SFA / Nicholls State

15,470 Views | 126 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by nacluth
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (19-3, 10-1) vs. Nicholls State (14-8, 8-3)

WHEN: FEB 5 (WED) 6:30 P.M.
WHERE: William R. Johnson Coliseum (Nacogdoches, TX)
WATCH: ESPN+

Boom! That was the sound of the Lumberjacks felling a big one Saturday night in Huntsville. In one week, the Jacks took down two of their closest competitors with some authority, and now there's one left. Nicholls State is now back in second place after the Jacks lowered the Bearkats back a game. This five game stretch (three on the road) has been the turning point in the Southland season, and SFA has passed every test. Now, they have a big game at home Wednesday night to close out all the best of the SLC right where they want to be - on top.

The Colonels have looked the part of spoilers all season. In November, they took a now ranked Illinois to OT, beat solid ACC member Pitt, kept a game with ranked LSU to 10, and almost edged Rhode Island in Jamaica. A solid resume. Then conference play happened. They haven't been able to top the best in the SLC except for a road win at Sam when the Bearkat team was battling the flu. Not a bad year, but not quite great either. Unrealized perhaps.

Nicholls will try to change that now. Coming off a bye, this upperclassmen team - rare for the Southland this year - will be gunning to put their stamp on this year by knocking off the Duke beaters. The Colonels have one of the best starting fives that the Jacks will face. Led by Dexter McClanahan (6'4" Sr. G) and Elvis Harvey (6'8" Sr. F), they have a very balanced front to back team. Houston native Warith Alatishe (6'7" So. F) is one of the best young bigs in the SLC (averaging 9 rebounds/game). Plus like the last two teams, they play a high pressure defense that is in the top 10 in steals and forced turnovers. Generally speaking they have an average offense, but it's physical and grinding. They are not blowing the doors off of anyone, but they will wear you out.

Keller has been answering a lot of questions about what he can do with decent SFA talent, but the main success these Jacks have had has been in their interior. Jeremy Cox has Kensmil, Daniels, Bain, and Solomon playing a harassing inside defense while picking and ducking around the paint for easy buckets. One on one, they might not beat any strongmen, but as a unit, they are tearing down the competition. Expect more of the same against Nicholls State. This may be their ultimate test.

Roti is becoming a reliable offensive weapon. He needs help from his bench counterparts of Cam and David. Those two could easily be chipping in an additional 25 points a game, but lately it's been around 10. This is the time of the year they need to start finding that other gear. Kevon is doing what he can on his bum knee, but he is driven. This whole team is. Hungry. Don't think that they are full feasting on Bearkat meat. They are insatiable.

It's another big week for Lumberjack basketball. Let's get it.

Axe 'em!
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
No-look
Excellent as usual Ryan! This a very important game for the Jacks. Win this one and we keep the separation in tact. Wednesday is the only shot we have at Nicholls during regular conference play. We need this one to help in case of a tie breaker. Axe 'Em!!!
nacluth
Good point. I've refrained myself from talking seeding, but it is true that tiebreakers matter. Unfortunately, if you only play a team once, by Southland rules, head to head does not count as a tiebreaker.
Ballwatch
Great write-up!
No-look
We just need to keep winning and everything will work out.
nacluth
This game will conclude our twelve game cycle through all the Southland teams. After this game, they will all be repeats.
nacluth
Game day!!! Man I love the middle of the season with all these games!

Ok. Listen to the colonel.

jboy93

GO JACKS!
RichieVan
Jacks favored by 9.5
nacluth
Where's No-look? I need a fellow SFA junkie to ask for more basketball talk with me. I'm jonesin' over here for more b-ball action.
TallTexan
This is just a pet peeve of mine, but the urinal cakes and trash bags at WRJ should be orange, not purple.
No-look
nacluth said:

Where's No-look? I need a fellow SFA junkie to ask for more basketball talk with me. I'm jonesin' over here for more b-ball action.
I'm here now. Lol
No-look
Hart not dressed out.
jboy93
In the Mill and ready to go!
jboy93
That's not good. Hopefully Gavin will be okay!
jboy93
Taking him to the locker room.
TallTexan
jboy93 said:

That's not good. Hopefully Gavin will be okay!

Didn't look intentional but definitely looked like he got poked in the eye from his reaction.
nacluth
Sloppy.
nacluth
Nice to Solomon in.
sfa17
Kensmil is back in the game
nacluth
Playing much crisper.
nacluth
Bonus with 10 minutes left.
nacluth
2 fouls in 10:30 for Jacks! Impressive play.
cboothe09
Nicholls is fast and pesky on defense...We seem to be handling the pressure pretty well
nacluth
Go to go to church. Someone post from time to time please.
cboothe09
They are all in on attacking Oddyst
jboy93
I think we are perfect from the line!
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Go to go to church. Someone post from time to time please.

Well there goes the lead I guess.
TallTexan
Purple haze was consistently louder in Huntsville.
TallTexan
John would have been a heck of a DB if he'd played football.
cboothe09
Our defense is playing at a very high level
cboothe09
Alatishe is good. Dude is all over the place for the Colonels and physical is an understatement..
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks up 32-22 at the half.
TallTexan
Twirlojacks and trampolines is gonna be something.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Ladyjacks up 54-44 after three.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.