SFA / Southeastern Louisiana

18,810 Views | 117 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFAJack_76
Jacks4460
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFA_03 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Generation II said:

As of yesterday according to Hart's Instagram he was in Dallas looked like. Off the team I presume?

Suspended for a second time.

Unfortunate but not surprising if true given how Kyle is. Keller is huge on discipline and has made it a point since getting here that no one is safe.

It's true.

I swear on my grave someone close and involved with the team told me Hart wouldn't last and Keller wouldnt know how to handle him...I was told this before Hart signed...I thought the person was full of it and was told just wait and see.. and now I hear this is the 2nd suspension...just wow..
SFASawmillGuy
From what I've been told by people close to the team and a former grad assistant from Keller's year one, Kyle's got a list of rules and he is very adamant about them. Basically they include attendance, both academically and athletically, grades, off the court behavior, and frequent drug testing(doesn't matter what it is, Kyle is strict on this one). So he hands down suspensions more often than your average coach. Last year apparently we had a LOT of suspensions throughout the year, but look at this year. Nowhere near as many issues. I think he's getting through to these kids.
BigJack85
Jacks4460 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFA_03 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Generation II said:

As of yesterday according to Hart's Instagram he was in Dallas looked like. Off the team I presume?

Suspended for a second time.

Unfortunate but not surprising if true given how Kyle is. Keller is huge on discipline and has made it a point since getting here that no one is safe.

It's true.

I swear on my grave someone close and involved with the team told me Hart wouldn't last and Keller wouldnt know how to handle him...I was told this before Hart signed...I thought the person was full of it and was told just wait and see.. and now I hear this is the 2nd suspension...just wow..

Two suspensions, very telling. Maybe he'll get the message.
Jacks4460
Thanks for your input.. it makes sense.. but rules need to apply to everyone no matter what.. if not then the moral of the team goes down (as we saw last year) if not everyone is held accountable..We are winning so even if we only have 5 players playing I am good...
nacluth
Well I know nothing about any off the court stuff that may be happening, but I do know that watching Hart on the court, he's been playing with a lot of passion. He's also been pumped on the bench too. Doesn't look like the players who were struggling last year. Much better personality.

He has been looking like a freshman while playing, but there's nothing wrong with that. Solomon who looked really solid early is looking more like a freshman too. Part of growing in a system. Hart does have a pure shot, good movement, and is someone that I would love to see for a full four years. I hope he's back soon.
No-look
nacluth said:

Well I know nothing about any off the court stuff that may be happening, but I do know that watching Hart on the court, he's been playing with a lot of passion. He's also been pumped on the bench too. Doesn't look like the players who were struggling last year. Much better personality.

He has been looking like a freshman while playing, but there's nothing wrong with that. Solomon who looked really solid early is looking more like a freshman too. Part of growing in a system. Hart does have a pure shot, good movement, and is someone that I would love to see for a full four years. I hope he's back soon.
This.
Pilotgirl
SFA_03 said:

From what I've been told by people close to the team and a former grad assistant from Keller's year one, Kyle's got a list of rules and he is very adamant about them. Basically they include attendance, both academically and athletically, grades, off the court behavior, and frequent drug testing(doesn't matter what it is, Kyle is strict on this one). So he hands down suspensions more often than your average coach. Last year apparently we had a LOT of suspensions throughout the year, but look at this year. Nowhere near as many issues. I think he's getting through to these kids.

And these rules are bad bc...?? I agree with them. Makes for a disciplined team. And I'm glad he drug tests frequently, too.
jboy93
I just don't understand. Kids that come here are four year players and generally not going to play in the NBA so why wouldn't winning as a team be important? We beat Duke and are 12-2 so the big picture should be making a splash as a team in the big dance!
SFASawmillGuy
I didn't say they were bad. I said it's good that Keller isn't budging for the kids and that they seem to be adapting to his rules. He's making them better men and players.
Pilotgirl
Definitely!
LUMBERJACK2005
Look at every 3 or 4 star HS recruit we've signed. These kids have been the best player or second best player on every team they've ever played on, and, I'd say in most cases have never had sit or "earn" time. These kids who are coming to us are being told they are better than SFA, better than the Southland conference. It takes a special kid to ignore that and humble themselves enough to sit on the bench at a school everyone around them perceived as being beneath their level. As a coach, clearly you want to bring in the best players you can; but fit is way more important. I really hope that Hart sticks it out. I'm always Leary of kids who went to multiple high schools. Not trying to compare us to Villanova, but Jay Wright started recruiting based off "stars" after their first run in 2008. They had top classes the next few years and it resulted in subpar seasons, because they stopped recruiting Villanova guys. They got back to it and haven't looked back since 2013. Be nice to see us bring in guys excited to be at SFA, and not settling on SFA.
Jacks4460
Thanks for the great post 2005!! It gives a great perspective...
Rev007
It's interesting to read all the opinions about Hart's suspensions and Keller's rules, but how much do we really know about the situation? Personally, I know nothing about Hart other than he wasn't at the last game. Additionally, I don't know why McDaniels hasn't been on the bench lately. I like both players and certainly hope they contribute to the success of our team this year (Hart) and in the future (both). Let's remember that we are dealing with freshmen who have most likely lived away from home for the first time in their lives. They are inundated with school, practice, games, traveling, and rules. Not all freshmen are mature when they first set foot on campus. I know I wasn't. I hope all of our team members remain at SFA and that we exhibit a certain amount of patience as we watch them grow as basketball players and as men.
SFAJack_76
Rev007 said:

It's interesting to read all the opinions about Hart's suspensions and Keller's rules, but how much do we really know about the situation? Personally, I know nothing about Hart other than he wasn't at the last game. Additionally, I don't know why McDaniels hasn't been on the bench lately. I like both players and certainly hope they contribute to the success of our team this year (Hart) and in the future (both). Let's remember that we are dealing with freshmen who have most likely lived away from home for the first time in their lives. They are inundated with school, practice, games, traveling, and rules. Not all freshmen are mature when they first set foot on campus. I know I wasn't. I hope all of our team members remain at SFA and that we exhibit a certain amount of patience as we watch them grow as basketball players and as men.

I don't disagree with anything you said. Although it was decades ago, I vividly remember what an interesting time my first semester was.

However, I was recently visiting with the dad of a freshman softball player, and he is blown away by the amount of support and resources the scholarship players have. Academics, trainers, medical, etc. Being a full time student-athlete is tough. They do have support and resources that are not afforded to the regular student. If they choose to not avail themselves of the opportunity, and not follow the rules, shame on them.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.