Jacks in Spain

41,604 Views | 139 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Good to hear Calvin Solomon came in strong. Looking forward to seeing our freshman this year.
SFA Jack Fanatic
And it's great to hear him praise Calvin Soloman. Sounds like that young man is going to be an immediate contributor.

(You beat me to the punch, Ryan.)
PurpleOut
Staff
I think Solomon and Hart will definitely contribute. And I actually think Solomon can come in and contribute much quicker. He comes from a much better program and style of play. Hart's talent however is through the roof.
SFA Jack Fanatic
RedRiverLa said:

So have I missed a schedule on who they are playing and when? SFA BB still won't respond other than making me feel like I'm watching the travel channel. We beat a basketball academy but who else are we playing? And I'm glad to see that for the last 10 months Keller is still focused in what matters as we climb back in the race

They gave the games information in a MBB story on the athletics website on July 23, but according to that information today's game was supposed to have started at 11:00 a.m. (our time). Obviously, it did not. And that story said they were playing the Madrid All-Stars. This basketball academy may be those All-Stars.
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

I think Solomon and Hart will definitely contribute. And I actually think Solomon can come in and contribute much quicker. He comes from a much better program and style of play. Hart's talent however is through the roof.

A perfect analysis, Purple. I agree completely.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

RedRiverLa said:

So have I missed a schedule on who they are playing and when? SFA BB still won't respond other than making me feel like I'm watching the travel channel. We beat a basketball academy but who else are we playing? And I'm glad to see that for the last 10 months Keller is still focused in what matters as we climb back in the race

They gave the games information in a MBB story on the athletics website on July 23, but according to that information today's game was supposed to have started at 11:00 a.m. (our time). Obviously, it did not. And that story said they were playing the Madrid All-Stars. This basketball academy may be those All-Stars.
"When it comes to the games, the 'Jacks' first one will take place at 6:00 p.m. local time (11:00 a.m. CT) in Madrid against the Madrid All-Stars. On August 12, SFA faces CASVI at 6:00 p.m. local time (11:00 a.m. CT) before playing its final two games in Barcelona. At 7:00 p.m. local time (Noon CT) on August 14 the 'Jacks take on the Barcelona All-Stars before wrapping up their four-game slate on August 15 at 7:00 p.m. local time (Noon CT) against Catalunya Select."
Pilotgirl
It looks like everyone is having a great time, bonding, learning & getting to practice with these games. Methinks this is just what this team needed!
SFAJack_76
"See you guys tomorrow." I suppose we will see. Apparently the schedule is fluid.
No-look
They could give a box score. Lol
SFAJack_76
Are any schools playing in Europe this summer posting box scores? I haven't looked for them, but I haven't seen any. A few comments about a leading scorer or such, but not a full box score. Although some come out, scores for scrimmages in the US aren't shared.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Are any schools playing in Europe this summer posting box scores? I haven't looked for them, but I haven't seen any. A few comments about a leading scorer or such, but not a full box score. Although some come out, scores for scrimmages in the US aren't shared.

The University of Houston has a full story and box score for their first game in Italy. It's on their athletics website. http://uhcougars.com
No-look
I'm wondering if the scoring was balanced? Scored 89 and missed a bunch of layups and free throws. Somebody scored some points. Lol
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
RedRiverLa
Thanks!
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Did I hear that correctly, that Calvin has gained 18 pounds? In two months? I hope it's from the weight room and not just from the dining hall.
No-look
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Did I hear that correctly, that Calvin has gained 18 pounds? In two months? I hope it's from the weight room and not just from the dining hall.
gained it in his chest not belly. If it was from the dining hall I need to eat there.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76

Same opponent as yesterday?
SFAJack_76

SFAJack_76
No-look
Keep it coming!
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
Hart and Ware with the shoutouts today.
SFAJack_76
Left hand slam.
SFA Jack Fanatic
These games in Spain are just what the Jacks needed. They will give us a huge jump start to the season. Heck, even Duke may be surprised at just how good we could be this year.

And BTW, judging by the looks of Gavin Kensmil's very smooth, athletic drive to the basket, that guy appears to be something special around the basket. I have a feeling that he's going to put up some big numbers this year.

AxeEm!
sfajack05
I like the opportunity the team is getting by going over there and I think it will pay off when the season starts both on the court and off.
nacluth
I love summer basketball!
PurpleOut
Staff
Not that it matters much as we know they're just playing around with lineup combinations, but a few that I could see:

Comeaux, Oddyst, McDaniel, Kensmil, Daniels
Roti, Kevon, Brown, Kensmil, x
Oddyst, Kevon, Katchelries, Solomon, Daniels
Comeaux, Katchelries, Solomon, Kensmil
Comeaux, Oddyst, Kevon, Hart, Kensmil
SfaFan15
I tried to find out for myself but didn't see much, does anyone know what level of competition the teams we are playing equates too? I'm guessing it's kind of like to playing D2 or D3 schools but I honestly have no idea... Either way it's invaluable experience.
PurpleOut
Staff
SfaFan15 said:

I tried to find out for myself but didn't see much, does anyone know what level of competition the teams we are playing equates too? I'm guessing it's kind of like to playing D2 or D3 schools but I honestly have no idea... Either way it's invaluable experience.
Yeah it hasn't been easy to find out. This team we've played against the first two games, appears to be an academy that has two levels of play. One for prep of younger kids that will go on to play in college or pro ball, but also one that is a pro team that plays in the Spanish Basketball Federation.

Normally these trips you're playing small, local pro teams or all-star teams.
wahlwesle
Is this the same Madrid All Stars that Rutgers and WVU played last week? Both of those games were blowouts.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SfaFan15 said:

Yeah, I'm guessing D2 or D3 level, too. But it gives our guys a chance to play against some different faces, and it gives our three freshmen a glimmer of what's ahead at the next level of college ball.
No-look
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SfaFan15 said:

Yeah, I'm guessing D2 or D3 level, too. But it gives our guys a chance to play against some different faces, and it gives our three freshmen a glimmer of what's ahead at the next level of college ball.
True. Get a little early chemistry going. Gives coaches a vague idea what could be. Keller said he mostly rested the veterans last game.... Even with new faces and handful of practices we are winning these games that we are supposed to. The competition will get stronger but we will also.
sfa17
The more games we can play before the season starts, the better we will hopefully get. We always starts slow hopefully this trip helps.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.