SFA / Texas A&M - Corpus Christi (2)

20,028 Views | 161 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TallTexan
Ljacks&Longnecks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Agree with No Look and Ryan about the turnovers....sure would like to see those cut down some by Katy and beyond. Yep, the fast break throwaways too.
SFAJack_76
sfa17 said:

we have 21 wins but it doesn't feel like 21 wins because every game is stressful and hard to watch. The turnovers need to stop.
Perhaps it doesn't feel like 21 because it is 22?
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

What's the spread set on the amount of days for the SLC to acknowledge that we've qualified for Katy?
Ladyjacks have qualified also. Although, the goal is much higher than that.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Besides the feed and too many turnovers, the officiating left much to be desired AGAIN and really kills any flow to a game. Believe that contributes at times to lack of focus when the whistle blows every few seconds.

I mean, Rob Meyers is a bit of a homer and usually comments on refs here and there but he was really going after it today, apparently the same ref made many of the calls. Look at the large number of fouls and how long the game ran. Love Meyers as our broadcaster....far better than many I have heard.
No-look
When the feed came back on close to the end the game the game was about a minute ahead of the radio broadcast.
nacluth
First impressions: Whew...they did it. No John and another no show from Cam, Charlie and Gavin sitting the second quarter of the game on fouls, no bench scoring, I was pretty worried. But, Corpus really is bad and couldn't capitalize on our scoring drought of almost 5 minutes. Never really got too close for comfort in the second.

Starting four just dominated. When Kevon had to sit with four fouls, Roti and Gavin just took over.

Gavin: 23 points, 5-5 ft, 4 rebs, 1 ast
Roti: 11 points, 3-3 ft, 3 rebs, 5 ast, 6 stl, 2 blk...and 6 TO's.

Add 17 by Kevon in a standard game, Nate with 10 points and 8 boards, and 61 points from those four guys. (Technically Cam's 2 points add to the starter's total). Another game with 12 points from the bench. Those guys are doing well defensively, but this is the kind of game that top 25 teams put away because their bench will put up points too. No real complaints though. It is not easy to play on the island anytime.

Time for a bye week. Let's get healthy. (You John. You.) Now that Katy is assured, let's focus for our final push. A couple more wins and we'll have the double bye. It's time to get championship focused. It's a perfect time to get a little R&R before that last month and a half to the National Championships.
SFAJack_76
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Besides the feed and too many turnovers, the officiating left much to be desired AGAIN and really kills any flow to a game. Believe that contributes at times to lack of focus when the whistle blows every few seconds.

I mean, Rob Meyers is a bit of a homer and usually comments on refs here and there but he was really going after it today, apparently the same ref made many of the calls. Look at the large number of fouls and how long the game ran. Love Meyers as our broadcaster....far better than many I have heard.
Meyers does a great job. We were listening on the way home from the Ladyjack game. He was really calling out one ref by name. "He must have gotten a new whistle, and is breaking it in." The same ref later gave Keller the T. Rob called him out for being bad on both ends.
sfa17
SFAJack_76 said:

sfa17 said:

we have 21 wins but it doesn't feel like 21 wins because every game is stressful and hard to watch. The turnovers need to stop.
Perhaps it doesn't feel like 21 because it is 22?
That could be why
sfa17
nacluth said:

What's the spread set on the amount of days for the SLC to acknowledge that we've qualified for Katy?

36 minutes ago
nacluth
Good for them.
sfa17
They deserve it
BigJack85
Only 8 more W's then the big dance.
SFASawmillGuy
BigJack85 said:

Only 8 more W's then the big dance.

Only 12 more wins til SFA gets a national title! Man this whiskey is strong.
RedRiverLa
Heard a recent interview from a former NAC sportscaster who came back for last weekends game. He said we are a definite NCAA tournament caliber team that just seems bored with southland play and is ready and waiting for bigger tournament games. Also was highly disappointed in the home support for a duke beating, 22-3 team. The support staff do a great job on getting the word out, and $5 to cram the coliseum. If not now, when? I tend to agree with him on both points.
PurpleOut
Staff
RichieVan said:

Roti a standard jump step called a walk. Horrible
This was insane. Ref three feet away calls the foul on Corpus, ref 20 feet away runs in an overrules with a travel. Ridiculous.
PurpleOut
Staff
Hard to gauge the game from missing minutes on the feed and going back and forth to the radio. Worst part of the feed was them switching to the baseline camera every 5 seconds. Awful.

Shot 51% overall, definitely good. But only 2-8 from 3. Didn't totally need the three last night, with Gavin dominating down low. 71.9% from the FT is decent enough, but we took 32. So missing 9 FTs is still big. Don't need to harp on turnovers again, but 20 doesn't cut it.

My feed went out when Kevon got his fouls, but two fouls with no time off the clock seemed hard to believe. Him sitting definitely hurt our second half push.

With John out, Kevon sitting, Cam with cramps/overall bad game...that's a decent road win.

Also, 53 total fouls in the game. Even with the intentional fouls in the game, that's ridiculous. I think Rob said at the U4 that there had already been 27 fouls in the 2nd half. Very frustrating in general.
CertifiedAxeman98
PurpleOut said:

Hard to gauge the game from missing minutes on the feed and going back and forth to the radio. Worst part of the feed was them switching to the baseline camera every 5 seconds. Awful.

Shot 51% overall, definitely good. But only 2-8 from 3. Didn't totally need the three last night, with Gavin dominating down low. 71.9% from the FT is decent enough, but we took 32. So missing 9 FTs is still big. Don't need to harp on turnovers again, but 20 doesn't cut it.

My feed went out when Kevon got his fouls, but two fouls with no time off the clock seemed hard to believe. Him sitting definitely hurt our second half push.

With John out, Kevon sitting, Cam with cramps/overall bad game...that's a decent road win.

Also, 53 total fouls in the game. Even with the intentional fouls in the game, that's ridiculous. I think Rob said at the U4 that there had already been 27 fouls in the 2nd half. Very frustrating in general.
The FT stat looks better on paper than it really was given they were missing the front end of 1&1 so you could easily say they had several other FT they missed out on since they missed the first one and didn't get the second one. I saw like 3 in the 2nd half that were back to back to back. Missing front end of a 1&1 is just like a turnover you are just handing the ball back to them if you don't get the rebound.
nacluth
We missed all the one and ones in the second in the middle of missing 7 in a row. Once we got through that, we hit all but one down the stretch (8-9).
RichieVan
The refs were just bad both ways. An Islander player literally barely touched Roti with his hand coming off a screen and the foul was called. It was hard to watch.
CertifiedAxeman98
Agreed. I left work late last night so on the way home I listened to part of the game on the Q107 app. It was funny to listen to Rob take jabs at the refs on the way home.

"Of course you know which ref that was again with the whistle"

"He must have a new whistle that he needs to break in"

"Both refs blew the whistle at the same time and look at each other trying to decide who was going to make a call ... and finally they decide on a travel"

"I have never seen all 3 refs go to a monitor for a review before"
PurpleOut
Staff
Did anyone have the video feed when Keller got his technical? I was listening on the radio and Rob didn't seem to know what exactly happened. But you could also hear either Keller or the official in the background saying "You stepped right in front of me."

There was an incident a few weeks ago where Mike Nance, an official that is known for being over the top, bumped into Rick Barnes. Appeared to be on purpose as Rick was standing dead still.

nacluth
Rob said on the radio that Keller was wanting to dispute a call, ran over to the official and bumped into him. But no video, so unclear about how it happened.
TallTexan
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

Agreed. I left work late last night so on the way home I listened to part of the game on the Q107 app. It was funny to listen to Rob take jabs at the refs on the way home.

"Of course you know which ref that was again with the whistle"

"He must have a new whistle that he needs to break in"

"Both refs blew the whistle at the same time and look at each other trying to decide who was going to make a call ... and finally they decide on a travel"

"I have never seen all 3 refs go to a monitor for a review before"
I loved "he must have a flight that he really wants to miss"

And later "well he's definitely missed his flight now".

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.