NCAA WBB: Round 1- SFA (12) vs Georgia Tech (5)

16,847 Views | 207 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Pilotgirl
Pilotgirl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Didn't want this info to get buried/lost in the post season thread:
TallTexan
Vegas odds up yet?
Pilotgirl
Hmmm...I dont know...
SFAJack_76
A post I made on 3/13:

"Creme still has us as a 12 seed. Now matched up against Georgia Tech. GT starts girls that are 6-4, and 6-5, but they are not deep. In their last game, where they were eliminated by NC State from the ACC tournament, three starters played all 40 minutes. A fourth played 39. Routinely, they only play 7. NET ranking of 31."

Their NET ended up at #30. From their web site:

https://ramblinwreck.com/jackets-earn-no-5-seed-in-ncaa-tournament/

SFAJack_76
Fun interview with ACC COY, Nell Fortner:

https://ramblinwreck.com/video-acc-coach-of-the-year-nell-fortner-joins-packer-and-durham/
djsfw57
SFAJack_76 said:

Fun interview with ACC COY, Nell Fortner:

https://ramblinwreck.com/video-acc-coach-of-the-year-nell-fortner-joins-packer-and-durham/
That was fun. I am a huge Nell Fortner fan, and have been for many years. She is a good woman and a great coach. I wish her all the best - after this season. But for now, I hope she doesn't take it too hard when she loses to the Ladyjacks.
nacluth
If any coaches or players need someone to yell loud and have an extra pass, I'll bring the home crowd flavor.
nacluth
Houston was the first team left out of the tournament.
INiedrauer
Staff
It is really hard to gauge most teams since we don't really have the non-conference data that would be there in a normal season. The Auburn win was great but they ended up not winning a single game in the SEC (although it had to be some kind of record for a winless team in single-digit losses).

Obviously, we played one tournament team in Jackson State and won easily, but that league is worse than the SLC. Just very hard to measure.

That really leaves the close loss against a really good Houston as the most meaningful non-conference game to measure how good this team really is - and it could have gone either way.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

MasterAxe
Throwback:

I played in that arena as a senior in high school, one year after it opened.

It was very nice then and is still a very nice facility.
Pilotgirl
Back to the grind...!
Pilotgirl
That was a hard, physical game. Me and V were there and during that game we looked at each other and were like "Oh this team is going places this year!" Because they didn't give up...so much grit...very evenly matched & we could've won it for sure. We would beat them today.
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl
Challenge for everybody! Gotta be strong & creative.
Pilotgirl
Program for the tournament:
SFA Jack Fanatic
Pilotgirl said:

Interesting. Washington State has only three Americans on their roster.
djsfw57
Pilotgirl said:

I find it incredible that so many teams were given at-large bids with double digit losses.
djsfw57
It irritates the hell out of me that sfajacks.com has all but ignored the Ladyjacks, other than the picture from Katy and an almost non-existent couple of paragraphs.

THIS IS A BIG DEAL - it damn sure should be treated as such by our local media.
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl
djsfw57 said:

It irritates the hell out of me that sfajacks.com has all but ignored the Ladyjacks, other than the picture from Katy and an almost non-existent couple of paragraphs.

Yeah, y'all know how I feel about this. WE have to change the culture, unfortunately. Ladies could win Sunday and will still be ignored. And I've just been looking for general articles to share...just a couple. If this were the men? We'd have so much more publicity. Went to a few Georgia Tech message boards & their Ladies' making the dance is buried way past the Mens Dance info.
So basically, I'm making it my personal duty to keep the Ladyjacks info poppin' on here!
Pilotgirl
Can't remember if I shared this or not but Denison is super proud of their alum, as they should be! Great video that shows Zya's 3 against UCA in the semis....I about lost it when she made that shot...my voice is still recovering (no lie...it was completely gone yesterday).
djsfw57
Pilotgirl said:

djsfw57 said:

Yeah, y'all know how I feel about this. WE have to change the culture, unfortunately. Ladies could win Sunday and will still be ignored. And I've just been looking for general articles to share...just a couple. If this were the men? We'd have so much more publicity. Went to a few Georgia Tech message boards & their Ladies' making the dance is buried way past the Mens Dance info.
So basically, I'm making it my personal duty to keep the Ladyjacks info poppin' on here!
Thank you! I appreciate what you are doing.
SFAJack_76
djsfw57 said:

Our web site is not good. Some of it is not having enough staff. What staff we have, has focused on social media which gets many multiple the number of hits than the web site.

The lack of coverage on the web site is not just about women's basketball, or women's sports. Read the "stories" about the men's sports. Little to nothing there either.
djsfw57
SFAJack_76 said:

djsfw57 said:

Our web site is not good. Some of it is not having enough staff. What staff we have, has focused on social media which gets many multiple the number of hits than the web site.

The lack of coverage on the web site is not just about women's basketball, or women's sports. Read the "stories" about the men's sports. Little to nothing there either.
Right - there is very little. I keep thinking it will get better. Not sure if that will ever happen, but it doesn't satisfy me. Really don't mean to be so negative. I just think the Lumberjacks and Ladyjacks should be celebrated and not just mentioned.
SFAJack_76
djsfw57 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

djsfw57 said:

Right - there is very little. I keep thinking it will get better. Not sure if that will ever happen, but it doesn't satisfy me. Really don't mean to be so negative. I just think the Lumberjacks and Ladyjacks should be celebrated and not just mentioned.
I agree with you. I hope it gets better when funding improves. I certainly will push for that. Ivey knows how I feel about it.
SFAJack_76
How the P5 live. This is what we compete with.
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

djsfw57 said:

There's a CBB and a women's CBB on Reddit. The CBB covers men's largely and has 1.5 million subscribers and the women's has 3.5k subscribers.

I always try to post our Ladyjacks stuff on the CBB just to get the eyeballs and because CBB isnt gender specific.

But ya, in general on this planet women's sports needs far more press.
Pilotgirl
SFAJack_76 said:

How the P5 live. This is what we compete with.

Must be nice...
RichieVan
Not all the big schools travel this way. A few weeks ago, while visiting my daughter at UCF (and taking in the Ladies game against Temple, mens game cancelled due to contact tracing), the Temple ladies were on my flight and stuck in the back of the plane in coach.
RichieVan
On another note, ESPN has the Ladyjacks ranked as the #44 team in the 64 team field. No respect.
Women's basketball tournament 2021 -- Ranking all 64 teams in the bracket (espn.com)
Pilotgirl
And Georgia Tech as #19...yuck! I do agree that we have to get our offensive mojo back
djsfw57
RichieVan said:

On another note, ESPN has the Ladyjacks ranked as the #44 team in the 64 team field. No respect.
Women's basketball tournament 2021 -- Ranking all 64 teams in the bracket (espn.com)
That's more than a little irritating.
Pilotgirl
SFAJack_76
RichieVan said:

Not all the big schools travel this way. A few weeks ago, while visiting my daughter at UCF (and taking in the Ladies game against Temple, mens game cancelled due to contact tracing), the Temple ladies were on my flight and stuck in the back of the plane in coach.

I suspect there is a short list of people that think of Temple as being a "big" school in athletics terms.
RichieVan
Debatable. Temple football has produced far more talent to the NFL than Georgia Tech the last 10 years and Temple Men's basketball has 33 tournament appearances and two final fours, more than double that of Georgia Tech. I would say their athletics are on par with or better than Georgia Tech, if you consider Tech a big school.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.