SFA / LSU-Alexandria (2021-2022 Season Opener)

12,932 Views | 121 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by LUMBERJACK2005
Pilotgirl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
pa guy said:

Concerning this year's home ESPN+ broadcasts for Lumberjack and Ladyjack basketball, my son has been tapped to do the TV play by play. I applaud him for having the courage to say yes when asked, I was asked to do fill in radio play by play for Texas A&M back in the 80s and I chickened out. He is very green and it will show. I told him to have a thick skin and to be willing to accept the constructive criticism and ignore the malicious comments. He hasn't been given a ton of direction as of yet (no one's fault, everyone is overloaded in the sports dept), but he will be a sponge and his goal is to improve with every game. Even though Rob Meyers is radio, I've told him to get pointers by listening to him because he's one of the best.

Just wanted to put this out there. There will be growing pains, but he wants to learn and would appreciate any positive direction throughout the season. Thanks and Axe 'em!
My daughter, who was a mass comm and business double major, passed on the following: tell your son to go talk to Dr. Hart in mass comm. She also recommended Dr. Greule but looks like he has retired.
BigJack85
Completely underwhelmed. Defense looks ok. Offense …. Sputtering. Awkward. Clumsy
TallTexan
The Elevate SFA campaign videos need a call to action.

"donate today at" etc.
MasterAxe
1st game 1st half overreaction:

We might win 2 games.

LSU-A, national champs, confirmed.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

From the 2021-22 Lumberjacks Official Retrospective published 4/12/2022:

"The best season in Lumberjacks history had an inauspicious start when they had only a 4 point lead to NAIA challenger LSU-A in the season tip-off. There were some signs of their later success with Gavin Kensmil dominating the offensive glass…"

Are they making Twilight Zone episodes again?
BigJack85
MasterAxe said:

1st game 1st half overreaction:

We might win 2 games.

LSU-A, national champs, confirmed.

Just saying. Offense , meh. Defense OK.
RedRiverLa
I really think the last thing Keller wants is a blowout, he wants to see combinations and use this close game as motivation, teaching, and probably to knock their ego down a bit that they think they can just turn the lights on and play.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
jboy93
That's a heck of a start for Posey!
SFA Jack Fanatic
One thing's for sure. This game is not going to strike fear in any WAC teams that are watching online.
TallTexan
Who's the tv announcer on this?

Also, shoutout to the camera team. Not perfect but better than I remember last year's being. Don't even remember many replays last year.
Pilotgirl
Pilotgirl said:

pa guy said:

Concerning this year's home ESPN+ broadcasts for Lumberjack and Ladyjack basketball, my son has been tapped to do the TV play by play. I applaud him for having the courage to say yes when asked, I was asked to do fill in radio play by play for Texas A&M back in the 80s and I chickened out. He is very green and it will show. I told him to have a thick skin and to be willing to accept the constructive criticism and ignore the malicious comments. He hasn't been given a ton of direction as of yet (no one's fault, everyone is overloaded in the sports dept), but he will be a sponge and his goal is to improve with every game. Even though Rob Meyers is radio, I've told him to get pointers by listening to him because he's one of the best.

Just wanted to put this out there. There will be growing pains, but he wants to learn and would appreciate any positive direction throughout the season. Thanks and Axe 'em!
My daughter, who was a mass comm and business double major, passed on the following: tell your son to go talk to Dr. Hart in mass comm. She also recommended Dr. Greule but looks like he has retired.

Also, please have him learn how to pronounce all the Ladies ' names correctly. Last year announcer refused to, even when he knew how. (Yes, that's a fact).
No-look
LSU shooting lights out
SFA Jack Fanatic
They have better shooters than we do. Period.
nacluth
Calvin looks like he pulled his calf.
Jacks4460
We need to go after Abney next year..Dude is a flat out baller..
nacluth
Final media. Up 4 with LSU-A at the line. Good times.

Just an exhibition for them.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks4460 said:

How can we go after a player at another 4-year university? Can we take players away from NAIA schools?
SFASawmillGuy
We should absolutely not judge ourselves based on this game…but we do not currently look like a top D1 mid major…
MasterAxe
They are playing Eastbound and Down and I ain't even mad about it.
MasterAxe
SFA_03 said:

We should absolutely not judge ourselves based on this game…but we do not currently look like a top D1 mid major…
Or a D1 team at all.
Jacks4460
Kids are allowed 1 transfer without a sit out .. He goes into the transfer portal and we get him.. Kinda like big schools are telling Xavier in football.. they are offering stupid NLI deals or whatever they are called..
SFASawmillGuy
Even when we had our undefeated conference runs and blew out WVU we always seem to play down to our opponents. That's why we can beat a team like Duke and lose to a school like Corpus.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Jacks4460 said:

How can we go after a player at another 4-year university? Can we take players away from NAIA schools?
We couldn't contact him unless he entered the portal.

But I'm not sure you have to sit out a year if you transfer up. Do you even have to sit out a year anymore?
Jacks4460
MasterAxe said:

They are playing Eastbound and Down and I ain't even mad about it.

That's funny Master
MasterAxe
Oh man, LSU-A just blew a glorious chance.

Missed the put back dunk, Jossell hits three on other end.

We are in big danger of actually losing to an NAIA school.
Jacks4460
Nope 1 transfer you don't have to sit out.. Yes would have to be contacted through back channels..
No-look
Posey?
RedRiverLa
Still undefeated baby!
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
sfa17
MasterAxe said:

We are in big danger of actually losing to an NAIA school.

Come on that's nothing new
MasterAxe
1st game overreaction/regular reaction:

Free throw shooting...woof. 10-18

Perhaps, in some strange way, this is a (EARLY) wakeup call for the new player that you must take every game seriously.

Ultimately, Gavin, Roti & Calvin (experienced guys) made enough plays to win.

We'll need them to guide the young guys through the first part of the year, before they learn the ropes of what it takes, every night.

Relatively mild reaction from me tonight.
SFASawmillGuy
Not the worst game I've seen our Lumberjacks play, but we need to finish with points. 1-8 by David was not good and free throws were very bad. Defensively we need to play more aggressively. We shouldn't have an NAIA being able to make easy shots like that all night.
Let's see against UMHB if this was the wake up call they need.
We won't know what we are until December, and I get that, but we need to find ourselves before we play SDSU.
SFA Jack Fanatic
LSU-A had better athletes than SFA. They had better shooters than SFA. They showed more energy than SFA. They were quicker to the rim than SFA. Other than that, everything was hunky dory.

Without Gavin Kensmil we would have lost to an NAIA team. Ugly, ugly game.
sfajack05
Stupid Southland re…

Wait nevermind.

It was a basketball game. Reminded me of the Letourneau game a few years ago. Move on and become better.
nacluth
LSU-A came to ball. They played with a lot of heart. They had nothing to lose and played like it.

First reaction is that David was just really not on tonight. The new guys have a lot of talent. Posey, Cofer, Hall all showed sparks. Aku and Tezeno showed nothin this game.

At the end, starters played sluggishly, but what was interesting is that Jossell was the man called up. He had the trust to finish the game. He looked the part too.

Need that second time up bad before our tough games come piling in.
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

LSU-A had better athletes than SFA. They had better shooters than SFA. They showed more energy than SFA. They were quicker to the rim than SFA. Other than that, everything was hunky dory.

Without Gavin Kensmil we would have lost to an NAIA team. Ugly, ugly game.

Our guard play did not impress me. Lots of work to be done here.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.