SFA / Texas A&M - Corpus Christi (2)

20,220 Views | 161 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TallTexan
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA [RV] (21-3, 12-1) vs. Texas A&M - Corpus Christi (10-14, 6-7)

WHEN: FEB 12 (WED) 7:00 P.M.
WHERE: American Bank Center (Corpus Christi, TX)
WATCH: Islander Digital Network

One win. Just one win. In a season where a team has racked up twenty-one and have a streak of eight wins going, what is one more win? Everything.

Last year, SFA just needed that one win for the last four games of the season to make Katy and make the miserable year just a little more bearable. It didn't happen. A talented team that is eyeing down a perfect conference record like other teams before them. Nope. One more win could have erased that -1 from the byline with a perfect 0 and a lot more top 25 talk. One win means a lot.

Wednesday, one win means locking up the trip to Katy this year. One win means giving it back to the team that blemished our record in our house. One win is going to clear the monkey off the shoulders of any doubt going into Katy because we will have beaten every Southland team this year. This game is big, and the Jacks know it. They are ready to win against the Islanders.

Last time out, Corpus did two things well. They hit a ridiculous near 60% three point percentage, and they kept anyone from scoring with a physical tight-knit defense. Kevon got 24, Kensmil chipped in 10, but it was a whole bunch of piddling from everyone else. We need a team this time to put buckets up. Last time, the Jacks were coming off four games against the worst teams in the conference. This time, Keller's team know that they are the best in the league because they have been tested. They want to show that to the Islanders this time.

Corpus is a home team. Ironically the only conference home game they have lost is to last place SE Louisiana, but home court advantage is going to be tested against a squad looking to finish this season perfect on the road in SLC play. Expect our bigs to be a little more dominant this time. Cam had 5 points in the previous meeting. His game is due for an eruption. Twelve total bench points is all we saw on Saturday against UNO. That number has to be higher. Stats say that Corpus shouldn't have really won the first game. Here's to math putting them back in their place.

Kevon has 20 points remaining to pass Walkup as the SFA D1 points leader. You know that he will be hungry for that title as soon as possible. Go get 'em Kevon!

Axe 'em!
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
RedRiverLa
Didn't they also hit 97% of their FTs?
SFAXE93
6 of their last 8 games at home, nice down the stretch for them.
No-look
Huge road game! Keep the W's coming!
TallTexan
RedRiverLa said:

like 103% if I remember correctly.
No-look
TallTexan said:

RedRiverLa said:

like 103% if I remember correctly.
It hit that # about the middle of second half.
No-look
SFAJack_76
RedRiverLa said:

Shooting 70% for the season. SFA is shooting 69.4%. We get to the line a lot more. 601 to 416.
SFAJack_76
Bain playing or not is a meaningful question.
RichieVan
Don't look now, but the Jacks are 7th in the nation in FG%, 27th in 3-pt FG%.
SFAJack_76
RichieVan said:

Don't look now, but the Jacks are 7th in the nation in FG%, 27th in 3-pt FG%.
#1 in turnovers forced. #2 steals per game. #7 in free throw attempts. #9 in free throws made. (Free throw % #216 out of 350.) #7 won/loss percentage. #15 offensive rebounds per game. #18 rebound margin. #13 scoring margin. #14 scoring offense.

No doubt, some of this is stat building against a low strength of schedule. Still, pretty salty.
nacluth
The free throw percentage at 216 is up from the 300's. We've been doing much better than about 60% that we were at.
RedRiverLa
RedRiverLa said:

My bad, it was only 92.9% at the line.
SFAJack_76
Twenty points short of Walkup's career SFA D1 scoring record.
KirkHeath12
SFA is a 9 point favorite. Revenge game, bet it!
Class of 2012
Axe Em
Pilotgirl
LET'S GOOOOOOOOOO!!! I AM READY FOR REVENGE.
jboy93

Let's GO JACKS!
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Twenty points short of Walkup's career SFA D1 scoring record.

Wow. Did not realize he'd come that close already.

That's impressive.
Pilotgirl
Fingers crossed that CC stream is free?? And halfway decent?
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

You ask for miracles.
No-look
Pilotgirl said:

Anyone have the answer to this very important question?
nacluth
Pretty sure it's free. Just click the link in the first post.
BigJack85
Revenge should be served with a double digit SFA road win.
nacluth
I want to see how y'all feel about the team as of late. At the beginning of the season, we were getting 9-11 men on the score sheet every game usually dominated by Kevon, Cam, and Kensmil. Since the beginning of conference, there has been a steady shift against our bench in terms of scoring - most notably Cam but the others too.

The starting five which didn't have virtually any scoring from Roti and Nate early are now putting in about 60ppg - which is outstanding for a starting five. 15-20 from the bench is usually enough to win with our defense. However, earlier we were getting closer to 30 mainly from Cam and David.

Do you think this is just a switch to our starters really clicking or are we making a critical coaching change? The season really is a grind, and it's tough for anyone to keep it rolling all season, so maybe our bench just doesn't have the same legs. Thankfully, there's not too much of a defense fall off even if there is a noticeable offensive lull with the second team in.

Do you think there will be a late season resurgence of Cam and David's game? Are we going to be able to roll into the high 80's/game like earlier in the season or are we settling down for mid-70's on average? I think we have the firepower to put up one good game in the tourney, but can we ratchet up intensity by the end of conference or do we just hang on?
TallTexan
I think a large part of it is that our starting lineup has improved & gelled. Any one of those guys is gonna be a leader when they're on the court, so it makes sense that they'll be scoring even if only two of the starting 5 is out there.

Personally, feel like Kalchyries has been playing more timidly lately. I think Cam is still a great change up to throw at opposing teams & he's been playing pretty defense IMO.

I think between Charlie, David, Cam, they might not score 30 a game combined, but sometimes you need one of them to drop 15 on a day when one of the starters isn't firing on all cylinders or is in foul trouble. And they're playing that role well.

And Charlie in particular has played quiet well against opposing bigs the last few games.

Overall, I think we need to work harder at pulling away from bad teams, but I like how this team has gelled as the season goes on.

But tonight let's turn the burners on & get Zivney some garbage time minutes.
wahlwesle
I think we see Cam come back strong. His personal problems have contributed to his lack of performance lately.

I think David's slump is a result of John playing so well.
SFAXE93
Oh no we are RV on the AP again.
cboothe09
I just pray we get through this one healthy and with a win. This stretch of games has been physically and emotionally draining. I'm sure the guys are amped for this one, as it gives us a chance to avenge our lone loss in conference play.

In perspective, we lost by one in a game where we were outscored 30-21 from behind the arc and our opponent missed just one free throw all night...I don't expect lightning to strike twice. We do need to come out strong and not fall into an early hole again. If Roti can knock down more of those jumpers to open lanes for Kevon and Cam, I think we should be in good shape here.

The bench will ultimately be the difference here. Corpus outscored us 26-20 on the bench. Again, something I don't see happening again...
BigJack85
I think it's (line-up/minutes) entirely dependent on how the opponent defends our offense. Cam is a match-up problem for teams that run a more traditional zone. What I'm saying is that I think Keller is holding back a few line ups to give him some flexibility come tournament time.
jboy93
Time to kick some "Islander" butt! Isn't an "Islander" just a bum that wonders the beach? Maybe they should rethink that!
No-look
jboy93 said:

Time to kick some "Islander" butt! Isn't an "Islander" just a bum that wonders the beach? Maybe they should rethink that!
. I'm gonna hold the trash talk until after the game. Lol. Didn't nacluth jinx us the last time we played them?
TallTexan
Got to town a little early for the women's game & noticed that Nacluth is some sort of immortal being.

Apparently used to go by the name Y'Barbo.

nacluth
I have no knowledge of which you speak.
No-look
Classic!
No-look
There is practically no one in attendance. That's got to be disheartening to the players.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.