Ladyjacks / TAMU-CC (SLC Tourney Semis)

20,784 Views | 106 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SFAJack_76
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No-look said:

Gonna ask a dumb question here. Maybe I missed something or saw it wrong...when CC scored that last bucket there was less than two seconds left. Why did SFA get the ball out of bounds on the side instead from under the goal?
Believe that in the women's game you can advance the ball with a timeout.
SFAJack_76
Anyone know why Harvey didn't play?

Huge disappointment, but some of the comments about this team and the coaches are absolutely ridiculous.

There will be post season. Maybe a home game.
RedRiverLa
Ok. Time for a stress break. As a Saints and SFA fan, I will no longer be acknowledging any Jan-Mar 2019 sporting events. Too many good players put on the SFA Jersey for the last time to have this outcome. I'm throwing a penalty flag on all of it. (Suck it Goodell) Come on Softball and Baseball, you're all I got left.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
MasterAxe
SFAJack_76 said:

Huge disappointment, but some of the comments about this team and the coaches are absolutely ridiculous.

Care to mention with ones are "ridiculous?"

Seems like everyone has made some fairly valid points.
RedRiverLa
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I hate conference tournaments.

I only hate the ones we don't win.
Lumberjack Battalion
TallTexan
RedRiverLa said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I hate conference tournaments.

I only hate the ones we don't win.
To be fair, in this case we'd have missed the NCAA anyways without a conference tourney.
TallTexan
Good Silver Lining: We've got 3 young stars who are going to make this team into a Juggernaut and push us past the tourney course.

Best Silver lining: I don't have to listen to Van Chancellor's ear-killing accent for atleast 8 more months.

SFA Jack Fanatic
The Southland rarely sends their best team to the NCAA's -- in ANY sport. Conference tournaments make no sense for mid-major conferences. They make money from TV revenue and by putting lots of fannies in the seats for the power conferences, but not for the others.

I'm so tired of these punches to the solar plexus. I haven't agreed with my friend MasterAxe much this season, but I agree with him that I'm glad this 'Basketball Season From Hell' is almost over.
RedRiverLa
TallTexan said:

Good Silver Lining: We've got 3 young stars who are going to make this team into a Juggernaut and push us past the tourney course.

Best Silver lining: I don't have to listen to Van Chancellor's ear-killing accent for atleast 8 more months.

He is the worst announcer to ever get behind a mic. Even the 'boom goes the dynamite' kid had one good phrase.
Lumberjack Battalion
TallTexan
Not only is his accent terribly grating, but he combines it with the dumbest basketball takes you've ever heard.

It's like he barely watches the games he's announcing. And remember when John Comeaux was out for the season after going down in the UIW game?
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

If there is a home game, I'm going to be there. I'm 250 miles away, but I'll be there! I don't care what day or time. These ladies deserve it.

And BTW, don't forget that they've got THREE McDonald's All American honorable mentions coming in next year.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

The Southland rarely sends their best team to the NCAA's -- in ANY sport. Conference tournaments make no sense for mid-major conferences. They make money from TV revenue and by putting lots of fannies in the seats for the power conferences, but not for the others.
That much is true. But if we're going to ditch the conference tourney, we need to ditch 3 teams so that we play home & homes with everyone in basketball.

Adios UIW, HBU, & UNO.
Pilotgirl
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFAJack_76 said:

If there is a home game, I'm going to be there. I'm 250 miles away, but I'll be there! I don't care what day or time. These ladies deserve it.

And BTW, don't forget that they've got THREE McDonald's All American honorable mentions coming in next year.

YES SIR
Pilotgirl
Headed to Whiskey Cake...great food & even better alcohol. I think we deserve it.
RedRiverLa
TallTexan said:

Not only is his accent terribly grating, but he combines it with the dumbest basketball takes you've ever heard.

It's like he barely watches the games he's announcing. And remember when John Comeaux was out for the season after going down in the UIW game?

100% true. I refuse to listen to him anymore.
Lumberjack Battalion
TallTexan
Losses are tough on seniors, especially all-timers.

TallTexan
Also, IMO, great, supportive response from Kevon.

RedRiverLa
Such a shame, with Lamar out, this was ours.
Lumberjack Battalion
Pilotgirl
Keyvon was there supporting the Ladies!

SFA Jack Fanatic
RedRiverLa said:

Dare I say it... The SLC curse.
nacluth
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

RedRiverLa said:

Dare I say it... The SLC curse.
Don't put that on us.
PurpleOut
Staff
No-look said:

Gonna ask a dumb question here. Maybe I missed something or saw it wrong...when CC scored that last bucket there was less than two seconds left. Why did SFA get the ball out of bounds on the side instead from under the goal?
Women's rules are different.
TheRevSFA
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I'm so tired of these punches to the solar plexus. I haven't agreed with my friend MasterAxe much this season, but I agree with him that I'm glad this 'Basketball Season From Hell' is almost over.

Well if there wasn't a conference tourney the Ladyjacks wouldn't have had a shot at the women's march madness.

SFA Jack Fanatic
TheRevSFA said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Well if there wasn't a conference tourney the Ladyjacks wouldn't have had a shot at the women's march madness.

I understand that. But better to have the best team in the conference in the Big Dance than some 4th, 5th, or 6th seed that gets lucky by having one good game on the very same day that the much better team has one bad game. We've seen that happen twice this weekend to the Prison Tech men and the Lamar women.

The conference tournament makes the regular season meaningless. Can you imagine if the 18-0 Jacks MBB of four years ago or the 18-0 Ladyjacks volleyball team this year had lost in the conference tournament and not made the NCAA's?
PurpleOut
Staff
Or our 2012-2013 Men's team that was 16-2. And then lost in the championship and instead get sent to Palo Alto for the NIT.

It's a recurring conversation that I've had for a long time. Everyone of course wants their team to be in it. But at the same time everyone "should" want the conference to have their best team in the tournament. I agree that the regular season is what makes your season. Sorry if you wanted a chance to get in you should have played better for those 3 months. 3 months > 3 days.

There's not a great answer unfortunately. Maybe don't have a large conference tournament, just give your top 4 teams the chance to win it. Similar to the way some conferences like the SunBelt are finishing their regular season with having the top 4 teams play each other again.
CertifiedAxeman98
I could not make the game yesterday but was planning on being at the game today to watch the Ladyjack. Sucks they lost yesterday.

I often wonder if small leagues like the SLC actually like having a different regular season and tournament champions. That way they have 2 auto bids in both the NCAA and NIT. If SAM had won the Men's tournament I doubt ACU would have gotten an NIT invite they tend to invite larger schools. You could probably argue that by having ACU in the tournament rather than SAM that you do have the best team in there they had a better NET/Kenpom most of the year and they probably will get a 15 where SAM may have ended up a 16.
SFAJack_76
MasterAxe said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Well, let me take a shot at explaining myself.

The term "stupid " has always been a trigger word for me. Intended or not, referring to the young girls on this team as being stupid, or simply not smart, makes me a little ragey. Experience matters in a win or go home game. A&M-Corpus has four underclassmen on their roster that collectively played 17 minutes yesterday. Juniors and Seniors got the remaining 183 minutes.

Kellogg is rebuilding the WBB program akin to what Golding is doing with the MBB program at ACU; from the ground up. He is unquestionably the best WBB coach we have had since Chadwick. (By the way, Chadwick hasn't forgotten how to coach at a high level.) Arguably, Kellogg may be the best since Blair. It is far too early to declare that of course. The SLC tournament championship will come, as long as he doesn't get hired away from us. Seven NCAA D2 appearances, including two runner ups, tells me he knows how to win post season games.

Losing Senior Harris before the season started was a big deal. Losing Junior Harvey for the latter part of the season was a big deal. Losing Junior Fisker for the season was not as big as the other two. Losing all three was not big just for their basketball abilities, but for their experience and leadership. Remember also that Mayfield, who became a starter, lost much of her freshman season to knee surgery. Give her a full off season, and she could become really good. Ladyjack sophomores and freshmen played 141 minutes yesterday.

Yesterday was frustrating. Disappointing for Imani J., and particularly for Hayes. Probably, they get at least one more chance to put on Ladyjack purple.

With the probable returners (you never know), the recruits signed, and hopefully one or two more, the future of Ladyjack basketball is very bright.
Pilotgirl
SFAJack_76 said:

MasterAxe said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Well, let me take a shot at explaining myself.

The term "stupid " has always been a trigger word for me. Intended or not, referring to the young girls on this team as being stupid, or simply not smart, makes me a little ragey. Experience matters in a win or go home game. A&M-Corpus has four underclassmen on their roster that collectively played 17 minutes yesterday. Juniors and Seniors got the remaining 183 minutes.

Kellogg is rebuilding the WBB program akin to what Golding is doing with the MBB program at ACU; from the ground up. He is unquestionably the best WBB coach we have had since Chadwick. (By the way, Chadwick hasn't forgotten how to coach at a high level.) Arguably, Kellogg may be the best since Blair. It is far too early to declare that of course. The SLC tournament championship will come, as long as he doesn't get hired away from us. Seven NCAA D2 appearances, including two runner ups, tells me he knows how to win post season games.

Losing Senior Harris before the season started was a big deal. Losing Junior Harvey for the latter part of the season was a big deal. Losing Junior Fisker for the season was not as big as the other two. Losing all three was not big just for their basketball abilities, but for their experience and leadership. Remember also that Mayfield, who became a starter, lost much of her freshman season to knee surgery. Give her a full off season, and she could become really good. Ladyjack sophomores and freshmen played 141 minutes yesterday.

Yesterday was frustrating. Disappointing for Imani J., and particularly for Hayes. Probably, they get at least one more chance to put on Ladyjack purple.

With the probable returners (you never know), the recruits signed, and hopefully one or two more, the future of Ladyjack basketball is very bright.

Applauding all of this post.

I love this team...they are so close and a TRUE team. Linking arms, cheering from the bench, always supportive. They deserve more fans and calling it the Ladyjack curse is demeaning to those who worked their bums off. This team is strong & will be even better next year. I was proud to be in the stands yesterday. Frustrated at the game play? For shizzle. But this is a TEAM that deserved to be there with a big contingent of SFA fans cheering them on.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

All VERY well said, 76.
ACUCattitude
You are right. ACU would definitely NOT gotten an NIT invite. They told us ahead of time.
cboothe09
ACU women draw #1 overall seed Baylor

Weird part is they travel to Greensboro for this game...
SFA Jack Fanatic
cboothe09 said:

Sorry, but I just have to LOL! A blood bath....
SFAJack_76
cboothe09 said:

That will be ugly.
Pilotgirl
Ladyjacks to the WNIT!!!
Ljacks&Longnecks
Yes, WNIT facebook page shows Ladyjacks are in.....says brackets should be posted around 8:30 CT

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.