SFA / South Dakota State

11,139 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by PurpleOut
Pilotgirl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nacluth said:

This is a good game. Jackrabbits are good shooters. Hitting all the open looks, but this is a grind.

I'm complaining to the refs, but I'll admit this crew is calling a decent game.

The rabbits are tired. But our lack of offense is helping them get their easy shots.
purpleballs
Pilotgirl said:

nacluth said:

This is a good game. Jackrabbits are good shooters. Hitting all the open looks, but this is a grind.

The rabbits are tired. But our lack of offense is helping them get their easy shots.

Hasn't affected their shooting though.
MasterAxe
SDSU knows exactly who to get the ball to and how to get them looks.

We look like the hour after a late night Taco Bell run…shatting all over ourselves.
nacluth
Offense has died. Collapsed in the last two minutes
No-look
Self destructed
TallTexan
Got cold at the wrong times tonight.

Ljacks&Longnecks
SDSU the better team right now in November.
AxeEm99
I have never seen the Lumberjacks play this bad in basketball. What happened to this team? We clearly have A LOT of work to do!
jboy93
TallTexan said:

Got cold at the wrong times tonight.
Cold is an understatement!

Ljacks&Longnecks
Hoping for a rally in the last 3 minutes but we folded up the tent instead.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Disappointed? Yes. Discouraged? No. I thought the Jacks played about as well as they're capable of at this point in the season. They played a very well disciplined team that's going to win their league. The best is yet to come.
SFA Jack Fanatic
AxeEm99 said:

I have never seen the Lumberjacks play this bad in basketball. What happened to this team? We clearly have A LOT of work to do!

I totally disagree with your initial statement. Totally.
Think about who they were playing!
RedRiverLa
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Disappointed? Yes. Discouraged? No. I thought the Jacks played about as well as they're capable of at this point in the season. They played a very well disciplined team that's going to win their league. The best is yet to come.

Exactly!
Pilotgirl
purpleballs said:

Pilotgirl said:

nacluth said:

Hasn't affected their shooting though.

Nope, cause they are shooters. Only one who missed the clinic was Douglas.
Pilotgirl
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Agreed. I think they needed this game, win or lose. Our ball movement was purposeless. SDSU ball movement was **chefs kiss** the better team, right now, won.
nacluth
nacluth
nacluth
Thanks to PurpleOut and the alumni association for the great seats. It was a treat to get to sit so close. We definitely influenced two calls for what it's worth. Only disappointed no one ended up in my lap. But 6 feet away, you can really tell how physical the guys are.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Lot of season ahead, lot of work to be done. With the tougher schedule, Jacks are going to take a few losses this season. Main objective of this team needs to be ready to roll when conference play begins...that won't be as easy this year either.
nacluth
We played good. Much better than either of the warm up games. Roti and David have both struggled all three years with getting into the games. David had a burst of about 3 minutes when he was fire out of the half, but then looked wiped. Roti never had anything this game.

Why Jossell rode the bench most of the second half is a mystery to me, but if all things were even between he and David (they're not and I'm not suggesting they should be), then I could see Jossell winning the starting job. He's not Shannon Bogues, but he's ready to play and ready to score.

Big man depth seemed to be a little bit of a struggle. Nana had his moments, but still no Aku involvement of any sort. Calvin missed a lot of close put ins. Most were contested, but still his points alone shifted the game. But starting guards were 3-14 from behind the arc and that was a back breaker. (Jossel 4-9)

Kensmil is a beast. He goes into beast mode and his eyes glaze over. He's doing everything he can.

South Dakota St. can shoot (55+%) and Noah Friedel put in clutch bucket after clutch bucket. Our turnovers were much better until about 4 in a row in two minutes after the final media that put the game out of reach.

No good losses, but this was an intense physical game. Time to work it out and destroy MTSU on Friday.
BigJack85
From what I saw (watched about 2/3 on ESPN+) our ball movement looked crisper. To many empty possessions. I was surprised at how many close up shots we missed. Was SDSU that good defensively?

The last 6-7 minutes we couldn't buy a shot. We make a few of those it's probably a nail biter. Was it my bad vision or did we look out of sync for a few stretches in the second half? Almost like we were going to right the ship then ……
wahlwesle
For what my opinion is worth, I don't think we played bad. We just couldnt buy a bucket. Shots we normally make just kept rolling off the rim. There weren't a ton of stupid mistakes. SDSU can play. They held their own against Alabama the other night until late in the second half, and shot lights out today.

Keller called out the attendance in the press conference after the game. Those that were there were loud and engaged, there just weren't enough there.
sfajack05
First of all thanks to RedRiverLA for the tickets. My daughter had a great time.

It was good to see PurpleOut and meet NacLuth.

The Jacks had their chances. We just went cold at the wrong time. Was scratching my head at some of the quick hooks and rotations. Missed a lot of points in the paint.

It was a good test for the Jacks. Gotta bounce back Friday.

Hopefully the crowd is better Friday night but I'm not holding my breath.
SFAJack_76
Announced attendance 1,878. Students no showed this one. Sad.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

From what I saw (watched about 2/3 on ESPN+) our ball movement looked crisper. To many empty possessions. I was surprised at how many close up shots we missed. Was SDSU that good defensively?

The last 6-7 minutes we couldn't buy a shot. We make a few of those it's probably a nail biter. Was it my bad vision or did we look out of sync for a few stretches in the second half? Almost like we were going to right the ship then ……
We had bouts of good rhythm and bouts of no rhythm at all. A few too many against a good team.

It's gonna take this team a little while to gel with 3 new coaches and 6 or 7 new players. Right now, we play more like a group of talented individuals than a talented team.

I think the brightest part of the night was the Gaving to Nana and back connection we had going down low 2 or 3 possessions in a row. It was working and they had no answer for it. We tried it a few times with Gavin and Calvin, it just wasn't working.

Like Nacluth said, not sure why Jossel wasn't out there more in the 2nd.

This team has more depth than some of our more recent ones, so if we can get 2 good lineups worked out, we could really spell the starters without losing momentum.
TallTexan
Also, if we're gonna spell Gavin, I feel like we should run a Nana/Johnathan tandem, atleast until they get more experience dominating in the paint.

You get a double benefit, one, you can let Gavin get a breather without giving up easy points. Two, it keeps good opponents from pulling their bigs because you've got to contend with two 6'10 guys down low.
No-look
SI thought we played really well for about thirty four minutes. Every time they punched us in the mouth we would respond. SDS is a really good team. Big with shooters. David had a good run but their coaches made adjustments with coming out on him and took away penetration to the bucket. If a few of those shots around the bucket would've fell?
SFASawmillGuy
Having had time to digest this, I'm not worried. We had bad losses literally before and after we beat Duke. We have just always played down to our opponents and that always hurts us early in the year. This team has a lot of new pieces and a long way to go, but I have faith in our staff to figure it out.
jboy93
nacluth said:

Thanks to PurpleOut and the alumni association for the great seats. It was a treat to get to sit so close. We definitely influenced two calls for what it's worth. Only disappointed no one ended up in my lap. But 6 feet away, you can really tell how physical the guys are.
I agree. I was a couple rows behind you on row C and it was a very physical game. We played a very strong second half until about the 6 minute mark. I am very optimistic.
jboy93
And a big thanks to Ljacks for the tickets!
jboy93
Just baffled why students don't show up? What the heck did they have better to do at 2 pm on a Sunday afternoon! Amazing
sfajack05
jboy93 said:

Just baffled why students don't show up? What the heck did they have better to do at 2 pm on a Sunday afternoon! Amazing

Apparently they needed to rest and catch up on work.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SDSU has one senior on their roster. All of their best players are sophomores and juniors. They will be good this year (probably win their conference and make the Big Dance again), but they will be VERY good next year. And if you didn't know, they have the best home court record in the nation over the last few years. We have nothing to be ashamed of. SDSU is talented. They are well coached, great passers, and disciplined.

When I go to UIL boys state tournaments, there are always schools with seemingly less talented individual players that manage to beat what should be better teams by being disciplined and not play undisciplined street ball. SDSU reminded me of those types of teams.
________

And on a different topic, as Nacluth mentioned, I think this was the best set of officials that we've had officiate our home games in the last few years. They missed a couple of calls, but not many. Thank goodness the SLC officials are gone.

And Jboy93, before the game began, the officials were tinkering with those little boxes on their waists while blowing their whistles. After doing that, each of them was checking with the table officials. So evidently, their whistles are somehow synced with the official scorer and/or timekeeper.
jboy93
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SDSU has one senior on their roster. All of their best players are sophomores and juniors. They will be good this year (probably win their conference and make the Big Dance again), but they will be VERY good next year. And if you didn't know, they have the best home court record in the nation over the last few years. We have nothing to be ashamed of. SDSU is talented. They are well coached, great passers, and disciplined.

When I go to UIL boys state tournaments, there are always schools with seemingly less talented individual players that manage to beat what should be better teams by being disciplined and not play undisciplined street ball. SDSU reminded me of those types of teams.
________

And on a different topic, as Nacluth mentioned, I think this was the best set of officials that we've had officiate our home games in the last few years. They missed a couple of calls, but not many. Thank goodness the SLC officials are gone.

And Jboy93, before the game began, the officials were tinkering with those little boxes on their waists while blowing their whistles. After doing that, each of them was checking with the table officials. So evidently, their whistles are somehow synced with the official scorer and/or timekeeper.
Interesting! I figured it might be something like that.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

________

Men's refs have been much improved over the SLC.

Jury is out on the Lady's refs bc their was a kick and several elbows they refused to see.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.