SFA / South Dakota State

5,927 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by PurpleOut
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (2-0) vs. South Dakota State (1-1)

WHEN: NOV 14 (SUN) 2:00P.M.
WHERE: William R. Johnson Coliseum (Nacogdoches, TX)
WATCH: ESPN+


To be honest, I hate talking about March in November before the Jacks have played a game against a single D1 opponent, but it's time to talk about it. Three returning seniors who have done everything in their collegiate career except go to the big dance have one goal for the season. Just one. Seeing their team's name get called on Selection Sunday and then showing the world what they have been working for these last years.

The next four games have a lot to say about that day. We have three top 100 Kenpom teams (if we draw Saint Louis) and a Middle Tennessee St team that thinks they can make a run in the CUSA. The odds say that we will probably play two future tourney teams in the next two weeks - all mid majors. How we are seen as a mid major force will likely be determined in this stretch. Seeding starts now.

Now forget about March. We have a really good team coming to Nacogdoches for a matinee tilt tomorrow. The South Dakota State Jackrabbits are a favorite in the Summit league and have a solid pedigree. They are starting the year 1-1 with their loss coming at the hands of #13 Alabama. Despite the loss, they shot 48% from the field scoring 88 points. The Jackrabbits live up to their name as they play with a lot of pace. They have five scorers averaging over 10 ppg led by 6'4" G Noah Friedel (So.) and 6'7" F Douglas Wilson (Sr.). 6'6" G Baylor Scheierman (So.) is averaging 16 rebounds in his two contests. This will be a tough offense to guard.

The Jacks have shown signs of life in their non-D1 tune-ups, but there has been little to hang one's hopes on so far. Defense has been intermittent, and offense has seemed to be mainly overpowering weaker players than creating good scoring chances. Starters are going to get tons of time. They have to manage their foul trouble while being aggressive. SDSU has options, and we have to start taking some away. Posey has been a bright spot in defensive intensity, but he also fouled out against Mary Hardin-Baylor. Our seniors are going to have to get that high pressure up fast or this one could get out of hand quick.

Generally SD St. plays taller than we do. This means we are going to need to be crisp in our passing. Turnovers have been our Achilles heel so far. If we can clean them up, then we have a chance to win. Our front court is going to push the Jackrabbits back, so perimeter defense will make or break this game. Offensively, Kensmil will be big, but it's going to be up to David to disect the half court. He is our point guard, and we need him to lead the team.

There's a lot of question marks going into this match, but it will be a great home court mid major match-up. We have the talent to win. Now we just have to execute.

Axe 'em!
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
Jacks4460
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Our team is as locked in to this one... we want this one bad...
Jacks4460
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nacluth said:

SFA (2-0) vs. South Dakota State (1-1)

WHEN: NOV 14 (SUN) 2:00P.M.
WHERE: William R. Johnson Coliseum (Nacogdoches, TX)
WATCH: ESPN+


To be honest, I hate talking about March in November before the Jacks have played a game against a single D1 opponent, but it's time to talk about it. Three returning seniors who have done everything in their collegiate career except go to the big dance have one goal for the season. Just one. Seeing their team's name get called on Selection Sunday and then showing the world what they have been working for these last years.

The next four games have a lot to say about that day. We have three top 100 Kenpom teams (if we draw Saint Louis) and a Middle Tennessee St team that thinks they can make a run in the CUSA. The odds say that we will probably play two future tourney teams in the next two weeks - all mid majors. How we are seen as a mid major force will likely be determined in this stretch. Seeding starts now.

Now forget about March. We have a really good team coming to Nacogdoches for a matinee tilt tomorrow. The South Dakota State Jackrabbits are a favorite in the Summit league and have a solid pedigree. They are starting the year 1-1 with their loss coming at the hands of #13 Alabama. Despite the loss, they shot 48% from the field scoring 88 points. The Jackrabbits live up to their name as they play with a lot of pace. They have five scorers averaging over 10 ppg led by 6'4" G Noah Friedel (So.) and 6'7" F Douglas Wilson (Sr.). 6'6" G Baylor Scheierman (So.) is averaging 16 rebounds in his two contests. This will be a tough offense to guard.

The Jacks have shown signs of life in their non-D1 tune-ups, but there has been little to hang one's hopes on so far. Defense has been intermittent, and offense has seemed to be mainly overpowering weaker players than creating good scoring chances. Starters are going to get tons of time. They have to manage their foul trouble while being aggressive. SDSU has options, and we have to start taking some away. Posey has been a bright spot in defensive intensity, but he also fouled out against Mary Hardin-Baylor. Our seniors are going to have to get that high pressure up fast or this one could get out of hand quick.

Generally SD St. plays taller than we do. This means we are going to need to be crisp in our passing. Turnovers have been our Achilles heel so far. If we can clean them up, then we have a chance to win. Our front court is going to push the Jackrabbits back, so perimeter defense will make or break this game. Offensively, Kensmil will be big, but it's going to be up to David to disect the half court. He is our point guard, and we need him to lead the team.

There's a lot of question marks going into this match, but it will be a great home court mid major match-up. We have the talent to win. Now we just have to execute.

Axe 'em!
Geat write up nacluth thank you!! AxeEm
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PurpleOut and I are courtside, and we're hoping to not get thrown out before the end of the game.
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Down 12-5 at first media. Refs are calling everything right now. Four Jacks with fouls in four minutes.
purpleballs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We're gonna have our hands full today.
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Much better. 16-11 at second media.
jboy93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Got to start making some outside shots.
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nacluth said:

PurpleOut and I are courtside, and we're hoping to not get thrown out before the end of the game.


What's the point of courtside if not to get thrown out?

Turn it up to 11.
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Will do Tex.

Jossell keeping us in hitting threes. David looks a little lost. Roti hasn't found his shot yet. Need those to click in.
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jossell says I've got this.
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
30-29 SDSU 3:14 left in the first. High intensity.
purpleballs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Our offense doesn't allow for a lot of spacing.
purpleballs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nacluth said:

30-29 SDSU 3:14 left in the first. High intensity.
How's the crowd? Seems a little louder there from my recliner.
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A lot of poor shooting and a couple of calls and 2 minutes later we're down by 10.
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is a very good SDST team, very disciplined and methodical.
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Everything seems loud from my seat.
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
42-34 SDSU at half. We're struggling shooting. Missed a lot of open looks. Defense has been decent. Can't let them keep making perimeter shots though.
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Disappointed Nac and Purple weren't picked for the shoe race.
No-look
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SD very good free throw shooting team
Pilotgirl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I just don't think there is any leadership out on the court...a few seem locked in but not moving as one unit, like the Ladies are, at this point. Our super seniors gotta step up, especially David, so he/some other guards can run this offense.

It also helps if you can actually put the ball in the basket, too. (Jossel excluded lol)
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jossell and Hall continue to impress. At least we know who will be the point of the future. That's huge.

Have to find some adjustments. Can't rely just on Kensmil's hard work.
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The South Dakota contingent is larger than the Purple Haze contingent.
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There is a surprising amount of Jackrabbit fans.
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We stopped the cuts amd backdoors, but they started hitting NBA threes.
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yeah baby. David wakes up and turns the game around.
jboy93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
STRONG start!!!!
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is a good game. Jackrabbits are good shooters. Hitting all the open looks, but this is a grind.

I'm complaining to the refs, but I'll admit this crew is calling a decent game.
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
One point game 7 minutes left.
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Down 7 with four left. No one's shooting for us.
No-look
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We have to have outside shooters in the game.
MasterAxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We have picked a terrible time to have our offense collapse.
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nacluth said:

Down 7 with four left. No one's shooting for us.


We're not even getting good looks.

Let's go back to the Nana to Gavin plays that we're working for us.
jboy93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What's the little "boxes" on each of the refs waistband? Just curious. We have to finish strong and make some shots.
Ljacks&Longnecks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Need a hot hand to get us back in it....getting late
Last Page
Page 1 of 3
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.