assists, and 3 steals. The Lopes have the second best three point defense in the country. They are rebound monsters. But SFA knows that these games are not determined by statistics.

Thursday night is time to Cram the Coliseum. It's time to support your team that has found themselves on the ropes for reasons mostly beyond their control. We can help show that the heart of this team beats in every one of their fans. Gavin, David, and Roti, the whole team, are being stripped to the core of who they are. Let's let them know that we still believe. Their legacy is not finished yet.

Axe 'em!
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
BigJack85
Great write up !
wahlwesle
The perfect script for a 30 for 30 episode.
SFA Jack Fanatic
I feel as though I just read the opening page of a Pulitzer prize-winning novel. Great job, Ryan. Now go pen a great final chapter for us (with a happy ending, of course).
Rev007
Fantastic write up!
No-look
Great write up! I'm stoked!
sfajack05
Does GCU have a fan forum? I haven't been able to find one.
jboy93
They have destroyed the WAC so far! Time to bring that to a halt. We will have to have the team that played Kansas and the last 8 minutes of Lamar to show up. If not, could be a long night! GO JACKS!
Looking at their schedule though and they have not played the strongest opponents! Am I right?
nacluth
Yes kind of. They honestly haven't had the hardest schedule. Close losses to Wyoming and Arizona State. Their one good win was over a very good San Francisco at home. They destroyed ACU and Tarleton at home as well. But, they play us once; NMSt, Sam, and Utah Valley twice.

They are ranked 61 NET, 99 KenPom. So they're leading the WAC basically tied with NMSt.
SFAXE93
It will be like the Kansas game and the Jacks will be focused and on point.
sfajack05
jboy93 said:

They have destroyed the WAC so far! Time to bring that to a halt. We will have to have the team that played Kansas and the last 8 minutes of Lamar to show up. If not, could be a long night! GO JACKS!
Looking at their schedule though and they have not played the strongest opponents! Am I right?
Hopefully with the cram the coliseum that will give the team a big boost of confidence and get them out of their funk. (Really hoping the students actually show up).

I know the injury to Roti, the postponed games, and COVID/injuries has taken a toll on the guys.

Let's give them a boost and get two more wins this week.
nacluth
SFA getting 2.5. ML even. 137 over/under
BigJack85
nacluth said:

SFA getting 2.5. ML even. 137 over/under

Shockingly low line. We are getting some love.
nacluth
I bet it's more uncertainty about both teams that's keeping the line low. If it was in Arizona we would probably be getting 10.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

I bet it's more uncertainty about both teams that's keeping the line low. If it was in Arizona we would probably be getting 10.

True dat. We may be a little bit of a wild card for the people that just look at scores.
No-look
Any word on Nana and Nigel?
No-look
If the north end parking lot fills up will they open up the restricted area for parking?
sfajack05
What kind of crowd do you think there will be tonight?

I really hope the students show up.
nacluth
I don't think so. They have the Hall 20 lot, college st. and the stadium lot as open too.
nacluth
I'm not one for betting but the line has moved to even which makes me think people have been putting money on SFA at home.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

I'm not one for betting but the line has moved to even which makes me think people have been putting money on SFA at home.
. Ya. I'm shocked. I expected GCU to be a 7-10 point favorite.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Haslametrics has GCU by 5.
TallTexan
No-look said:

If the north end parking lot fills up will they open up the restricted area for parking?
This has been my gripe all along. I'm fine with booster & paid parking. I have it myself.

But it doesn't need to be 2/3rds of the lot. Then we're just inconveniencing our own fans who do show up.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Haslametrics has GCU by 5.
That seems fair.

nacluth
Are we breaking 4,000 tonight? GCU's arena says it has a capacity of 7,000 and they stay close to sell outs. It sure looks smaller than that on TV, but it could just be good placement. A half full coliseum can get pretty rocking.
SFAJack_76
nacluth
Doubt it means much unless it's a tight game at the end, but definitely a slight advantage.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Doubt it means much unless it's a tight game at the end, but definitely a slight advantage.
Forgot he was there.
nacluth
I mean we've beaten his brother. Might as well let them commiserate.
nacluth
Man I'm getting excited for tonight!
jboy93
nacluth said:

Are we breaking 4,000 tonight? GCU's arena says it has a capacity of 7,000 and they stay close to sell outs. It sure looks smaller than that on TV, but it could just be good placement. A half full coliseum can get pretty rocking.
I can't make the drive in today, but I sure hope we can get that many people/students there! With the recent numbers I think that might be a tall order...sadly!
sfa17
huge game, hopefully students and locals show up, we gonna need the support
SFAJack_76
Covid is on a rampage in East Texas. I won't get upset with anyone that chooses not to show.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Yep, long planned trip but employees that were going to cover wife for couple of days both out so she had to work and we will try again in 2 weeks for Utah Valley and Dixie St.

Due to that my tix for tonight and NMSU are available....it's posted in ticket thread
SFASawmillGuy
This game hasn't been promoted anywhere near enough. The attendance probably won't be impressive sadly.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.