SFA / UT-Rio Grande Valley

5,416 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by MasterAxe
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (9-5, 1-1) vs. UT-RGV (5-10, 0-3)

WHEN: JAN 11 (TUE) 6:30P.M.
WHERE: William R. Johnson Coliseum (Nacogdoches, TX)
WATCH: ESPN+

In one of the Jacks' toughest seasons, they have found themselves in a little midseason slump losing three out of the last four games. To be honest though, losing some head scratchers around the New Year's break has kind of been on par for Keller's teams since his first season. However, those losses have not defined those teams nor their seasons. Getting refocused for the long haul of conference play is something that the Jacks have been good at. There's not a lot of reason to think this year will be different.

The loss against Tarleton on Saturday exposed some key flaws that the Jacks are dealing with right now. Ball control and security is a huge issue. The Jacks are averaging 25 turnovers a game in the young WAC season. Kalcheries is offering a full quarter of those TO's himself.

Also noticeable is the lack of defense penetration. Ware's loss seems to have the Jacks looking for someone to dribble-drive to the bucket. The Tarleton and ACU games showed a lot of perimeter passing and shooting while looking for an inlet pass down low but with no one moving through from backcourt to frontcourt. This has allowed the defenses to keep their big defenders in tight. Varying schemes and plays have been used to switch this up, but until we regain someone who pushes interior defenses out of place, it's going to be tough sledding for Kensmil and Solomon.

David has had a rough couple of games, and he can't be everything to this team. But, he kind of is right now. He has to direct, assist, handle cleanly, and penetrate while being a top level defender. No one else has that huge of role. This team is loaded with individual talent, but without Roti as a crutch, right now the team is riding on his shoulders. Jossell and Hawkins are huge as shooting guards and Posey has a lot of pressure to be the next guy, but this time is David's. He's got to shine.

The Vaqueros are ok. The don't do anything great statwise. They play fast and lately they have been jacking up a lot of threes. They foul a lot, they get fouled a lot. They don't defend very well, but they have decent scorers. Southern Miss transfer Justin Johnson (6' 6", G, Jr.) is by far their best offensive weapon but Marek Nelson (6' 7", F, Sr.) is a plus down low. (*Nelson attended the same Christian Academy as Nathan Bain.) Their best game by far was playing #14 Illinois close deep into the game.

This game is going to be about shaking off the rust of the long break. Can we play with confidence and poise? Can we play with intensity but not recklessness? Can we start a new streak to build into this season? I think all the answers are yes. Let's see them start Tuesday night.

Axe 'em!
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
No-look
The new win streak starts now!
MasterAxe
SFA is a 13.5 point favorite.

That seems like...A lot.
BigJack85
MasterAxe said:

SFA is a 13.5 point favorite.

That seems like...A lot.

Any kind of win would work for me.
Jacks4460
I feel a big game from us tonight...
No-look
Fans may use the previous printed tickets for this game. I'm assuming that's the tickets that was originally sent to our email on our phones?
jboy93
Aren't the students back on campus? So it should be a full house?? No Bob Saget pun intended...
BigJack85
I'd be happy if we got 2000.
BigJack85
Aku needs development. To many off balance attempts.
RedRiverLa
Ugly basketball
BigJack85
Posey getting hot.
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

Aku needs development. To many off balance attempts.
I hate to be negative about any player, but Aku has been the biggest disappointment to me this year.
SFA Jack Fanatic
The announcer doesn't seem to know that Roti is out for the year.
purpleballs
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Maybe he knows something we don't.
nacluth
Got out of the car at a tie game. Long walk, concessions. Up by 9.

That's how I like it
No-look
They're scoring at will under the basket
BigJack85
The call on Day Hall was questionable.
SFA Jack Fanatic
purpleballs said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

No.
SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

They're scoring at will under the basket
Got to stop that! No way they should be doing that against SFA!!
PurpleOut
Staff
Our defense is what is struggling tonight.

Kensmil having a very unlucky night thus far, great looks just not falling.

Place is dead, and it seems to be rubbing off on us. No energy.
BigJack85
Shooting %……..
SFA Jack Fanatic
Why doesn't Rob Myers call the men's home games??
nacluth
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Rob was calling it tonight.
nacluth
Stud shooter Diego Willis
purpleballs
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

purpleballs said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

No.
Yeah I was joking
BigJack85
Finally falls for Kensmil.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Rob was calling it tonight.
I meant the live stream version. Why can't he do both rather that bringing in someone who doesn't have a good grasp of the SFA basketball team?
SFASawmillGuy
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Rob Meyers is technically employed by Q107.7 I believe. I think the idea was to let him keep calling radio broadcasts but make the streamed broadcast student ran.

Chris Mycoskie I believe is employed by ESPN, which is why he does the football broadcasts for ESPN3. And to be honest Chris is amazing on the call for football, so I'm glad we have him.

I do miss when Rob was the voice of most of our sports though.
purpleballs
Can we not afford those circular mops to wipe sweat of the court? It looks terrible having someone go out there on their hands and knees.
BigJack85
We look better, but still grinding.
nacluth
45-27 with 2:00 left in first. I would love for this to not get closer to the half.
purpleballs
nacluth said:

45-27 with 2:00 left in first. I would love for this to not get closer to the half.
Well we havent looked good the last 2 games closing out the half. 4 quick points by them isn't helping.
Jyank24
Have we ever thought about employing a "Student DJ" to help ramp up the crowd...I can't say I've seen us do that, maybe something that can fill in all the dead noise...
SFA Jack Fanatic
Day Day has the prettiest shot on the team around the rim. He controls the ball all the way through the release and doesn't just "let it fly".
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jyank24 said:

Have we ever thought about employing a "Student DJ" to help ramp up the crowd...I can't say I've seen us do that, maybe something that can fill in all the dead noise...
We've talked about doing that sort of thing on here for a while, including paying students to help get other students to games. But that was all it was -- talk.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.