SFA / Houston Baptist

16,258 Views | 118 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TallTexan
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (8-2) vs. Houston Baptist (0-8)

WHEN: DEC 18 (WED) 6:30 P.M.
WHERE: William R. Johnson Coliseum (Nacogdoches, TX)
WATCH: ESPN3

If you take a glance at the Southland Conference standings today, you'll notice SFA at the top of the board. Eight wins and two losses through their first ten games is better than any other #SouthlandStrong team. Let's face it, it's been another disappointing non-conference slate for the SLC. Nicholls put a scare into Illinois before topping Pitt, McNeese played tough with Texas, and there were a couple other second half dreams, but all in all teams saw W's when getting to face off against our league. Then, of course, there was that Duke game...

That has the opportunity to change this week. Every team in the Southland now gets to try to put their name at the top of the board in conference play. Winless Houston Baptist faces off against Duke slayer SFA, and both of their by-lines say 0-0 in the SLC standings. Some committee in their infinite wisdom thought about how to make a weak conference weaker, and what they came up with was an expanded 20 game slate of conference play. (I could belabor the point on why this is not only terrible but very stupid, but I'll leave it for now). But, a team like HBU now has reason to believe that all the abuse they have taken playing the 6th toughest schedule so far this year will translate into enough wins to make the SLC tournament. Yay.

Houston Baptist is not terrible. Oh if you look at the stats, they are terrible. Or dreadful. Or gutter slime...or something else that means the worst. 101.1 points a game allowed - that's good enough for dead last of all 353 D1 teams. Yikes! 53.9% of opponent shots are going through the basket - another worst. Yet, on KenPom it says that there are 43 teams worse than this winless team, and I believe them. While every game has been a loss, they have played decently against good teams. Dayton, Tech, Michigan all beat them soundly, but not before HBU got some licks in. This team's big fat zero is about to roll over to a one soon, and they know it. They are hungry for it.

The Huskies are (I know its hard to believe) the FASTEST team in all D1. No need for defense - especially interior defense - offense is the name of the game right now. They shoot, and shoot fast. Jalon Gates (Sr. 6'0" G) and Ian Dubose (Jr. 6'4" G) are no strangers to the Jacks, and both of them will probably end up on all-SLC teams. They can run and run and run. As much as UL-Monroe tried to slow down the game Saturday, HBU is going to try to use their good shooting and quickness to build an early lead and never look back. Honestly, the Jacks are susceptible to that kind of play. We'll see who dictates tempo in Nacogdoches.

Wednesday night after the students leave, the campus is sleepy. Facing an 0-8 team when you've taken down the best team in the nation is almost yawn inducing. Remembering that coming into conference two years ago when you were giant killers and lost that first conference game and could never get back in the standings - terrifying! The Jacks better wake up. Paper may say that this is a good team, but history says that in the last three years of Keller's tenure, the Lumberjacks have lost multiple games at the beginning of conference and have never been able to catch up. Should we win by 25? Yes. Will we? Records say we will have to do work to change the past.

We control the bucket. On both ends. That's it, and we win. We are bigger and stronger and play a tougher defense. Fast paced at home should open up a lot of fast breaks and dunks. But, control will win this game. Control to not let an early deficit break us up mentally. Control to keep the ball in front of us to force more turnovers (still #1 in nation). Control to trust our passes and rely on our depth to tear the Huskies apart limb by limb. Everyone knows this is the time that work has to start. 20 games of work. Every one of them has to be a mission. It starts Wednesday.

Axe 'em!
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
RedRiverLa
nacluth said:

SFA (8-2) vs. Houston Baptist (0-8)

WHEN: DEC 18 (WED) 6:30 P.M.
WHERE: William R. Johnson Coliseum (Nacogdoches, TX)
WATCH: ESPN3

If you take a glance at the Southland Conference standings today, you'll notice SFA at the top of the board. Eight wins and two losses through their first ten games is better than any other #SouthlandStrong team. Let's face it, it's been another disappointing non-conference slate for the SLC. Nicholls put a scare into Illinois before topping Pitt, McNeese played tough with Texas, and there were a couple other second half dreams, but all in all teams saw W's when getting to face off against our league. Then, of course, there was that Duke game...

That has the opportunity to change this week. Every team in the Southland now gets to try to put their name at the top of the board in conference play. Winless Houston Baptist faces off against Duke slayer SFA, and both of their by-lines say 0-0 in the SLC standings. Some committee in their infinite wisdom thought about how to make a weak conference weaker, and what they came up with was an expanded 20 game slate of conference play. (I could belabor the point on why this is not only terrible but very stupid, but I'll leave it for now). But, a team like HBU now has reason to believe that all the abuse they have taken playing the 6th toughest schedule so far this year will translate into enough wins to make the SLC tournament. Yay.

Houston Baptist is not terrible. Oh if you look at the stats, they are terrible. Or dreadful. Or gutter slime...or something else that means the worst. 101.1 points a game allowed - that's good enough for dead last of all 353 D1 teams. Yikes! 53.9% of opponent shots are going through the basket - another worst. Yet, on KenPom it says that there are 43 teams worse than this winless team, and I believe them. While every game has been a loss, they have played decently against good teams. Dayton, Tech, Michigan all beat them soundly, but not before HBU got some licks in. This team's big fat zero is about to roll over to a one soon, and they know it. They are hungry for it.

The Huskies are (I know its hard to believe) the FASTEST team in all D1. No need for defense - especially interior defense - offense is the name of the game right now. They shoot, and shoot fast. Jalon Gates (Sr. 6'0" G) and Ian Dubose (Jr. 6'4" G) are no strangers to the Jacks, and both of them will probably end up on all-SLC teams. They can run and run and run. As much as UL-Monroe tried to slow down the game Saturday, HBU is going to try to use their good shooting and quickness to build an early lead and never look back. Honestly, the Jacks are susceptible to that kind of play. We'll see who dictates tempo in Nacogdoches.

Wednesday night after the students leave, the campus is sleepy. Facing an 0-8 team when you've taken down the best team in the nation is almost yawn inducing. Remembering that coming into conference two years ago when you were giant killers and lost that first conference game and could never get back in the standings - terrifying! The Jacks better wake up. Paper may say that this is a good team, but history says that in the last three years of Keller's tenure, the Lumberjacks have lost multiple games at the beginning of conference and have never been able to catch up. Should we win by 25? Yes. Will we? Records say we will have to do work to change the past.

We control the bucket. On both ends. That's it, and we win. We are bigger and stronger and play a tougher defense. Fast paced at home should open up a lot of fast breaks and dunks. But, control will win this game. Control to not let an early deficit break us up mentally. Control to keep the ball in front of us to force more turnovers (still #1 in nation). Control to trust our passes and rely on our depth to tear the Huskies apart limb by limb. Everyone knows this is the time that work has to start. 20 games of work. Every one of them has to be a mission. It starts Wednesday.

Axe 'em!
Nailed it! Well done. Oh how I remember we lost to SLU arter taking down LSU. I guess the jumbled letters confused us. We better take down HBU with no mercy. Let's play with the goal of keeping Keller's jacket on no matter how the refs are.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
SFA Jack Fanatic
Nice job, Ryan. But I have to disagree with one thing you said. I think a fast-paced game will help the Jacks. The reason is that we not only run, we take the ball away from the other team's guards who are also trying to run. TO's and steals are what will get the Jacks a 'W'.

I don't think it will be a cakewalk, as some are probably thinking, not by any means. HBU is probably the best 0-8 team in the country.
wahlwesle
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

HBU is probably the best 0-8 team in the country.
They are the only 0-8 team in the country. There are only three other teams without a win, Central Connecticut St. (0-10), Mississippi Valley (0-9), and Florida A&M (0-7). This better be a blowout.
cboothe09
They gave up 113 to a 6-6 Samford team...Their average score is 101-76...

No reason this game should be close at all. I'll give HBU credit for an outstanding non-conference schedule, but we should handle our business here. Good teams beat up on HBU like good teams should. We are a good team. I expect us to beat them like a good team should.
nacluth
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Nice job, Ryan. But I have to disagree with one thing you said. I think a fast-paced game will help the Jacks.
It's all right to disagree. I think we're a good fast paced offense, but I think the teams that succeed against us get up the court before we set defense. Alabama and Rutgers both did this to us. Our half court defense is exceptional and I think John is excellent at transition, but I think we're susceptible to fast paced transition. I'm not really afraid about this game, but if it's 20-6 HBU out of the gates, I won't be surprised. But, I think we could spot HBU 20 in the first half and still win easily.
BigJack85
Well written. The Nacogdoches Visitors and Convention Bureau got A+ journalism for well.... pennies.

I think we roll them and roll them early. We are HBU's Duke but HBU isn't good and they are worse away from the HS gym they have.
SFAJack_76
Promotions for the game.

http://x.paciolanmail.com/ats/msg.aspx?sg1=c793a5832aeefdf48b1ed70b863c6ad5
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Promotions for the game.

http://x.paciolanmail.com/ats/msg.aspx?sg1=c793a5832aeefdf48b1ed70b863c6ad5

That sounds great! Could one of you who's going to be there video that animal act and maybe post on YouTube? I doubt that ESPN3 will show it.
SFA Jack Fanatic
I'm already seeing a lot of overconfidence on here. That worries me.
RedRiverLa
wahlwesle said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

HBU is probably the best 0-8 team in the country.
They are the only 0-8 team in the country. There are only three other teams without a win, Central Connecticut St. (0-10), Mississippi Valley (0-9), and Florida A&M (0-7). This better be a blowout.

Since we beat a #1, I would counter with we are one of the best 8-2 teams in the country, so that generally results in them becoming the best 0-9 team in the country.
Lumberjack Battalion
No-look
We just need to take care of business. We are used to early deficits. They will get about three threes and be up 9-2 and then we start putting it together. We need a strong two halves and don't play down to any weaker conference teams.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Evansville, which beat formerly #1 Kentucky at Rupp, is getting its balls handed to them tonight by 2-7 Jacksonville State.

Still think the HBU game will be a cakewalk, guys?
cboothe09
Yes
No-look
Walk softly and carry a big stick or better, an "axe".
nacluth
If you haven't been up to WRJ lately, they've added a new Instagram stop.

RichieVan
SFA -14.5. Sam Houston is favored by 19 over NW State.
SFAJack_76
KirkHeath12
SFA -13 vs HBU
Class of 2012
Axe Em
nacluth
Game day!!!!

I put all my money in with Kevon. I know he'll deliver on my investment.

SFA Jack Fanatic
This game worries the heck out of me. I think it's going to be much closer than you guys think. Hope I'm dead wrong.
CertifiedAxeman98
nacluth said:

When they were bringing in the letters on Saturday my son said they forgot the X. I said they are probably still bringing it in. Then at half time my son says I want to be the X before we leave and that is when I realized the X was left out on purpose.
CertifiedAxeman98
SFAJack_76 said:

Kenpom has it SFA 91 - HBU 78

CertifiedAxeman98
Can't let HBU shoot uncontested 3's must have solid lock down perimeter D. 3's may make this game closer than it should be.

Currently we are ranked 323 in 3pt Defense in Kenpom so that must improve or we will get hurt by teams that shoot the 3 well.
Pilotgirl
Gotta shut down DuBose!!
wahlwesle
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

This game worries the heck out of me. I think it's going to be much closer than you guys think. Hope I'm dead wrong.
If this game worries you, you'll be worried all season. Sure, in sports anything can happen (think Duke), but the odds are very much in our favor.

If it turns out you aren't dead wrong, I'll start worrying for the rest of the season with you.
SFAJack_76
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

nacluth said:

When they were bringing in the letters on Saturday my son said they forgot the X. I said they are probably still bringing it in. Then at half time my son says I want to be the X before we leave and that is when I realized the X was left out on purpose.
When we walked by them, my wife commented about the X being left out. You are in good company.
SFA Jack Fanatic
wahlwesle said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

If this game worries you, you'll be worried all season. Sure, in sports anything can happen (think Duke), but the odds are very much in our favor.

If it turns out you aren't dead wrong, I'll start worrying for the rest of the season with you.

I probably will be worried all season long. I can't shake the Ghost of Season Past.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I probably will be worried all season long. I can't shake the Ghost of Season Past.
I'm gonna send Nacluth to your house on Christmas eve to walk you through the entire journey so you can see the ghosts of seasons present & future.
nacluth
TallTexan said:

I'm gonna send Nacluth to your house on Christmas eve to walk you through the entire journey so you can see the ghosts of seasons present & future.
TinyTexan is on crutches Ed. Surely you have it in your heart to give him a Duke basketball for Christmas.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

TallTexan said:

TinyTexan is on crutches Ed. Surely you have it in your heart to give him a Duke basketball for Christmas.

Bah humbug! At $350 I can't even afford the air in that sucker. A lump of coal in your stocking for even suggesting it!
SFA Jack Fanatic
HBU in a zone. What a surprise.
RedRiverLa
Zone. Kevin's 3 will start to bust it.
Lumberjack Battalion
nacluth
Lots of fast breaks coming this game.
nacluth
Starting out with a 100 point game pace.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.