SFA / McNeese

11,753 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFAJack_76
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (9-2, 1-0) vs. McNeese (5-6, 0-0)

WHEN: DEC 21 (SAT) 3:00 P.M.
WHERE: H&HP Complex (Lake Charles, LA)
WATCH: McNeese Sports

The Southland Conference schedule started out with a splash for SFA stats. The Jacks massacred the winless Houston Baptist Huskies with a complete team performance. A roll through a team that had been giving up 100 points a game was the ease-in to the 20 game SLC season that anyone would enjoy at the beginning of Christmas break. This Saturday's matinee however should be a slight step up in competition.

After committing the resources to build a beautiful new arena and recruit some top JUCO talent, no one is saying that the McNeese program has completely turned around, but they are definitely trending in a better direction. With 11 players on their roster from other colleges, they have an edge up in the experience bracket over most Southland squads. However, their 5-6 record does leave some concern for where exactly this team is. They have one D1 win this season against WAC bottom-dweller Kansas City. Every other team has put them away except Texas which just sneaked by at the end. It could be an unpredictable afternoon in Louisiana.

McNeese is statistically a great shooting team. They score on more than half of their attempts, and they are the second best 3-point shooting team in the country by percentage. Almost all of this is due to Dru Kuxhausen (6'0" Jr. G) who by some measures is the best outside shooter in the country this season. He hit a school record 10 treys in his last outing. A.J Lawson (6'5" Jr. G) is the offensive heart of the team in combination with Sha'Markus Kennedy (6'8" Sr. F) who is the first inside double threat that SFA may have seen this year. He is the team's leading scorer and recently put down 10 blocks in a triple-double outing against KC. The Cowboys turn it over a lot, aren't strong on defense, and don't play well against speed. But, they score, and they can score from multiple positions.

SFA should have a good afternoon running whatever offense that they want as well as using their harassing defense to stop McNeese. Keeping Kuxhausen in check from distance will be priority one, but controlling the boards is where this game will be won. It will be interesting to see if we get more looks at the Kensmil/Daniels combo. If we can keep our bigs on the court, this one should go to the good guys without too much excitement. If we let the Cowboys see a wide open bucket, then it could be a rough ride.

Axe 'em!
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
No-look
We will have to guard the three. They hit 19 their last outing.
Pilotgirl
Anybody been to their new arena?
BigJack85
That kind of 3-point shooting is a real crap shoot! If they are falling you look infallible. I think our pace will be to much for McNeese. It may take a while to warm up but we pull away late.
nacluth
Sorry, I just cleaned up my write-up a little. I had to write my first draft in about 10 minutes flat. Sentences make more sense now. Also, the link under watch should work on game day, but my guess is that it will cost $6 or so.
Pilotgirl
nacluth said:

Sorry, I just cleaned up my write-up a little. I had to write my first draft in about 10 minutes flat. Sentences make more sense now. Also, the link under watch should work on game day, but my guess is that it will cost $6 or so.

I'm thinking about driving to the game...about the same distance for me as Nac.
nacluth
Haven't been yet to their new complex, but the pictures look nice. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a couple hundred there during break, and that SFA fans can turn the tide for our players.
PurpleOut
Staff
I was planning on going this year until the schedule came out to have the game the weekend before Christmas.

I think this is a sneaky tough game. It's one we should win, but if we don't play well we could easily see ourselves in a close one. The Lawson/Kennedy duo as mentioned, is very good.
PurpleOut
Staff
One thing to note, that may not matter come game time tomorrow, but Kennedy was out sick last game.

Again that was two days ago so I expect he'll play tomorrow.
No-look
This game should tells us where we are.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Comeaux to guard Kuxhausen?
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Comeaux to guard Kuxhausen?
Probably. Then you have Baker coming off the bench shooting 45% on threes. Our best guard defenders are Comeaux and Ware. After them, perhaps Walker?

This game is a concern. With our trapping style of defense, we tend to leave guys open at the perimeter. If McNeese shoots close to their season average, this could be a tough one unless we make some adjustments. We need to push the tempo all we can, and rely on depth.
RichieVan
Kuxhausen is a problem. He has 59 made baskets this year, 52 from 3 (52 out of 100!). Cannot leave him alone. Keller needs to adjust his defense and shadow Kuxhausen and make other players make plays.
No-look
Calvin ok for this game?
RichieVan
Jacks are 4.5 point favorites
BigJack85
Up to 7 point favorites.
nacluth
Game day!!!

Live look into McNeese's game plan as enacted by Slim Pickens.

purpleballs
Assuming we have to join McNeese sports to watch game?
nacluth
Believe so. $6.95 one time fee.
Pilotgirl
Will make the 2nd half on time for an SFA comeback...had an errand thst was unavoidable.
nacluth
I almost pulled the trigger on going too, but it was 12:30 and a 3 hour drive. Glad you're supporting them.
TallTexan
purpleballs said:

Assuming we have to join McNeese sports to watch game?

When we go to a different conference, I want everyone to be on ESPN. This is nonsense.
nacluth
11-7 at first media. Good start. Their top guard has 2 fouls. Charlie Daniels playing tough. Need to limit their shots.
nacluth
Tougher four minutes. SFA 18-16. McNeese is playing tough, but they are having to use their starters fouling to hang. Kuxhausen got his first three. Limiting his chances.
nacluth
Nathan Bain for his second three!!!
nacluth
Bain at double digits.
nacluth
U8 first half. SFA up 31-24. On pace to hit 100. Getting good rotation depth. Kevon a little quiet.
nacluth
38-32 final first half media. Jacks not slowing down McNeese's shot down.
No-look
Solomon playing?
CertifiedAxeman98
nacluth said:

Believe so. $6.95 one time fee.

One time fee cost about the same as one month of Disney plus and McNeese doesn't even have baby Yoda.
Rev007
Worst game feed I've ever seen (sometimes can't see it).
Pilotgirl
Ugh construction on I 10 made us SUPER late, so listening on the radio , turned around and will go oit to eat/have some drinks to celebrate Texans winning the division and , hopefully, an SFA win!
nacluth
47-39 at half. Nice finish.
Rev007
Does anyone know why John left the game near the 16 minute mark and did not return?
nacluth
Two quick fouls. Kalcheries picked up the slack dealing out 5 assists.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.