2020-2021 Ladyjack Basketball

36,954 Views | 234 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jboy93 said:

Is it too soon to be thinking about NCAA tournament seeding? I can't see us losing the Southland so is there any way we get a 10-11 spot?

If this were the mens team, we would've always been talking about seeding, brackets, the whole 9...
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

jboy93 said:

Is it too soon to be thinking about NCAA tournament seeding? I can't see us losing the Southland so is there any way we get a 10-11 spot?

I think 11 is the best we can hope for. More likely a 12. If we win out.

Sadly, I agree an 11 would be on the high side. It seems that we are destined for a 12 if we vanquish our tournament foes. With the same record in the WAC we would look more a 9/10 seed IMO. With CBU NMSU and Abilene Christian, this will be a solid WBB conference.
SFAJack_76
Bumped us to an 11 yesterday.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/bracketology#64-teams
nacluth
Well we haven't talked seeding about the women much because they haven't made the tournament in 20 years, and I don't think I want to put the cart before the horse.

However, I do think they make it, and there's a balance for how you want your seeding. Personally I would prefer us to be an overlooked 12 seed. It gives us the best shot at the Sweet 16. (Face a 5 then a 4 seed)

If we bump up to 11 then we start with a slightly easier 6, but then face a 3. Anytime you face a 3 seed, you're talking about probably playing one of the top 10 teams in the nation. The womens' teams are severely unbalanced at the top. As good as the Ladyjacks are (and I think they are awesome), the top 10 teams are virtually unbeatable by us. It would be like a D2 team knocking off Duke. It's not a level playing field.

The Ladyjacks can probably beat 55 teams in the field if they play their top game. I don't want to run into one that we can't for as long as possible.
Pilotgirl
If this isn't a year where people don't feel comfortable talking about the Big Dance and our Ladyjacks...then I fear there will never be a year appropriate to do so. This is our Southland Tournament to lose, which has and could happen. But we are in the driver seat. If we lose, that's on us.
The team currently in 2nd (I think) is Sam and we beat them by 35 points. Would we not already be talking about the men's brackets by now if we were defeating teams by this margin? I understand our Ladies haven't had good tournament appearances . It just seems a bit....I don't know, not quite bias but a different standard.
nacluth
Oh I agree that the men get much more attention. And you're right, of all years, this year's team deserves tons of praise and respect. But Underwood's teams changed the expectations for the men's teams and what we see as success. So far just getting the tournament experience is the level that the women need to hit.

That being said, the standard has swung way in the guys' favor when in the 80's and the 90's it was way on the women's side. I think this team has the power to push it back toward even ground.
SFAJack_76
NET up to #19. Probably more due to UH beating USF handily than our win against LU.
TallTexan
Between this & the next two years, this team has the potential to be the Brad Underwood(or higher) teams for the Ladyjacks.

There's the potential to have Visscher two years after this. Zya for 3 more. Brittingham for 4 more.

Where we'd struggle against some larger teams is where they trot out 6'6 girls who are stars. But like the guys, our defense could give us a chance to hang with some bigger schools in later rounds.

Could be an extremely fun 3 years if we can get over the tournament hurdle, a chance that was denied us last season.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Oh, there's definitely bias, Pilot. Anyone who says otherwise is lying to themselves.

But the point that Ryan makes about the popularity of the Ladyjacks in the 80's and 90's is absolutely true. You're too young to have been involved back then, but I was, and the Ladyjacks were the toast of the town, probably even the State. I made several long trips to watch them play and never did that for the Jacks at that time. Even my wife, a Prison Tech grad, hopped on the Ladyjacks train and attended the NCAA Regional in Nac with me and our boys. The place was jammed packed and rockin'. Who knows, maybe we'll see that next year. Wouldn't that be a blast?!?!
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Between this & the next two years, this team has the potential to be the Brad Underwood(or higher) teams for the Ladyjacks.

There's the potential to have Visscher two years after this. Zya for 3 more. Brittingham for 4 more.

Where we'd struggle against some larger teams is where they trot out 6'6 girls who are stars. But like the guys, our defense could give us a chance to hang with some bigger schools in later rounds.

Could be an extremely fun 3 years if we can get over the tournament hurdle, a chance that was denied us last season.
I would be shocked if Visscher is around for two years. Her goal is to play professionally in Europe. I don't know that she would leave early for that, but I am confident that she won't stay an extra year. Kellogg describes her as being professional now in how she eats, takes care of her body, studies, practices, etc. I would, of course, love to be wrong.

Agree that we will struggle to be a sweet sixteen team again without a solid inside presence. They don't have to be 6'6", but they need to be more than what we currently have. Although, the women's game is still largely guard dominant, so we can compete.

I don't want our Ladyjacks to be an Underwood team. I want them to be a Gary Blair team. He was much more successful. And, still is.
Pilotgirl
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Oh, there's definitely bias, Pilot. Anyone who says otherwise is lying to themselves.

But the point that Ryan makes about the popularity of the Ladyjacks in the 80's and 90's is absolutely true. You're too young to have been involved back then, but I was, and the Ladyjacks were the toast of the town, probably even the State. I made several long trips to watch them play and never did that for the Jacks at that time. Even my wife, a Prison Tech grad, hopped on the Ladyjacks train and attended the NCAA Regional in Nac with me and our boys. The place was jammed packed and rockin'. Who knows, maybe we'll see that next year. Wouldn't that be a blast?!?!

I know about the popularity of the Ladies past but yes, was too young to be involved at that time...well I was 10ish. Lol Any way, I was just pointing out the double standard. Why wouldn't we talk post season with such a dominating team...if the men were performing like the women are currently (and there was no ban)we would already have a separate thread going about projection, the big dance, etc. I guess my point is...to me, it doesn't matter the history so much as how this team is operating currently and we have slowly observed that turn around over the last few years. ..and crushing each team they play. I think we should celebrate and be excited about post season opportunities. I hate that fan attendance is limited in San Antonio because I would love for our fans to be able to show up for these Ladies!
Pilotgirl
I see our Ladies being dominant next year as well & look forward to attending as many games as possible and going to Vegas!

Do we know the top WBB teams in the WAC? might try to catch a couple of their games to compare...
nacluth
California Baptist is undefeated this year.
Grand Canyon is pretty good too.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Pilot, start the separate thread you were referring to. I'll add my two cents worth to it. It'll be fun! Go for it.
SFAXE93
nacluth said:

California Baptist is undefeated this year.
Grand Canyon is pretty good too.
They won't be undefeated next season
SFA Jack Fanatic
Cal Baptist appears to be a slightly above average team in a below average league. I checked their schedule and they have no what would be called impressive wins. And they haven't blown anyone away, with lots of close games. Their 20-0 record is deceiving.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Cal Baptist appears to be a slightly above average team in a below average league. I checked their schedule and they have no what would be called impressive wins. And they haven't blown anyone away, with lots of close games. Their 20-0 record is deceiving.
NET of 84. GCU is 153. Both are better than Sam, who is second best in the SLC at 166.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

I would be shocked if Visscher is around for two years. Her goal is to play professionally in Europe. I don't know that she would leave early for that, but I am confident that she won't stay an extra year. Kellogg describes her as being professional now in how she eats, takes care of her body, studies, practices, etc. I would, of course, love to be wrong.

Agree that we will struggle to be a sweet sixteen team again without a solid inside presence. They don't have to be 6'6", but they need to be more than what we currently have. Although, the women's game is still largely guard dominant, so we can compete.

I don't want our Ladyjacks to be an Underwood team. I want them to be a Gary Blair team. He was much more successful. And, still is.
That's a good point. And she has the talent to do it.

I wish Brittingham was a few inches taller. She's going to be a standoit, but she'd be unstoppable against any team in the country at 6'3 or 4.
TallTexan
I'll be honest, I don't know enough about Women's basketball as a whole to have a great seeding conversation.

I know where the men stand on at large chances in any given tournament, but I know that if the boys were beating teams by 40-50 in an undefeated conference season, we'd probably play our way into an 7 or 8 seed and be ranked.

But the women are barely getting noticed in women's college basketball & yet we'd beat half of the top 25. So I'd struggle to know where we stand, though I will say this, this team is underrated for it's talent. I just hope they get the chance to hit someone square in the mouth in the tourney.
SFAJack_76
16 points in the last AP poll. #27 if you want to look at it that way.

#25 DePaul lost today to 3-15 Butler. I saw them earlier in the season, and believed we were 15-20 better than them. No way they should have been ranked. Their NET was 56 before this loss.

SFAJack_76
Zero votes in the coaches poll.
nacluth
SFAJack_76 said:

Zero votes in the coaches poll.
Guess that means we'll have to make the second weekend of the tournament then.
migata33
I saw them play last Saturday at Lamar and was blown away. They have no off switch. They were just killing Lamar by the middle of the 3rd and still were pressing and taking away every passing lane. If it wasnt for an endless amount of fouls and free throws by Lamar the game would have been even a bigger blowout. Like every other program in the NCAA's its an almost impossibility to take out a hoss like a UCONN, Stanford or South Carolina because they have height and endless bodies off a bench better than most teams starters. The Ladyjacks are really a great team and I hope they get a reasonable seeding in the tourney assuming they win in Katy.
Pilotgirl
Well, here's one answer to our question:
SFAJack_76
Doesn't sound quite as definitive as Aaliyah, but ...
nacluth
Yeah. Despite all the fan hopes, I expect that we (and every team for that matter) will have few making a full year commitment of extra training and tough work for a fifth season of college play.
SFAJack_76
Senior games are always dicey. We can't play much worse.
SFAJack_76
NET stayed at #18. Sam is next best in SLC at #169. ACU is next at #199. Lamar and SLU are 234 and 235 respectively.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
NET up to #17. Sam #171. ACU #199.

Games to watch include #24 Rutgers at home against #22 Ohio State, and #26 FGCU tonight and tomorrow at home against 17-5 Liberty. Recall that #25 DePaul lost to 3-16 Butler on Monday. Take care of business in Huntsville, and this might be the week to get ranked in the AP poll. Maybe even get a vote by the coaches. Lose to Sam, and ... never mind.
djsfw57
SFAJack_76 said:

Games to watch include #24 Rutgers at home against #22 Ohio State, and #26 FGCU tonight and tomorrow at home against 17-5 Liberty. Recall that #25 DePaul lost to 3-16 Butler on Monday. Take care of business in Huntsville, and this might be the week to get ranked in the AP poll. Maybe even get a vote by the coaches. Lose to Sam, and ... never mind.
I would love to get votes in the coaches' poll, but I don't expect that to happen at all. For some reason the coaches don't think we deserve their votes, even though we could beat most of their teams.
SFA, Class of 1979
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76 said:

Rutgers beat OSU by 8, so neither will drop out. FGCU crushed Liberty by 20, so no help there.
djsfw57
This may very well be the week we get ranked. First DePaul lost to 3-16 Butler. Today #21 South Dakota State (#1 in the mid-major poll) just lost to 5-12 Omaha. Keeping my hopes up!!
SFA, Class of 1979
SFAJack_76
djsfw57 said:

This may very well be the week we get ranked. First DePaul lost to 3-16 Butler. Today #21 South Dakota State (#1 in the mid-major poll) just lost to 5-12 Omaha. Keeping my hopes up!!
South Dakota State shot 22.4% from the field. Omaha came in with an SLC like NET of 246.
TallTexan
Loving this ESPN3 coverage.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.