NCAA WBB: Round 1- SFA (12) vs Georgia Tech (5)

17,224 Views | 207 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Pilotgirl
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GT has a coach that has been COY in three different P5 conferences, and was coach of the US women's national team. She has the experience at this level. She made meaningful half time adjustments that we didn't handle well. GT is not deep, but they have outstanding talent, and size, in the starting five.
MasterAxe
SFAJack_76 said:

GT has a coach that has been COY in three different P5 conferences, and was coach of the US women's national team. She has the experience at this level. She made meaningful half time adjustments that we didn't handle well. GT is not deep, but they have outstanding talent, and size, in the starting five.
Take this, throw in a handful of misses from point blank, and it just didn't go our way.
TallTexan
Nell is certainly a great coach and a great SFA alum. Still needed help to beat the Jacks. Both can be true.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Yep, well aware of Fortner and her coaching history. Definitely outcoached us today.

Was still a fine season and I'll take conference titles and conference tourney titles all day long. That said the WAC will be tougher than the SLC so we will need to be ready to step up.
TallTexan
Also, we need to do a full accounting of the SFA coaching tree.

Men's side has Illinois, Oklahoma State, & numerous assistants.

Women's has A&M, GA Tech, Kansas.

And both current staffs have many future HCs on them.

CoachingU.
SFA Jack Fanatic
If the Ladyjacks want to Jack the Wac and go several rounds in the Big Dance next year they'll have to learn how to handle the pressure of huge games and situations.

Getting a big post player wouldn't hurt either. But those don't grow on trees, especially in women's basketball.

(Oh, and don't wait until there are 10 seconds on the 30-second clock to run your offense.)
Pilotgirl
I think we will be competitive in the WAC. Coaches will learn from this experience, too. We have lots of great players returning & excited about new ones.
nacluth
Brittingham was incredible in a game that completely excluded Zya. I know she will hate that last play forever, but she will use it to propel the Jacks in the years to come. Couldn't be prouder of this squad.
Pilotgirl
nacluth said:

Brittingham was incredible in a game that completely excluded Zya. I know she will hate that last play forever, but she will use it to propel the Jacks in the years to come. Couldn't be prouder of this squad.

Agree...Avery + Zya + Steph + Tasharian + Bri gonna be another tough defensive team
Pilotgirl
I need to give more credit to Bri...she has played absolutely beyond my expectations this year & is tenacious on D. Shame on me for doubting her capabilities.
TallTexan
I need to see who we have coming in but we're loaded with what we have coming back.

Could use a 2nd big.
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

I need to give more credit to Bri...she has played absolutely beyond my expectations this year & is tenacious on D. Shame on me for doubting her capabilities.

That was the Bri I expected last year after a great freshman season.

She is a bulldog out there.
Pilotgirl
Pilotgirl said:

nacluth said:

Agree...Avery + Zya + Steph + Tasharian + Bri gonna be another tough defensive team

And Aiyana!
nacluth
David and Gavin were both at the Coliseum. Nice to see them supporting the ladies.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

David and Gavin were both at the Coliseum. Nice to see them supporting the ladies.
That's awesome. One big family
Pilotgirl
Thanks for riding this wave with me, Sawmillers! Gonna carry this energy over for next season as well so y'all get used to me & WBB posts!
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Pilotgirl said:

That was the Bri I expected last year after a great freshman season.

She is a bulldog out there.
Remember, she played with a bad shoulder last season. Off season surgery fixed that.
SFAJack_76
No-look
We had several chances to put it away late but nothing would fall. Seems like we lost our focus second half. But a great year and looking forward to next year
SFA Jack Fanatic
Pilotgirl said:

Bri has improved by leaps and bounds. She is a much better ball handler than Marissa (but obviously not the shooter that Marissa is). She protects the ball extremely well.

Which makes me wonder... Will any of our Seniors return for another shot at the Big Dance?
Pilotgirl
Pretty sure they are all moving on
Pilotgirl
Avery has some words for everybody & I believe her!
nacluth
I believe her too.
Pilotgirl
Marissa's goodbye
SFA Jack Fanatic
Pilotgirl said:

The TV camera caught her tearing up after the game. That showed just how deeply the result cut her. As she tweeted, that result will be a personal motivator going forward.

(With her tenacity around the basket, can you imagine what a player she'd be if she was 6'4" or so?!)
TallTexan
If Avery were 6'4, we'd see her in the WNBA in 3 years.

Still an incredible player and just a freshman

Pilotgirl
Alyssa's goodbye...girl graduated with a B.S. in Biology. Super impressed!
Pilotgirl
All these good byes got me in my feels again
SFA Jack Fanatic
Pilotgirl said:

All these good byes got me in my feels again
I'm right there with ya, #1 Fan.
Pilotgirl
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Pilotgirl said:

The TV camera caught her tearing up after the game. That showed just how deeply the result cut her. As she tweeted, that result will be a personal motivator going forward.

(With her tenacity around the basket, can you imagine what a player she'd be if she was 6'4" or so?!)
From my understanding, AB has been through A LOT in the past year, so for her to be so poised and an absolute contributor that she is to the team, tells me much about her character and her resiliency. I am now her #1 fan.
djsfw57
Don't know if any of you heard Coach Fortner's post-game interview, but the FIRST thing she said was how lucky they were to beat SFA. Said some really nice things. I expected that of her because I've been watching her since she was a grad asst under Gary Blair. She's such a good woman. And she can coach her tail off.
Pilotgirl
And....Aaliyah's goodbye:
nacluth
Remember that game where she decided to just put down threes and drilled four in a row? I'll miss her.
Pilotgirl
nacluth said:

Remember that game where she decided to just put down threes and drilled four in a row? I'll miss her.

I do!! I was like WHAT?!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.