SFA / Abilene Christian

33,646 Views | 193 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TallTexan
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (9-8, 2-3) vs. Abilene Christian (16-3, 5-1)

WHEN: JAN. 23 (WED) 6:30 P.M.
WHERE: WRJ Coliseum (Nacogdoches, TX)
WATCH: ESPN+

Wednesday night in Nacogdoches will see the winner of four out of the last five SLC tournaments face an opponent who has never even qualified to go to Katy. However, the Jacks will be the underdogs at home. (When's the last time the Jacks were the underdog at home versus a conference opponent? 7, 8, maybe 9 years ago?)

Last year, SFA traveled to Abilene to face the surprisingly strong Wildcats who were 4-2. Both ACU losses were by a single possession, and many felt like a breakout year was in store for the team. After the 10 point setback, ACU floundered only managing 4 more wins and missed qualifying in tiebreaker to be able to make it to Katy.

This year, ACU is coming in at 5-1. Their only loss again by a single possession to first place Sam. (They rallied from more than 20 down to almost pull it off without their star center.) This year people at the SLC's western point are starting to believe that not only qualifying for Katy is possible, but winning it is. SFA's slow start and known host of injuries have the Wildcats believing this is their year to wear the Southland crown. However, all talk of catching Sam is moot if they forget about the test they face tomorrow.

ACU is a veteran team led by all upperclassmen. Franklin their senior PG is leading an all star offense that's averaging 76 ppg. He has a 2-1 assist/TO ratio with solid up front defense. Their #2 Ricks is leading the Southland in 3 pt percentage. (The team as a whole is connecting at over 41% behind the arc.) Lewis is pounding the interior as a power forward, and Friday is their star center. This team may be the most complete team in the Southland. They capitalize on their perimeter shooting to clear out the interior game. Their defense is disciplined and typically does not allow huge runs (the 20+ run by Sam being the notable exception). Their experience has allowed them to embrace a team dynamic which is their strongest advantage.

The Lumberjacks aren't anyone's easy pickings. Down several key players, SFA is limping into this high-powered matchup. The Jacks haven't scored above ACU's 76ppg (against D1) since playing LaTech in early December. Guard defense is going to be a priority Wednesday. Usually a SFA strength, Bogues, Kevon, and Bain are going to have to face up to the outside shots. Fitz and Sammy should be even strength inside, but Mitch and Nate are going to have to battle inside too in order to slow the Wildcats. Facing fire with Fire May come down to home court help. The Jacks will need to get comfortable putting the ball in the rim from deep and get their recent long shot slump under control. The Jacks are ankle deep right now, but the bench is going to have to provide quality minutes to put down this upstart ACU squad.

Honestly, I think ACU while a very talented team is going to be fool's gold once again. They will finally make it to Katy, but their late season travel will wear on them. It does every team, but the problem with having the farthest to go incrementally builds. I would not be surprised to see a late season slump that might allow the Jacks game in Abilene to mean quite a bit about seeding. But first things first. A win by ACU puts them in the driver's seat going forward. A win by SFA gives them the confidence to claw back from that three game skid going forward. ACU hasn't lost a midweek game this year, but there's always a first time for everything. Might as well be tomorrow.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFAJack_76
Forecast is cool, but dry.

tangerito
Also back by unpopular demand. RAIN
Pilotgirl
I know it's for WOW but this set up would be better for when we play SAM, IMO.
SFAJack_76
tangerito said:

Also back by unpopular demand. RAIN
Rain is forecast to clear out by 8:00 AM. Cool and dry forecast.
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl said:

I know it's for WOW but this set up would be better for when we play SAM, IMO.
Do you know they aren't going to do it for the Sam double header on March 9? I recall hearing the plan was to do it for a few more games.
SFA Jack Fanatic
What's the status of Karl Nicholas for this game? Is he still in the doghouse? And how about Aaron?
TallTexan
It's gameday!
nacluth
Game day!!!!! Back to the grindstone. Time to work.

Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
BigJack85
Sounds like there going going gone!
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
MasterAxe
ACU is better than us...at this moment.

HUGE GAME...both for our standings and our mental momentum.

Season-changing type of game.
nacluth
Agree here. A win could coalesce this team. A loss means muddling along for quite a while.
MasterAxe
nacluth said:

Agree here. A win could coalesce this team. A loss means muddling along for quite a while.
"Coalesce"...A+ word usage.

CertifiedAxeman98
On the court Nicholas can be frustrating. He will get a good block or rebound or get open for a easy slam. Then moments later he will throw the ball away (it happens way more than I would like to see and when he has the ball ready to pass I hold my breath) or he jacks up an ill advised shot. Whatever is keeping him off the court now is not helping things. With Hart and Pope coming in next year and hopefully a return of Holyfield it will be a bit crowded in the post.
MasterAxe
Stats of note: Comparative

ACU - #1 in FG Percentage in SLC
#1 in 3PT Percentage in SLC
#3 in Scoring Average in SLC
#12 in Rebounding in SLC
#3 in Steals in SLC

SFA - #7 in FG Percentage
#3 in 3PT Percentage
#9 in Scoring Average
T6 in Rebounding
#9 in Steals.

Two areas we must win:

WE HAVE TO WIN THE BATTLE ON THE BOARDS and PROTECT THE THREE POINT LINE!

ACU does not miss much, so when they do, we have to be there. This team is the epitome of "don't give them extra possessions."

Big Test Tonight. BIG.
CertifiedAxeman98
Backdoor cuts (TJ being out replaced with inexperienced guys in the post this year) and open 3s (no constant true point guard this year to defend and challenge the 3, too much help D). Both have been the Achilles heel of this team. Going to be a tough game.

I am ready to get be back in Nac. My first game since Alabama.
migata33
If ACU comes into our house tonight and wins then I am going to be livid! If Sam can beat them at home then by gawd we sure as heck better! They beat 2 non conference D1 opponent with a winning record(Campbell(10-8) and Pacific (11-10)) They need to be shown what a real opponent can do and get a 20 point pasting tonight. We better show the f up for this one! I keep hoping the current game will be the one we start to gel and act like the pre season projected SLC champs. Tonight is the night and ACU needs to feel the burn! Go Jacks! SFA 75 ACU 10...or SFA 69 ACU 60...either is fine
jboy93
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

Backdoor cuts (TJ being out replaced with inexperienced guys in the post this year) and open 3s (no constant true point guard this year to defend and challenge the 3, too much help D). Both have been the Achilles heel of this team. Going to be a tough game.

I am ready to get be back in Nac. My first game since Alabama.
Just saying that now that you mentioned "Achilles heel", I just hope someone doesn't go down with a blown one tonight! lol Just the way the season is going!
nacluth
About to head to the fun fest with the kids.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

About to head to the fun fest with the kids.

Let us know how it is.
nacluth
A little lame right now as I guess setup started after 4. Not super family friendly. No inflatables. Lots of giveaways for SFA students. Looks like around 6 it might be rocking.
nacluth

My kids made the best of it. No one was there except the students running the tables. Looks like closer to game time it will be fuller, but everything is for SFA students which is understandable. Not quite like I imagined, but a good start in freezing weather.
SFAJack_76
Whatever, I wish nothing but the best for this young man.

TallTexan
Thought I'd ask you guys. Is there a reason our home games are at 630?

It makes driving in tough and we're just an hour away.
KirkHeath12
Shooting 100 percent from the free throw line so far!
Class of 2012
Axe Em
MasterAxe
Same ***** New game.

We absolutely refuse to try anything different.

Same crappy O. Same crappy D.

Incredible.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Ice cold.
nacluth
First double digit deficit!
sfa17
Welp
No-look
These mindless turnovers are making my blood pressure rise. Lol
KirkHeath12
I am already frustrated with them this early in the game.
Class of 2012
Axe Em
SFA Jack Fanatic
Bad ball handling. Butterfingers.
Jacks4460
No-look said:

These mindless turnovers are making my blood pressure rise. Lol

Making me want to turn the TV off...
nacluth
At least we're not fouling
SFA Jack Fanatic
An injury. What a surprise.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.