End of Year Awards

26,410 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TallTexan
MasterAxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We're at the point I think we can hypothesize what might happen with superlatives for SFA.

(Note: It's the SLC, so nothing should surprise anyone)

Virtual Locks:

POY - Kevon
COY - Keller (From the dumpster fire of last year to now, incredible)

Other Possible:

DPOY - John
Newcomer - Cam/Gavin

(I don't think the SLC gonna have 3 or 4 superlatives from one team, though)

All-SLC Possibilities:

Kevon -1st

Gavin/Cam/Jon/Nate - 2nd

Maybe Charlie grabs a H/M

Again, who the hell knows, but, I think these would be pretty accurate.

But, if we learned anything from last year, winning matters. Shannon and Kevon were early top-5 players, but because we were so terrible, it worked against them.
jboy93
I agree with both John and Coach...seems like there is a kid from McNeese that is lighting it up so it might be tough for Kevon to get POY. I liked that Keller pulled Kevon last night even though he was filling up the basket. He could have went for 30! The rest will do him good over the next few weeks!
These guys seem to be very focused so I don't think that the Sweet 16 is too lofty of a goal! GO JACKS!
BigJack85
MasterAxe said:

We're at the point I think we can hypothesize what might happen with superlatives for SFA.

Virtual Locks:

POY - Kevon

Other Possible:

DPOY - John
Newcomer - Cam/Gavin

All-SLC Possibilities:

Kevon -1st

Gavin/Cam/Jon/Nate - 2nd

But, if we learned anything from last year, winning matters. Shannon and Kevon were early top-5 players, but because we were so terrible, it worked against them.

Master. I think you nailed it. Comeaux could slip in beyond DPOY.
MasterAxe
jboy93 said:

I agree with both John and Coach...seems like there is a kid from McNeese that is lighting it up so it might be tough for Kevon to get POY. I liked that Keller pulled Kevon last night even though he was filling up the basket. He could have went for 30! The rest will do him good over the next few weeks!
These guys seem to be very focused so I don't think that the Sweet 16 is too lofty of a goal! GO JACKS!
The precedent was set last year that even if a player is statistically worthy (like Shannon and Kevon were) that winning matters. What hurts the MCN player is that the team might not make the SLC tourney.

I still don't see how a voter says the best player from a (potentially) 17-1 conference team is not the POY.

But, Southland does things that make you scratch your head all the time.
cboothe09
Keller will get Coach of the Year. Conference Champions and such a bounce back from last year...

If we learned anything last year, Player of the Year is going to come from the champions, so I think it is Kevon's to lose. IF they hadn't fallen off, I think Kai Mitchell would have been in the running. The kid from McNeese will be First Team. His team fell off too much, as they are fighting for their lives to make the SLC Tournament. That is what kept Kevon and Shannon from getting that consideration last year.

I think Robinson or Dubose gets Offensive Player of the Year, and Comeaux gets Defensive Player of the Year. Newcomer will be an interesting race. SFA has a lot of guys that fall into that category. Whether it is Cam, or Calvin, or Roti, there are options.

As for First Team, we get Gavin and that's it.

We may get two on the Second team, but if we have learned anything about the SLC, they like parity and spreading out awards.

We will get multiple Honorable Mention...
cboothe09
My guess of what it will look like. Not saying this is what it should be, but what I think it will be...

1st Team:
G - Ian Dubose (HBU)
G - Bryson Robinson (UNO)
F - Sha'markus Kennedy (McNeese)
F - Kai Mitchell (SHSU)
C - Gavin Kensmil (SFA)

2nd Team:
G: Payten Ricks (ACU)
G: Roti Ware (SFA)
F: TJ Atwood (Lamar)
F: Ty Brewer (SLU)
C: Hayden Koval (UCA)
nacluth
If it was a fair world, Sha'markus Kennedy would be the unanimous pick for POY. He is the points leader, highest fieldgoal percentage, most rebounds (offensive and defensive), highest offensive efficiency, and highest block percentage. He is higher than Kevon in every category except a couple defensive ones. But, it's hard not pull the player of the year from the far and away best team in the league. I think Kevon will probably be the man, but if it's not him, it better be Kennedy.

John's a decent shot for DPOY. Personally, I think Kevon pulls first team, John and Gavin second. But, I could see either of them sneak up to the top ballot. Gavin has as good as shot as any for newcomer of the year, but I could see Bergersen (UCA) or McClanahan (Nicholls) also being in the running.
jboy93
I agree on Kennedy. Just looked at conference stats and he is the man. Don't want to take anything away from Kevon but if they can be fair, Kennedy would get it.
I bet Kevon would take a trip to the Sweet 16 over the Southland POY!
SFA Jack Fanatic
Kevon is the undisputed leader of easily the best team in the SLC. Kennedy is scoring points for a bad team. Would he get those if he had four good support players around him who were capable of putting points on the board the way our Jack players are? No.

Sorry guys, but if KEVON doesn't get POY after the TWO great years he has had (remember that he should have been a first-teamer last year) then injustice will have been done by the SLC bigwigs once again this year!
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Kevon is the undisputed leader of easily the best team in the SLC. Kennedy is scoring points for a bad team. Would he get those if he had four good support players around him who were capable of putting points on the board the way our Jack players are? No.

Sorry guys, but if KEVON doesn't get POY after the TWO great years he has had (remember that he should have been a first-teamer last year) then injustice will have been done by the SLC bigwigs once again this year!
If by SLC bigwigs, you mean head coaches and SID's, then you would be correct about who makes the selections. Not sure that I consider them to be SLC bigwigs.

Kevon is the best player on our team, but Comeaux is the leader. Or, as Keller describes Comeaux, he is the heart and soul of the team.
jboy93
"I think Kevon is going to be the [Southland] player of the year," Golding said. "I'm going to vote for him as [Southland] player of the year. I think he deserves it."

This was from the ACU paper...
MasterAxe
MasterAxe said:

Virtual Locks:

POY - Kevon

Other Possible:

DPOY - John
Newcomer - Cam/Gavin

All-SLC Possibilities:

Kevon -1st

Gavin/Cam/Jon/Nate - 2nd

Just a heads up...I feel like I absolutely crushed this.
jflandis
MasterAxe said:

MasterAxe said:

Virtual Locks:

POY - Kevon

Other Possible:

DPOY - John
Newcomer - Cam/Gavin

All-SLC Possibilities:

Kevon -1st

Gavin/Cam/Jon/Nate - 2nd

Just a heads up...I feel like I absolutely crushed this.

Can't argue that you didn't. 99% accurate. Go ahead and make a bold prediction for the dance and let's sit back and ride your hot streak.
CertifiedAxeman98
The awards that matter more to me.

PurpleOut
Staff
District 22 Coach of the Year for Keller.

https://www.southland.org/news/2020/3/23/mens-basketball-six-student-athletes-sfa-hc-kyle-keller-honored-on-nabc-all-district-22-squad.aspx
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

District 22 Coach of the Year for Keller.

https://www.southland.org/news/2020/3/23/mens-basketball-six-student-athletes-sfa-hc-kyle-keller-honored-on-nabc-all-district-22-squad.aspx

Should have been national coach the year. Glad to see him get this recognition though. He and the staff earned it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.