BELFAST CLASSIC

19,283 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
Pilotgirl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So I stole/borrowed this from Marist message board. User name Red Fox gets all the credit, so no plagarism here! Missing 3 teams from the tournament I believe....Marist (new coach; Milwaukee, and another?? Maybe someone can add to?)

Stephen F. Austin- Record: 28-7 RPI: 107th
Won the Southland Conference Tournament and was a #14 seed in the NCAA tournament. Lost 70-60 to the #3 seed Texas Tech. They return pretty much their entire team from last season. Lose their 6th man off the bench, but return their top 5 leading scorers and all other reserves.

University of Buffalo- Record: 27-9 RPI: 26th
Won the MAC Tournament and was a #13 seed in the NCAA tournament. They beat #4 seed Arizona 89-68, then lost to #5 seed Kentucky 95-75. Their roster had 4 players average over 15ppg last season. They return their top 3 leading scorers, and only lose their 4th leading scorer (a 6'0" guard). Otherwise all bench players return.

Dartmouth- Record: 7-20 RPI: 334th
Finished in Last place in the Ivy League this past season. They return 3 starters, but lose their top 2 leading scorers. Return all key role players off the bench, who will have to step into the starting lineup. Should be another down year for Dartmouth.

Albany- Record: 22-10 RPI: 146th
Lost in the Quarterfinals of the America East tournament to Stony Brook 69-60. They lose 2 of their top 3 leading scorers to grad transfers (Joe Cremo went to Villanova and David Nichols went to Florida State); they also lose their starting big man (leading rebounder) to graduation. They return 2 starters and some key bench players who will need to step into the starting lineup.

LIU-Brooklyn- Record: 18-17 RPI: 237th
Won the NEC Tournament and was a #16 seed in the NCAA tournament. They lost in the first four game to other #16 seed Radford 71-61. This season they lose their leading scorer to graduation, but return 3 starters.
nacluth
Thanks! Great info.
Pilotgirl
nacluth said:

Thanks! Great info.

Lol thanks but just copy/paste. Marist fans not entirely happy about playing in Nac bc of where it is located. One fan cane up with idea of playing SAM while they were in the area...I thought that was a good idea! Haha.

Marist lost to Lehigh, 78-72. Miami went on to play Lehigh with their season opener before they played us. Food for thought. They have a guard, Parker, who scores A LOT, so we will need to shut him down.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Pilotgirl said:

They have a guard, Parker, who scores A LOT, so we will need to shut him down.
Exactly. Averaging over 20 ppg through three games. I'm sure Coach K will have guys hounding him.

Also noticed that the writer of that post apparently is unaware of our injuries.
Pilotgirl
edstile said:

Pilotgirl said:

They have a guard, Parker, who scores A LOT, so we will need to shut him down.
Exactly. Averaging over 20 ppg through three games. I'm sure Coach K will have guys hounding him.

Also noticed that the writer of that post apparently is unaware of our injuries.

Yes, he was. But i wasn't going to correct him lol
nacluth
I read in SFA's official write up that the St. Edwards game is the second home game in the Belfast Classic. That seems weird.
Pilotgirl
nacluth said:

I read in SFA's official write up that the St. Edwards game is the second home game in the Belfast Classic. That seems weird.

Yes, I believe that is correct.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Here's a crazy idea. Due to injury and shooting problems that he has with his shoulder, it's obvious that the Kevon Harris playing right now is not the Kevon Harris who ended the year last season.

Does anyone else think that Kevon should be held out of the entirety of the rest of the Belfast tournament to allow time to heal? I know there's a 0% chance of that happening, but then again, the Jacks had a 1.5% chance of winning that game with 3:23 left on the clock last night.
nacluth
You're certifiable Ed, but he should be limited more than 39 minutes. Jock and Karl need to give Kevon and Shannon 5-8 minutes of bench time a game...if not more. We'll see less of Kevon if Karl can hit the floor.

1-0 Belfast Classic. Three to go.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

You're certifiable Ed, but he should be limited more than 39 minutes. Jock and Karl need to give Kevon and Shannon 5-8 minutes of bench time a game...if not more. We'll see less of Kevon if Karl can hit the floor.

1-0 Belfast Classic. Three to go.

Ya he definitely needs to be limited, but he's an asset on defense still. But it'd be better if they can split minutes.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

You're certifiable Ed,
Have you been talking to my wife??
Pilotgirl
Watched the last 2 minutes of game on ESPN app on my phone here in NOLA....so glad we had a couple French 75s beforehand or we would have never made it!
Pilotgirl
UNPOPULAR OPINION/POST (go figure)

I 100% support Keller benching 2 pivotal players during this game & during the off season. It probably comes from the educator side of me. This is about team dynamics & if you show up late for something, that shows you don't care or isnt a priority. Who knows...coulda been a pattern of behavior..maybe it was their 2nd or 3rd time. It isn't fair to rest of guys.

Benching shows them how hard their teammates have to play without their help...and then we have the big reinforcer of peer pressure. I know this is a basketball team but it's also instilling character & leadership in these young men...making them mature. Keller is more than about BB. He loves these players...they are family to him. So, yup, I think he would take that L to teach a lesson. And I respect that.

Pilotgirl
Until my family moved to a big city, we lived in a small town in East Texas where we lived and breathed BB. I was attending games as a toddler. Every Tuesday and Friday, off we would go. We traveled with the team. And every March, in Austin playing for championship. This is late 80s, early 90s. One year, star players missed curfew and decided to live it up on 6th St. Coach benched them and played our 2nd string. Of course, we lost the final game and Championship. The town was outraged. My parents, both teachers, and others, understood why....it was more than BB. It was teaching accountability, maturity, team sport. We returned the next yr and grabbed the championship.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Not unpopular here, completely agree with you. Without a team first concept we would be destined to fail. Seems to me that SFAs success in the Underwood/Keller era has come because Team came first over someone being a stud in his own mind. We have had some excellent players but for my money without the full on team attitude we wouldn't have had the success we have seen the last few years.
SFAJack_76
Also not an unpopular take with me. I hope those two are willing to mature rapidly and become a part of the team. Watching the team during the alma mater, they both half-assed the axe hand sign. Looking down the line of players and coaches, most had it up high. I am concerned about both. Surely some of the older players are working with them. TJ doesn't have anything else to do. He did look good in a button down shirt and tie last night.

Not that it matters, But I won't be participating in game time threads anymore. I found last night that the negative posters were ruining what is supposed to be a fun time. I get frustration and criticism, but the always negative is something I choose to stay away from. I enjoyed the game much more after I turned my phone off. So glad we were there to see it.
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

Until my family moved to a big city, we lived in a small town in East Texas where we lived and breathed BB. I was attending games as a toddler. Every Tuesday and Friday, off we would go. We traveled with the team. And every March, in Austin playing for championship. This is late 80s, early 90s. One year, star players missed curfew and decided to live it up on 6th St. Coach benched them and played our 2nd string. Of course, we lost the final game and Championship. The town was outraged. My parents, both teachers, and others, understood why....it was more than BB. It was teaching accountability, maturity, team sport. We returned the next yr and grabbed the championship.
Conversely, my high school let 4 of our star football players get away with a warning after breaking into the school and stealing stuff, and all 4 washed out of college and one's in prison.

It's about so much more than wins or losses, but you can build a heck of a contender with high character guys/girls and they'll always represent the university well.
Pilotgirl
SFAJack_76 said:

Also not an unpopular take with me. I hope those two are willing to mature rapidly and become a part of the team. Watching the team during the alma mater, they both half-assed the axe hand sign. Looking down the line of players and coaches, most had it up high. I am concerned about both. Surely some of the older players are working with them. TJ doesn't have anything else to do. He did look good in a button down shirt and tie last night.

Not that it matters, But I won't be participating in game time threads anymore. I found last night that the negative posters were ruining what is supposed to be a fun time. I get frustration and criticism, but the always negative is something I choose to stay away from. I enjoyed the game much more after I turned my phone off. So glad we were there to see it.

I am 100% with you there, sir. You are not alone.
jboy93
St Edwards plays Saturday in Kingsville and then has to bus to Nac and play Sunday. Holy cow who is their scheduler? We really need to show out at this game!
jboy93
Sorry they play in Austin but still...
djsfw57
Pilotgirl said:

UNPOPULAR OPINION/POST (go figure)

I 100% support Keller benching 2 pivotal players during this game & during the off season. It probably comes from the educator side of me. This is about team dynamics & if you show up late for something, that shows you don't care or isnt a priority. Who knows...coulda been a pattern of behavior..maybe it was their 2nd or 3rd time. It isn't fair to rest of guys.

Benching shows them how hard their teammates have to play without their help...and then we have the big reinforcer of peer pressure. I know this is a basketball team but it's also instilling character & leadership in these young men...making them mature. Keller is more than about BB. He loves these players...they are family to him. So, yup, I think he would take that L to teach a lesson. And I respect that.

Nice.
nacluth
Our game is an exhibition. Same for Texas Wesleyan. Both teams played a "real" game the night before. This is a pure money game for them.
sfa17
San Francisco improves to 5-0 after a win offer Harvard. They shot 2-18 from 3 but still won. They also had 4 guys in double figures. Dartmouth next
SFA Jack Fanatic
jboy93 said:

St Edwards plays Saturday in Kingsville and then has to bus to Nac and play Sunday. Holy cow who is their scheduler? We really need to show out at this game!
St. Ed's is 6-0 and will be 7-0 when they play us. They are ranked #14 in one D-II poll and #21 in another. That game will not be easy. They are a high-scoring bunch. The Jacks had better be ready to play defense or it could be a long day...
Pilotgirl
edstile said:

jboy93 said:

St. Ed's is 6-0 and will be 7-0 when they play us. They are ranked #14 in one D-II poll and #21 in another. That game will not be easy. They are a high-scoring bunch. The Jacks had better be ready to play defense or it could be a long day...

Oh boy....
cboothe09
I saw where Texas Wesleyan is ranked #6 in NAIA.
TallTexan
cboothe09 said:

We need to start scheduling the trash NAIA teams. There's no upside and all downside to playing the better ones.
sfa17
TallTexan said:

We need to start scheduling the trash NAIA teams. There's no upside and all downside to playing the better ones.
Ironically that is probably the same thing P5 teams say about scheduling us. But it makes sense
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

cboothe09 said:

Respectfully disagree. You don't get better playing trash teams.
Pilotgirl
Anyone have detailed stats on St. Edwards?
Pilotgirl
Team stats vs UTSA

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/matchup?gameId=401090313
Pilotgirl
Write up on upset 77-76 vs UTSA (ESPN)

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=401090313
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl said:

Anyone have detailed stats on St. Edwards?
https://gohilltoppers.com/cumestats.aspx?path=mbball
Ballwatch
Marist vs Buffalo slated to start at 1:00 p.m.
nacluth
Buffalo looks fast and hot from the perimeter.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.