SFA / Incarnate Word

14,901 Views | 116 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TallTexan
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (14-3, 5-1) vs. Incarnate Word (4-12, 1-4)

WHEN: JAN 18 (SAT) 4:30 P.M.
WHERE: William R. Johnson Coliseum (Nacogdoches, TX)
WATCH: ESPN+

After what in most years would be considered the first third of conference, the Lumberjacks are in first place at 5-1. This Keller led squad has done what his teams in the first three years couldn't - be the big dogs of the SLC. They have done it by cleaning out the bottom dwellers, and they have one more game against a terrible team before the tough middle of the season.

The Jacks have had their way with lesser teams all year, but in the last week, they have the same amount of points as their opponents - despite being heavily favored. Fouls and turnovers have been the culprit.

The Jacks lead the nation in forcing turnovers, but they themselves are in the top 10 worst teams for giving the ball away. SFA is currently the worst team in the conference at the line. The Southland may be bad generally at basketball, but they are one of the strongest conferences at shooting free throws. The discrepancy has cost the Lumberjacks one game and nearly a second.

Causing 20 turnovers a game isn't going to help if you give up one less. Letting teams get 10+ points than you at the line means trash teams keep up. Kevon and company have to get their fundamentals back in check.

The Cardinals are bad. Their one D1 win was a last minute win at home against UNO. They are below average in just about every stat, and they don't shoot the three well. On paper, it's a slaughter. However, teams are focusing on Kensmil as the weak link in the foul game... and it's working. UIW will try the same. SFA has to limit the silly fouls down low.

Roti and David have been playing the best over the last week. Let's hope the rest of the team plays with intensity at home in front of the double header crowd.

Axe 'em!
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFA Jack Fanatic
Yes, Roti and David pulled our rear ends out of the fire last night with their threes.

And how can the Jacks fix FT shooting quickly? They can't. That's not a quick fix. Our Achilles heel the rest of the way.
RichieVan
You can fix things quickly. I was a Coach for several years at the pre-high school level and taught players how to shoot. When I played, I was a 90%+ free throw shooter.
First, Keller has to set aside time at every practice for FT shooting, time for at least 100 per day (I don't know if he does this already, but if he isn't, he should). Free throw shooting is simply muscle memorization.
Second, and viewing this on the computer screen and not in person, the players are not finishing their free throws. You don't need to change your overall form, but you must apply and replicate technique. Using your legs to drive the ball and then finishing your shot at the top of your release. For example, look at Kevon when he releases his 3-ball and makes it. It is delivered freely and he completes the shot with form follow through with shoulders completely square. On his foul shots, he uses less of his lower body and places less emphasis on form. Players sometimes think that, because they are at 15 feet rather than 22 feet, they need less drive or weaker form because of the shortened distance. This is completely wrong. The top of the shot determines distance. You don't have to perform a jump shot from the foul line, but you could. I told my players to start the shot with your legs, keep the elbow tucked, flow through the shot without hesitation and pretend to grab the rim at release. Repetition will enable the player to determine a comfortable release point, which will also determine the appropriate arc.
Not every player is going to be a 90% FT shooter. But there is no excuse for a collegiate player to hit less than 70% of his/her free throws.
I saw one comment about Calvin and they were spot on. He shot puts the ball to rim. He needs to put the ball on his finger tips and should never go below the knuckle. He also needs more arc so the shot is softer.
On our 3 point shots, a few players could use better footwork. A good three point shooter needs to land at or slightly ahead of where he takes off. Roti and Oddyst are having a few issues because of their slight backward lean, and not landing properly.
Sorry for the rant, but the FT shooting drives me nuts. Thanks.
No-look
This is spot on Richie. I was watching Solomon last night and he was flat palming the ball which gives little control of the shot. I never was a good basketball player but I could shoot, which gave me some playing time. Form, repetition etc. Solomon will get to the line often. His shot can be corrected with dedication. I'm pretty good at this arm chair coaching. Lol
jboy93
Any word on our injuries to Charlie and Nate?
nacluth
Not sure if this will be the case now, but at least once Keller said (could be several seasons ago) that he doesn't have the team shoot free throws. He said that they could practice those on their own time. I bet we get more serious about it.
LUMBERJACK2005
nacluth said:

They have done it by cleaning out the bottom dwellers, and they have one more game against a terrible team before the tough middle of the season.

I was going to say the same thing, as hesitant as I am about looking past anyone, but after UIW things are going to get tough.
No-look
ACU hits a harder schedule also in a few days. It gets tougher for all the front runners. I want to win all games but if we can win three out of the next four it wouldn't be bad.
RedRiverLa
You nailed it. I will add one last thing about muscle memory and what I have never understood. I realize this was decades ago, But FT shooting percentages were much better back then, it used to be taught to stay at the line and repeat the muscle memory. In today's game every player, regardless of make or miss, has to walk around and slap hands with every team member.. Thereby it's an entire new action every time. Like any shot, the less rhythm developed the less chance it goes in. It's absolutely 100% repetitive proper form muscle memory.
RedRiverLa
nacluth said:

Not sure if this will be the case now, but at least once Keller said (could be several seasons ago) that he doesn't have the team shoot free throws. He said that they could practice those on their own time. I bet we get more serious about it.

Wow! That's what wins (or loses) games. The last two games should be a wake up call to his coaching style In regards to this.
KirkHeath12
SFA 22.5 point favorite. Crazy big. Scares me a little
Class of 2012
Axe Em
RedRiverLa
KirkHeath12 said:

SFA 22.5 point favorite. Crazy big. Scares me a little

Yep. The biggest point margin we've been favored by in the Keller regime ended up being our only conference loss this year.
nacluth
Game day!!!! Time to get rowdy up in here!

Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
No-look
We need a solid win and not play down to the competition. Time to get ruthless!
RichieVan
Of the top 10 UIW players by minutes, 2 Juniors, 2 Sophomores and 6 Freshmen. Top 2 scorers are Freshmen. They shoot 28% from 3 and 40% overall. This team is tailor-made for our defense.
After the last two games, this team needs to show no mercy on inferior competition.
jboy93
Quote:

it's supposed to show Elmer Fudd hunting Cardinals...oh well!

nacluth
After a rainy morning, the sun's out. A good day to come out to the game.
RedRiverLa
Ladyjacks lead 35-26 at halftime
nacluth
Walked in behind Charlie Daniels. He seemed to be moving well. Hopefully that's a sign he's playing today.
TallTexan
Don't see Charlie out with the team. Bain on the sidelines. Kharee is here but not in Uni.

Playing this game with 9 scholarship players it looks like.
TallTexan
My wife said they better lineup at the free throw line for warm-ups and get some practice in.
Pilotgirl
TallTexan said:

My wife said they better lineup at the free throw line for warm-ups and get some practice in.

Exacu what we said. Don't see Charlie. Anyone know about Bain injury?
RedRiverLa
TallTexan said:

They seem to want to practice their dunks more than free throws. Smh.
nacluth
Seeing Ivan in workout clothes made me think he could pass for Bain if we got the right number on him.
nacluth
Matt on the big board.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Seeing Ivan in workout clothes made me think he could pass for Bain if we got the right number on him.

Works for me.
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

TallTexan said:

They miss that many free throws this game, we're signing you up for a halftime pep talk. Put the fear of mom in their life.
Pilotgirl
TallTexan said:

Pilotgirl said:

TallTexan said:

They miss that many free throws this game, we're signing you up for a halftime pep talk. Put the fear of mom in their life.

I'M READY
nacluth
Solomon starting.
nacluth
John breaking zones.
jboy93
Where's the crowd! Dang!
nacluth
Best crowd in a while. At least 4000
jboy93
You think there's that many? Guess my estimator is off! Ha
nacluth
3-4 free throws early.
nacluth
Yeah. We'll probably push 5000 reported attendance.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.