SFA / Abilene Christian

33,754 Views | 193 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TallTexan
RedRiverLa
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

So, what made the difference in this game vs. the close home losses to La Tech, Bama, and NSU? The tailgating! Obviously!
Uh oh - it's the only one I didn't attend.
wahlwesle
tangerito said:

Not to bust the celebration but I'm pretty sure Serrille was on the bench the first half but didn't come back out with the team. Any ideas?

He was definitely there. You can see him on the bench in some of the pictures posted on Facebook.
PurpleOut
Staff
He wasn't there in the second half.
nacluth
Here's my completely meaningless postgame thoughts:

Don't give up. This is a bruised, hurting team. The kind of team that could fold on a season and just be another so-so line in a record book. But, this team - whittled to its core like it is - has heart and strength of will. At times it may just seem like it's only Shannon's will or Kevon's, but they are finding their depth of character, and they will not quit. Whether it's down 12 with 2:57 or by 7 with 28 seconds left. They play until the buzzer. They will play until the very last second of the last game. Don't give up.

We made ACU play our game all night. The coaches planned out their strategy to stymie this offense that's been putting up 76 a night, and we strangled them. We played some horribly ugly ball for long stretches, but it was played at our pace not theirs. In some ways, I believe that the second half may have been the most dominant of the year. Kevon and Shannon may have been utterly gassed, but we cornered the Wildcats, and did what it takes to win.

Fitz had a terrible first half. Thankfully, he came alive in the second round. Bain was awesome in the first. Sammy owned the second. Gru is now the best passer on the team. Comeaux's change of pace - while not always productive - throws a wrench in the other team's scheme. Oh, and he had 4 huge steals. Oddyst's minutes letting Shannon get 3 of rest may have won the game.

Kevon is a stud. 40 minutes. Solid as a rock. I want this season for Shannon, but Kevon is the best player in the Southland. Period. Best defender. Best playmaker. Kevon is a winner.

Shannon may be the greatest Jack clutch shooter by the end of this season. He willed the basket to widen out to receive his too flat, too fast prayer of a shot, but because he's a basketball demigod, it did. I'll roll with him every time.

One third of the season down. 3-3. First two game D1 win streak of the season. Feels a lot better than 2-4. Feels like momentum. Like all the dead weight of the first part of the season is about to be left behind, and we're going to roll. At least that's what I'm telling myself until next week.

Sleep well Jacks fans.

Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
PurpleOut
Staff
Comeaux is really the key to the rest of the season to me. He didn't play particularly well tonight, but he's by far our best on ball defender and best ball distributor.

It sucks to say it, but the 8 guys we played tonight...might be what we see the rest of the season (minus play from walk-ons). We're not a roster set up for success right now. Plain and simple. But I still believe that Harris and Bogues are the best two players in the league, and if they are on...we can win on any night. We just need more consistent play from Fitz, along with Nieminen to step up. He can knock down the three, I'd like to see us try to run a few more plays to get him open at the top of the key. Bain is a energy/glue guy.

We may not have played the best tonight, but it took 19 points from Hayden Farquhar (averaging 4 PPG) for ACU to even be in this game. We held Lewis/Friday/Ricks to a combined 17 points. That's impressive.
SFA Jack Fanatic
ACU: "Who are you?"
Bogues: "I'm a game thief. I'm here to steal your game. It's my job."
ACU: "What?!"
Bogues: "What?"
ACU: "What?!?!?!?!"
Bogues: "What?"
Swish..........
Pilotgirl
I'm worried about Hayden from ACU. Hate to see ANY player hurt. Dude could barely walk. Kinda looked like his back and reminded me of a back injury I suffered from in 2013. Hope he is ok.
CertifiedAxeman98
After the first 10 or minutes or so of the game SFA really stepped up their Defense especially on the 3 line and I believe that was key especially in last few seconds of the game. Comeaux has been great on defense and needs to be in the game as much as possible when we play teams that shoot the 3 especially with Augustine out. Defense is all about hustle and positioning. These are things that can me learned and corrected in practice.

Anyone know what Sammy did to his ankle/foot in the game? I say him land after trying to rebound not get up very fast.
nacluth
We will see ACU March 5th in Abilene right before the season closer at home versus Sam. If we can use last night for momentum, that game in Abilene could be extremely important for seeding in Katy. We won the first important game, now let's get to the next one. Glad the Jacks have a week off to rest and regroup.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFAJack_76
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

Anyone know what Sammy did to his ankle/foot in the game? I say him land after trying to rebound not get up very fast.
I am pretty sure he rolled his ankle coming down with the rebound. He went to the locker room for a bit probably to get it taped. No doubt it hurts today, but with no game for a week, I suspect he will be okay.
MasterAxe
Stat is almost unbelievable:

In the past few seasons, Kyle Keller has had comebacks that totaled:

32 points down in 4:39

1st - Texas A&M won from 12 down in last 37 seconds in NCAA tournament
2nd - SFA won from 13 down in last 3:36 against Marist
3rd - SFA won from 7 down in last :26 seconds against ACU

Wow.

RedRiverLa
MasterAxe said:

Stat is almost unbelievable:

In the past few seasons, Kyle Keller has had comebacks that totaled:

32 points down in 4:39

1st - Texas A&M won from 12 down in last 37 seconds in NCAA tournament
2nd - SFA won from 13 down in last 3:36 against Marist
3rd - SFA won from 7 down in last :26 seconds against ACU

Wow.

You can only hope to have maybe one like this in a season - but Marist and ACU - wow, you cannot deny the heart that makes that happen.
nacluth
What's up danger?

nacluth
13 down to LaTech at 9:39 to force overtime. Not a win but still shows we don't quit.
nacluth
Never tell me the odds....

djsfw57
nacluth said:

Never tell me the odds....

Just when you think no one is paying attention any more... GO JACKS!!!
No-look
Win was a team effort last night. Everyone contributed. But the shot that is a head scratcher is the shot Bogues made right before he hit the game winner. I guess you would call it a lay up? That was the weirdest shot that I've seen. Not sure how he made it happen but he did. You can't draw that one up. Lol
TallTexan
I for one am glad that Nikki Wallace is getting her money's worth on advertising after we basically robbed her on the first down sponsorship last season.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

I for one am glad that Nikki Wallace is getting her money's worth on advertising after we basically robbed her on the first down sponsorship last season.
Why do you keep dragging poor ol' Nikki into these things?

(BTW, I hear she sells some swell health insurance. Interested, Texan?)
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

TallTexan said:

Why do you keep dragging poor ol' Nikki into these things?

(BTW, I hear she sells some swell health insurance. Interested, Texan?)
Lol, I was just glad she was getting the advertising she paid for.

And as far as I know, State Farm is just a "reseller" for BCBS. The horror!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.