SFA / Houston Baptist

16,394 Views | 118 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TallTexan
PurpleForever
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PurpleOut said:

Good game last night. -13 was free money.

I think we'll continue to see teams throw some zone against us. The thing is no team in this league actually plays zone, nor really has the size or athleticism to have a really good zone defense. HBU looked terrible trying to run it last night. If it's not practiced a lot it's not going to be very effective.

I liked seeing Charlie and Gavin on the court together. That's a very difficult duo to deal with in this league, especially on the boards.
When I saw the -13 line go up I couldn't stop myself from nailing it.

I agree with everything you said about playing zone. Yes a good zone team will give us fits, but our league doesn't have that and one week of prep isn't enough to prepare a solid zone defense. Also like you said, there's no chance anybody can bang with those two big bodies down low. Good luck keeping them off the boards together.
jboy93
Wanted to point out that McDaniel looked very engaged on the bench last night. Wish we could get some official word on his status.
cboothe09
I noticed our zone offense was different from what we saw against ULM. A lot more ball movement and getting it to Gavin or Nathan at the free throw line to collapse the defense. If they didn't collapse, Gavin just took it to the rim.

While ULM wasn't pretty, maybe we were holding off on showing all of our cards to the rest of the conference.
wahlwesle
cboothe09 said:

I noticed our zone offense was different from what we saw against ULM. A lot more ball movement and getting it to Gavin or Nathan at the free throw line to collapse the defense. If they didn't collapse, Gavin just took it to the rim.

While ULM wasn't pretty, maybe we were holding off on showing all of our cards to the rest of the conference.
I tend to think it was because ULM plays the zone much better than HBU. As others have mentioned previously, HBU tried to run it because they know we have struggled against it with other teams, but that only applies if they know how to actually execute the zone defense well.
SFAJack_76
wahlwesle said:

cboothe09 said:

I tend to think it was because ULM plays the zone much better than HBU. As others have mentioned previously, HBU tried to run it because they know we have struggled against it with other teams, but that only applies if they know how to actually execute the zone defense well.
Agree. ULM plays zone, and they looked like they knew what they were doing. HBU was frequently lost. Plus, we are dramatically better athletically than HBU. They simply could not keep up.
cboothe09
Completely agree that ULM runs a zone MUCH better than HBU. That said, we ran a different offense that looked much better against the zone. Against ULM our offense looked very vanilla. It looked like there was a lot more going on offensively against HBU. Ball movement and player movement was a lot better.
SFA Jack Fanatic
jboy93 said:

Wanted to point out that McDaniel looked very engaged on the bench last night. Wish we could get some official word on his status.
A member of the coaching staff said earlier that he was being redshirted.
No-look
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

jboy93 said:

Kharee should be a valuable asset for the Jacks the next few years. Hard working kid with a good attitude.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

jboy93 said:

How does someone that has played get to redshirt?
Pilotgirl
SFAJack_76 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

jboy93 said:

How does someone that has played get to redshirt?

Maybe bc he only played a bit and non-conf games?
BigJack85
I thought they could play up go 4 games and still red shirt??? Not sure just putting it out there.
nacluth
He can only be redshirted with an injury. It's an application process. If they have decided to try, it may take a while for judgment. I'm sure we'll hear something official at some point.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

He can only be redshirted with an injury. It's an application process. If they have decided to try, it may take a while for judgment. I'm sure we'll hear something official at some point.

That's what I'm thinking, too. He has played a total of 7 minutes in 3 games. Apparently, the coaches believe they can make the case to apply for a redshirt.
PurpleOut
Staff
BigJack85 said:

I thought they could play up go 4 games and still red shirt??? Not sure just putting it out there.
The 4-game redshirt rule only applies to football. But I think they should do the same with basketball. Maybe 7 games.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

BigJack85 said:

The 4-game redshirt rule only applies to football. But I think they should do the same with basketball. Maybe 7 games.

I still dont get why they did that for football and not basketball & other sports.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.