SFA / LSU-Alexandria (2021-2022 Season Opener)

12,933 Views | 121 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by LUMBERJACK2005
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (0-0) vs. LSU-Alexandria (3-0)

WHEN: NOV 9 (TUE) 6:30P.M.
WHERE: William R. Johnson Coliseum (Nacogdoches, TX)
WATCH: ESPN+

We're finally here! It's time to kick off the 2021-2022 SFA Lumberjack Men's Basketball campaign against the NAIA LSU-A Generals. A new year, a new performance center, new coaches, new players, new entrance tunnel - everything is fresh and ready to show off. Not to mention there is a whole new conference for the Jacks to compete in as well as a new year to make that NCAA tournament run. It's a time for excitement, and a time for the SFA faithful to show up and support your team this year.

Coach Keller may have a new look coaching staff headed by Tony Jasick (IPFW) and Dalonte Hill (So. Miss), but he has his most experienced starting squad since he became a head coach. Kalcheries, Ware, Solomon, and Kensmil will all be third year starters notching more experience than a season starting squad in a long time. They have all been tested, and with the three seniors from last year returning, they are hungry for a dominant year.

The Lumberjacks had one of the most dominant frontcourts in college basketball last year, and they don't plan on letting that inside presence slip this year. Kensmil and Solomon are ready to play hard in the paint while Nana is ready to show that his skills have grown to match his long ball-swatting arms. Charlie Daniels may be gone, but replacing him is 6'10" Texas A&M transfer Jonathan Aku. Few teams in America will have the ability to shut down their opponents' interior threats like the Jacks.

If SFA has showed some weakness the past two years, it has been in guard depth. David and Roti are back to provide a solid foundation to the backcourt, but newcomers Derrick Tezeno, Latrell Jossell, and redshirt freshman Jaylin Jackson-Posey are ready to show the WAC that the Lumberjacks can be electric from all areas of the court. Chemistry is going to be the test for this new squad, but this may be the deepest guard group since the Underwood days.

The LSU-A Generals aren't planning on letting the Jacks just stunt on them all night long. They finished last season ranked #19 in the NAIA and are already receiving votes this year. They have a formidable guard group as well led by Nicholls transfer A.J. Rainey, Joe Lewis, and Jakemin Abney. They are fast and have been averaging over 100 points a game to start this year undefeated in three contests. The Jacks are traditionally very slow and sloppy in their first game while they figure out their rotations and chemistry in front of a real crowd. The Generals plan to use this and take care of business.

On paper, SFA's fresh talent should mop the floor with the Louisiana squad. Come out tomorrow to see what actually happens.

Axe 'em!
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
No-look
Great write up! Ready for the games to start!
Ballwatch
SFA 95

LSU-A 71
BigJack85
Tough one to start. LSUA is a serious squad. I expect us to start slow (as usual) then pick up the pace in the second half. I don't expect us to "pull away" until late.

SFA 92 LSUA 76.
No-look
Usually those teams are loaded with shooters
djsfw57
I didn't think this day would ever get here. I am PUMPED for Lumberjack and Ladyjack basketball this year!!

SFA 87 LSUA 64
pa guy
Concerning this year's home ESPN+ broadcasts for Lumberjack and Ladyjack basketball, my son has been tapped to do the TV play by play. I applaud him for having the courage to say yes when asked, I was asked to do fill in radio play by play for Texas A&M back in the 80s and I chickened out. He is very green and it will show. I told him to have a thick skin and to be willing to accept the constructive criticism and ignore the malicious comments. He hasn't been given a ton of direction as of yet (no one's fault, everyone is overloaded in the sports dept), but he will be a sponge and his goal is to improve with every game. Even though Rob Meyers is radio, I've told him to get pointers by listening to him because he's one of the best.

Just wanted to put this out there. There will be growing pains, but he wants to learn and would appreciate any positive direction throughout the season. Thanks and Axe 'em!
nacluth
Play by play is quite hard and we all know it. Everyone has to grow into it, but it will be nice knowing that it's in the family.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Nice write-up, Ryan. LSU-A will probably hang with the Jacks for a half, but our inside game should be dominant and allow us to win the day.

I'm really interested to see what our new guards bring, both offensively and defensively. The rotations that Coach K uses should be fun to watch. Lots of talented guys on this team to keep happy and allow them to grow up fast for conference play down the road.
Ljacks&Longnecks
We will wish him well from here. Hopefully he will get good constructive comments along the way.
Reminds me of pre computer days when I would "call" the different baseball and football board games that I played.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Tonight on Bottlecap Alley Keller was talking up Posey as the best defense guy right now, Jossel for his shooting and DayDay Hall for showing out well in practice.
SFA Jack Fanatic
LSU-A beat East Texas Baptist 75-70 in an exhibition game in Marshall tonight. I watched a bit of it on ETBU's website.. SFA should easily handle LSU-A.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Tonight on Bottlecap Alley Keller was talking up Posey as the best defense guy right now, Jossel for his shooting and DayDay Hall for showing out well in practice.

I like the sound of that! We should be very good off the bench!
No-look
I may not even sleep tonight!
No-look
Hope there's been a push to get the students out for the game. They bring energy.
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
Rev007
SFA - 78

LSU-A - 52
SFAXE93
SFA - 103

LSU-A - 79
MasterAxe
pa guy said:

Concerning this year's home ESPN+ broadcasts for Lumberjack and Ladyjack basketball, my son has been tapped to do the TV play by play. I applaud him for having the courage to say yes when asked, I was asked to do fill in radio play by play for Texas A&M back in the 80s and I chickened out. He is very green and it will show. I told him to have a thick skin and to be willing to accept the constructive criticism and ignore the malicious comments. He hasn't been given a ton of direction as of yet (no one's fault, everyone is overloaded in the sports dept), but he will be a sponge and his goal is to improve with every game. Even though Rob Meyers is radio, I've told him to get pointers by listening to him because he's one of the best.

Just wanted to put this out there. There will be growing pains, but he wants to learn and would appreciate any positive direction throughout the season. Thanks and Axe 'em!
Tell your son not to worry. I have been in the same situation, the nerves are natural.

Once the flow of the game starts, you almost forget you're doing a job.

I got great advice from a sportscaster once, "just focus on time & score, that's all people really want to know."

I look forward to hearing him tonight!
SFAJack_76
RichieVan
SFA 94
LSU-A 73
TallTexan
pa guy said:

Rob is a great one and I was also impressed with Mycoskie and company this season during football. David Saltsman also did a great job for some Southland games last year.

But hey, as long as he isn't taking cues from Aikman and Buck, I think he'll be ok.
PurpleOut
Staff
PurpleOut
Staff
jboy93
PurpleOut said:

Looks like a winner to me! So they moved the benches? Also I think the lighter color on the wall makes it look bigger.
PurpleOut
Staff
Yeah, makes sense now as we'll be coming out of the new tunnel on the other end.
RedRiverLa
We're in the house. Nobody here. 22 minutes hope it looks 1/10 full by tip-off
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
TallTexan
jboy93 said:

Looks like a winner to me! So they moved the benches? Also I think the lighter color on the wall makes it look bigger.
It does make it look bigger.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

jboy93 said:

It does make it look bigger.

I like the wall color.

No band. Very few students. Five minutes to tip.
RedRiverLa
Is there an official student section?
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
SFAXE93
Wow the court looks great!
purpleballs
Posey looks big.
BigJack85
Not as crisp as I would hope. First gameā€¦.
nacluth
Normal first game blah. Makes the Ladyjacks preparation look stellar.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.