SFA / UT-Rio Grande Valley

5,430 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by MasterAxe
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
5 point game 1 minute
sfa17
another lackluster performance
nacluth
11 point win. What was the line MasterAxe?
Jyank24
As rough as that was...we put up 86 points, should of been more, but a W is a W!!!
Ljacks&Longnecks
In Vegas right now. Tonight's game was on the Cosmopolitan board with SFA giving 13.5
Way we have been playing I chose to leave it alone.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Another ugly win. Have we had any pretty wins this year? None that I can think of. How in the heck can the Jacks play so well at Kansas and then play three straight stinkers, including winning two of them? Can't completely blame it on the schedule changes.

@ Prison Tech on Saturday. Play like this and it won't end well.
nacluth
I'll be at the game in Huntsville. Will I see anyone?
PurpleOut
Staff
Kensmil has to be smarter. That was an awful foul that looked almost intentional to get his 5th. And to begin with, you have to know these teams that play basically 5 guards are going to flop on you all night. The 3rd and 4th fouls were 50/50 at best...but he has to know that.

The 2nd problem there is that Nana and Aku bring very little to the table. If Kensmil has to sit for long periods of time...we are in trouble. I couldn't figure out why we would have Nana in that late with Hawkins on the bench. Again, we're playing basically a 5 guard system.

Good to get the win, it's what we needed. Definitely closer than it should be, but some of that was bad luck. Jossell won't miss shots like that again. Not only did he miss them, but most were wide open or in and out. He could have had 30 tonight easily.

Overall, definitely need to play better Saturday.
nacluth
Really I was happy with the game. Third game in 5 days. Game was never really in doubt. 6 turnovers in the first 30 minutes. Shot decent from the line. Hall and David got going again. Posey played decent. No one played too hard. Seemed easy even if it wasn't the cleanest.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

I'll be there. With at least one additional supporter.
PurpleOut
Staff
I thought Posey played great. Very calm and collected tonight. 16 points 3/5 from downtown and only 1 turnover.

Posey and Hall with 34 points off the bench.
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

The 2nd problem there is that Nana and Aku bring very little to the table. If Kensmil has to sit for long periods of time...we are in trouble.
I know it's eons in the future, but what will the '22-'23 season be without Kensmil in the middle? Unless we land a big via transfer in the Spring signing period, it could be a rough season. (My apologies. I'm beginning to sound like Master Axe, aka Mr. Negativity.)
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

PurpleOut said:

The 2nd problem there is that Nana and Aku bring very little to the table. If Kensmil has to sit for long periods of time...we are in trouble.
I know it's eons in the future, but what will the '22-'23 season be without Kensmil in the middle? Unless we land a big via transfer in the Spring signing period, it could be a rough season. (My apologies. I'm beginning to sound like Master Axe, aka Mr. Negativity.)

I feel Nana has potential. Aku, I'm not sure.
Rev007
First of all, I'm not sure why I didn't turn down the volume to zero on the ESPN+ network.

The game reminded me of the church at Laodicea. It was neither hot nor cold, but lukewarm. For moments, I thought Posey was heating up, but then he was subsequently pulled. Likewise, Solomon uncharacteristically had his shot falling consistently, but foul trouble forced him out of his rhythm. On the other end of the spectrum was Gavin. I've never seen him miss so many layups. Surely someone on the coaching staff knows how to light a fire under him. Why is Hall not getting more minutes? I doubt he is a legitimate 6'4", but that doesn't matter. He's extremely effective one on one in the paint. Did anyone notice that the offense ran better when Posey and David were in the game together? Posey is not as good a ball handler as David, but he is aggressive and drives towards the basket instead of side to side. David is much more creative when he is shooting guard. Not much I can say about Aku. On the positive side, we had fewer turnovers, but UTRGV is a disgrace of a team. Additionally, free throws were much better. Why isn't Willis getting more opportunities to shoot his 3pt shot? Is he that bad defensively? It looks like he is giving 100% effort. Going back to Hall, he has no fear and plays with an edge. The past two games, it looked like he was ready rumble. I hope he can hold in that urge and not get suspended.

We didn't learn much from this game. Undoubtedly, we will learn a lot against Sam Houston. Somebody needs to step up as a leader. I see Posey as a candidate. He needs to start, quit picking up fouls away from the basket, and play more minutes.
nacluth
Willis did play well in his 2 minutes. He took a blow to the jaw on his foul, knocked down his free throws, and got pulled. Don't know if the hit to the head kept him out or not. It seemed like Keller was really using the game as a teaching tool for certain select players - Gavin was not one of them.
jboy93
BigJack85 said:

nacluth said:

I'll be there. With at least one additional supporter.
I was trying to but not going to make it. I really love wearing my purple on that campus!
nacluth
We dropped a couple KenPom spots and 6 NET spots with our 11 point win.
No-look
Side note: New Mexico State only beat them by 12.
nacluth
No-look said:

Side note: New Mexico State only beat them by 12.
Side side note: NMSU's ranking went up following their 12 point win even though they are the much superior team whereas ours went down.
MasterAxe
nacluth said:

11 point win. What was the line MasterAxe?

As I said when I posted, seemed like TOOOOO MMAAANNNYYY POOIINNTTSS

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.