SFA / New Orleans

29,009 Views | 163 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CertifiedAxeman98
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (8-7, 1-2) vs. New Orleans (8-7, 3-1)

WHEN: JAN. 16 (WED) 7:00 P.M.
WHERE: Lakefront Arena (New Orleans, LA)
WATCH: UNO Privateers Live

Louisiana. Last year was the site of two of the biggest wins of the season. Who can forget Kevon's last drive to beat La Tech and kickstart the season's high aspirations? Or who has forgotten Canete's LSU heroics which saw him driving, dishing, and draining threes to topple LSU by a point? Our tiny boot shaped neighbor to the east may have had the fortune of getting the top two seeds in the SLC tournament, but in part due to SFA's 9-1 record against LA teams last year, we played in Dallas in the NCAA's.

Louisiana. This year it's the site of our two most aggregious losses. A first three minute thumping by UL-Monroe that saw us down by double digits before we scored a point. Then last Wednesday in Thibodaux had the Jacks leading essentially a brand new roster for only 14 seconds before being taught how to close out a game by making free throws. SFA is already 1-4 to LA teams this year...and it's not getting any easier.

UNO's nonconference play was unimpressive with only one D1 win to Riley's South Alabama squad and a 40 point trouncing by Baylor. However, after losing their opener in Abilene, UNO has rattled off three wins: HBU, at Lamar, McNeese. Closing out all three games down the stretch, the Privateers are showing that their in-your-face straight up type of basketball is going to be here all the way to March. There will be no cake walk in the Big Easy. SFA will not be favored to win and with good reason.

SFA is 4-7 against D1 opponents this year. They have a chance to be down three games after playing 4 in the Southland after Wednesday's matchup. Right now, SFA's concern isn't if they're taking the SLC crown this year, but if they are looking at playing a potential 4 games in 4 days in Katy to make it back to the Big Dance. 2-2 in conference is a mile away from 1-3. The Lumberjacks are going to have to figure something out to make sure Louisiana isn't using its tiny boot to kick us to the curb this year.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
ljax1979
Great job on this as always Ryan, but reading this is so depressing.
nacluth
Thanks ljax. I actually think we match up well against UNO, and I think Aaron and the offense will play better, but the truth is that three losses in a row is what we're looking at without some major improvement. It's not a must win. But it will be a back breaker to whatever confidence this team still has.
Txjack
I did not hear coaches radio show last night; any mention of Comeaux or Nicholas status for the game?
Tonight we start to "rise up" like coach said on KTRE webxtra; let this be our battle cry!

If we lose a third in a row, I'm hiding in the closet in a fetal position.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Txjack said:

I did not hear coaches radio show last night; any mention of Comeaux or Nicholas status for the game?
Tonight we start to "rise up" like coach said on KTRE webxtra; let this be our battle cry!

If we lose a third in a row, I'm hiding in the closet in a fetal position.

Got room for one more in there, just in case?
PurpleOut
Staff
This one is going to be tough, IMO. UNO is always a very gritty team to play against. And on the road, it just scares me this season. They don't have a ton of size, and think Nicholas could have a good chance at a big game if he can go.
RedRiverLa
In his recent presser at the Fredonia, Keller said we should be dangerous by February (a slight amendment from 'by conference'). If we don't take advantage of January we may be too far down for a 'dangerous' February to elevate us, and I don't think we have the ability to go 4-for-4 in Katy. Chemistry is one thing, but our continued shooting woes (FG & FT) aren't just a switch you flip. But let's go Jacks!
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
No-look
Today is a new day! It's the first day for the rest of conference play! Going to start and finish strong tonight!
nacluth
Game Day!!!! Get pumped!

Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
RedRiverLa
nacluth said:

Game Day!!!! Get pumped!

Beautiful! Are you trying to make us cry with that clip!?
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
nacluth
Come on Ron. No need to cry. This happened a few weeks ago. Time to get on board Shannon's pain train that he's bringing to NO.

Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFA Jack Fanatic
UNO is 4th in the nation in steals (10.1/game), 5th in turnovers (19.1/game), and 29th in assists (16.9/game). 6'4" Jr. guard Bryson Robinson from Mesquite is their leading scorer and was named the SLC Player of the Week after averaging 17.5 in two games last week.
Txjack
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

UNO is 4th in the nation in steals (10.1/game), 5th in turnovers (19.1/game), and 29th in assists (16.9/game). 6'4" Jr. guard Bryson Robinson from Mesquite is their leading scorer and was named the SLC Player of the Week after averaging 17.5 in two games last week.
Ugh, remember when we use to lead in steals and TO's forced...here's to getting the band back together and playing Lumberjack ball. #riseup, #mark my words...

Happy Birthday to Coach Keller!!
No-look
Is NO a good three shooting team? Strengths, weaknesses?
SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

Is NO a good three shooting team? Strengths, weaknesses?
Shooting .314 from three and .449 overall.

I was wrong in stating that Robinson was their leading scorer. He was last week, but for the season Ezekiel Charles (6'4" SR.) is, at 12.1 ppg. They have very balanced scoring, with five players averaging over 8 ppg. Charles is also their leading rebounder at 5.5 rpg.

Although it's true that they've won three straight, two of those were OT wins, so they could just as easily be 1-3.
migata33
New Orleans is a jeckle and hide team. Home they win road they lose. With that said SFA is going to want to take out some frustration this game as I guarantee you Coach Mason has been in their face for a week now and he can chop the biggest tree down to a twig. This is a put up or shut up game for this team and I really feel Keller is working this as a back against the wall leave it all out there event. If SFA doesn't come out of this game with a win I would be shocked. Probably looking at a score of SFA 71 NO 63. Bogues is going to eat today and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets 25+ points tonight. Free Jock Hughes for gosh sakes...dude is a master from 3 points...I saw him in Houston when he was at Yates and trust me the dude can fill it up.
SFA Jack Fanatic
migata33 said:

Free Jock Hughes for gosh sakes...dude is a master from 3 points...I saw him in Houston when he was at Yates and trust me the dude can fill it up.

Agree 100%. I saw him a couple of times playing for Yates. It's mind-boggling that they're not using him more when other teams are clogging the paint. I know his defense is not his greatest asset, but there have been times that we've needed an outside presence to shoot over a zone and they didn't utilize his 3-point shooting talent.
nacluth
I have obligations tonight, so I'll catch a replay late. Stay angry at the basketball and fired up for the Jacks!

Axe 'em! #markmywords
No-look
Just saw a tweet that's making me wonder???
MasterAxe
migata33 said:

New Orleans is a jeckle and hide team. Home they win road they lose. With that said SFA is going to want to take out some frustration this game as I guarantee you Coach Mason has been in their face for a week now and he can chop the biggest tree down to a twig. This is a put up or shut up game for this team and I really feel Keller is working this as a back against the wall leave it all out there event. If SFA doesn't come out of this game with a win I would be shocked. Probably looking at a score of SFA 71 NO 63. Bogues is going to eat today and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets 25+ points tonight. Free Jock Hughes for gosh sakes...dude is a master from 3 points...I saw him in Houston when he was at Yates and trust me the dude can fill it up.
Terrific post. Passionate. Love it.

Responses: We are so bad on the road. By my count, we have a whopping 1 win on the "road," and that was neutral site in Ireland. Yikes.

I am with you on the "backs against the wall" comment. Feels like this is a MUST WIN, if you can have on this early in the conference season.

Shannon...going off. I'm with you.

As for Jock, it is plain and simple. He is just not good on defense, for whatever reason. Whether it effort or coaching or discipline, he is so bad on D. Against NWSt, he played 3 minutes. Why? He was beaten on back-to-back backdoor plays leading to layups. If we have learned anything, Kyle Keller has no time for those that play no D. No matter how good you are on offense, as we have seen, no D means no PT. Plain and simple. Mitch was going through that early but seems to have turned the corner a bit. Kyle Keller is literally the anti-Yates style.

I will bring up another key...Fitz. He is so key. When he is calm and under control and taking good shots, he is so good. What we have seen is...not good. At least recently.

I anticipate us playing well, don't know if we will win, but good LORD, let's just play better.
nacluth
Post that sucker.
migata33
MasterAxe said:

migata33 said:

Terrific post. Passionate. Love it.

Responses: We are so bad on the road. By my count, we have a whopping 1 win on the "road," and that was neutral site in Ireland. Yikes.

I am with you on the "backs against the wall" comment. Feels like this is a MUST WIN, if you can have on this early in the conference season.

Shannon...going off. I'm with you.

As for Jock, it is plain and simple. He is just not good on defense, for whatever reason. Whether it effort or coaching or discipline, he is so bad on D. Against NWSt, he played 3 minutes. Why? He was beaten on back-to-back backdoor plays leading to layups. If we have learned anything, Kyle Keller has no time for those that play no D. No matter how good you are on offense, as we have seen, no D means no PT. Plain and simple. Mitch was going through that early but seems to have turned the corner a bit. Kyle Keller is literally the anti-Yates style.

I will bring up another key...Fitz. He is so key. When he is calm and under control and taking good shots, he is so good. What we have seen is...not good. At least recently.

I anticipate us playing well, don't know if we will win, but good LORD, let's just play better.
Excellent points and uncertain if a 3 2 or 2 3 zone would help along Jocks D. He is not capable in a man situation for now. I have also noticed he has not gotten good at shot creation on the college level yet. He will get better when minutes come his way. Mitch is a beast physically and has no issue getting dirty so to speak. He has really really good potential to make a difference down the line. Fitz can be a huge weapon for us like you mentioned when he is under control and good observation on that. I look forward to seeing what Coach K's wheel of offense lands on tonight. Go Jacks!
No-look
Hhttps://twitter.com/_fahlip_/status/1085661279421755398?s=21. Hope this means nothing.
MasterAxe
I'm totally ok if Keller does this....

Starting Five...Aaron, Shannon, Kevon, Jock, Bain.

And the he says..."Go play Yates ball."

Seriously, what's the worst that could happen? Or offense is in a slog right now...roll the ball out and let them go.
nacluth
Baylor is our one road win.
MasterAxe
nacluth said:

Baylor is our one road win.
And this is why I was not a Math major...cause I can't count.

You are correct.
nacluth
No-look said:

[media=Twitter][/media]. Hope this means nothing.
Probably mad he can't get his National Park passport stamps today.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

I have obligations tonight, so I'll catch a replay late. Stay angry at the basketball and fired up for the Jacks!

Axe 'em! #markmywords

What, why didn' you tell me that before I made my pick? I needed to factor that in.
No-look
KirkHeath12
I did not realize you have to pay to watch this game on UNO webiste. I really hate them now.
Class of 2012
Axe Em
HJC69
I've paid the subscription to watch the game and all that comes up are the women. Any suggestions?
KirkHeath12
I did see there was an option for the men below their small screen.
Class of 2012
Axe Em
TallTexan
PPV? What?
MasterAxe
Jovan is +4 in 2 minutes.

Keller playing chess vs UNO's checkers lol
No-look
I've paid but still can't get a pic

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.