SFA / Louisiana - Monroe

38,181 Views | 124 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by nacluth
SFASawmillGuy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'd say as far as non conference goes, we had about half of our performances as being lights out amazing, and half being flat out awful. I think this team has potential to be one of the best SFA teams, but our consistency is non existent.
TallTexan
RedRiverLa said:

TallTexan said:

I turned on the game and we went on a 13-3 run to finish the game.

Are you the new Nacluth?

I was filling in this weekend since he had no reason to leave the game and wanted to see what it felt like to be a normal fan.
Pilotgirl
I thought attendance was pretty good for graduation today. Once Nate made the dunk, that lit a fire for the team.

Also, our player of the game was Roti. Played some good D and made some clutch 3s. Of course they gave Ke POG to bc he had a couple more points. Crowd got loud once Nate made his dunk and didn't stop til we won.

Headed back to Sugar Land. Will catch the Ladies at HBU on Wednesday #AxeEm
nacluth
I thought the crowd was decent for no students and the SFA gala tonight.

Tough game to watch and compete in. I'm proud that we kept hustling hard the whole game and not getting frustrated. Well maybe Kensmil did a little, but we stayed pretty solid even when shots weren't falling. Thankfully averages came around to what averages should be. Crowd helped at the end. Another reason we're undefeated at home this season.

Nine players scored despite the troubles. Depth showed tonight. Let's see how things get kicked off in the SLC on Wednesday.
No-look
ULM is a very decent team. I thought they played the zone very well. They were prepared. Good shooting team. They controlled the tempo for most of the game...We were o-for for a long time from the three line. We just have to figure out how to attack the zone better. Of course, hit some threes would help. ULM had a good shooting night and we had a bad one. It happens. But good teams find a way to win in the crunch. And we did. Count the W and on to the next game.
BigJack85
Why didn't Kalcheries play?
Pilotgirl
BigJack85 said:

Why didn't Kalcheries play?

Fever/sick
SFA Jack Fanatic
According to the SFA Athletics page, the Jacks won 666-59.

As a couple of folks have said, attendance was not too bad, considering not many students were in town. 2,143.
RedRiverLa
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

According to the SFA Athletics page, the Jacks won 666-59.

As a couple of folks have said, attendance was not too bad, considering not many students were in town. 2,143.

That should put everyone else on notice.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
CertifiedAxeman98
Tough fought win. Zone D is our kryptonite. We tried to shoot over it and we tried a 1-3-1 with limited success but I didn't see them try to overload the zone on one side. The rest of the conference will probably be in a zone on us if they can run it. We like to score in the paint and the zone limited that. Not having Kachelries hurt us as well. Could have used an extra outside shooter that can handle the ball really well. The zone really slowed things down and we like to play fast. They also had good ball handlers and did not turn the ball over much. They also shot over 50% from 3. Despite all of this we pulled out a tough fought win.
SFAJack_76
Agree with the comments about Roti. He has stepped up hIs defense. Approaching Comeaux intensity. He also is starting to get some outside shots to fall. Difficult to drive to the basket the way ULM packed in the zone.

Our depth, even with three scholarship players out, was the difference. ULM had two starters go all 40 minutes. Another went 33 before fouling out. I know it is not popular with some to give Keller any credit, but I thought his use of the depth was really good. Good breaks for guys when they needed it, and had fresher key legs for the last five minutes of the game.

Also of note, this was finals week at SFA. ULM was a week earlier. These are full time students, and that does make a difference.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

I know it is not popular with some to give Keller any credit, but I thought his use of the depth was really good. Good breaks for guys when they needed it, and had fresher key legs for the last five minutes of the game.

The same people who don't like Keller have never liked Keller and will never like Keller. I ignore their constant complaining. Your comment about how he is using our depth is spot on. Keller has us at 8-2 in a year in which NONE of us thought 8-2 was possible at this point. Nuff said about that.

BTW, props to Cam Johnson. He hit a few shots at a time when we really needed them to keep the momentum shifting to us in the second half. The guy's a great offensive contributor to this team.
SFASawmillGuy
Rutgers just beat a top 25 team if anyone's curious.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFAJack_76 said:

I know it is not popular with some to give Keller any credit, but I thought his use of the depth was really good. Good breaks for guys when they needed it, and had fresher key legs for the last five minutes of the game.

The same people who don't like Keller have never liked Keller and will never like Keller. I ignore their constant complaining. Your comment about how he is using our depth is spot on. Keller has us at 8-2 in a year in which NONE of us thought 8-2 was possible at this point. Nuff said about that.

BTW, props to Cam Johnson. He hit a few shots at a time when we really needed them to keep the momentum shifting to us in the second half. The guy's a great offensive contributor to this team.
Agree with your comments on Cam. He had a quietly solid game. Indeed, he hit a couple of shots when everybody else was clanging the rims. That is why I like him being the sixth man. Instant offense.
Pilotgirl
Yup...a spark off the bench that we need.
RichieVan
A win ugly is still a win. The team never quit and played well and the shots started falling. Sometimes you have to give credit to the other team and, certainly, UL-Monroe played at the top of their game.
That said, Keller needs to prepare this team against zone defenses. Simple high ball screens are not going to work. They need to do a better job of ball rotation to create seams in the defense for better ball reversal. We are a slashing team that likes to attack the rim, but we also need to be able to attack creases that we create and hit the mid range jumper. I also saw no zone overloads to create favorable ball reversals, either.
This is a lesson for our team and I think it helps us in the long run.
LUMBERJACK2005
I tend to think that Keller probablyh felt like we could beat ULM without showing a whole lot of his zone offense or quick hitters (at least I hope), which is why our zone offense looked so vanilla.
SFASawmillGuy
That's a nice thought but I still think it was a bad game by us. We've now had 3 bad games and were fortunate to survive the last one. This team is slightly inconsistent with their performances, which is why I think even though we should go undefeated we more than likely will lose 1-3 games in conference play.
nacluth
I watched 3 ULM games to scout them. In every one they played almost an even amount of zone and man-to-man. With us they played every possession as zone. Kaspar used to do this as well. When you're the lesser team, you can limit the offense of the other team by playing a very tight zone. You shrink the game by taking away opportunities. It makes every team look bad.

You can't use ULM's supposed stats. This game really wasn't ever in doubt. It all depended on the final possessions. It's why the game went from down five with 8 minutes left to 12 up with two left. If your hard zone holds, you can win by a possession or two at the end, but if the other team has a possession lead at the end, the zone team cannot make up the difference.

Keller knew this and played for those last minutes. Sure if we would have hit more threes in the beginning our chances of breaking the zone earlier could have improved, but ultimately they held the zone even after we started hitting them. I don't think the game would have changed much regardless of what we did.

My personal opinion is that we played very consistent throughout the game besides our early three misses. I thought we showed composure by sticking with it. We faced a disciplined team and came away with a 7 point win that would have been a double digit win save for a final three that we didn't defend.

I actually don't think we'll see much zone, and if we do, it benefits us in the long run. I think we'll see it in spurts to throw of our rhythm, but I'm not too worried about it.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

This game really wasn't ever in doubt.

I wish you had walked over and told me this sooner. It would have saved me a lot of anguish in that last few minutes.
nacluth
You wouldn't want me to do that. The last time we sat together we almost lost to SWAG - though that one wasn't in doubt either.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.