Battle for QB1

20,612 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Jacks4460
SFASawmillGuy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
With spring training looming I thought this would be a good time to start a thread about the upcoming QB battle. Foster Sawyer and Josh Covey will be the obvious front runners for the starting job.

Of note, Josh has been working with a private QB coach and has reportedly been putting in very good work.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA_03 said:

With spring training looming I thought this would be a good time to start a thread about the upcoming QB battle. Foster Sawyer and Josh Covey will be the obvious front runners for the starting job.

Of note, Josh has been working with a private QB coach and has reportedly been putting in very good work.
A two-QB system, at least for a while, perhaps?
Jacks4460
Josh is gonna be a pleasant surprise.. I like that he didn't want to sit on the bench at UT and wants to start somewhere and make a difference.. says he is a competitor and that's what we need at QB..
BigJack85
I hope he (Josh) is fully committed to SFA. I believe I read some comments from him that he would be headed back to UT for his degree whenever he completes his stint at SFA.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Ljacks&Longnecks
Yes Big he has stated that he will return to UT for his degree.
He has been described as a competitor so I'm hoping that he will leave it all out on the field his two years here at SFA and I welcome the competition at QB in order to improve our standing in football.
MasterAxe
"If you have two quarterbacks...you have no quarterbacks."

Says everyone and every team after they try this.

Pick the best. Stick with him.
Jacks4460
I agree you pick a man and then roll with him..

I do like the 2nd QB for the quality depth they can provide. We dont need to sleep on the Arnold kid. He has proven to be a winner.. Coming in as fresh. and start will be hard but a good redshirt year then he will be in the mix to compete for the job..
TallTexan
I vote for the QB that knows how to run the touchdown play.
SFASawmillGuy
MasterAxe said:

"If you have two quarterbacks...you have no quarterbacks."

Says everyone and every team after they try this.

Pick the best. Stick with him.

I agree. Anytime someone says 2 QB system I think of the tragedy of David Ash and Case McCoy.

Arnold will mix it up I think, but I'd go ahead and redshirt him this year and keep Jake Blumrick as the 3rd QB, just due to experience. I'm theory, we should be set at QB now for a while. Just need to figure out who's gonna be taking snaps.
FootballTex
Great Offseason topic but the reality is that we have a fairly immobile assumed starter that has no real game experience and a new transfer that has no game experience. Blumrick has the most game experience but could not really get over the hump last year. So it is just wild speculation at this point. Not sure that the Spring will clear anything up, so we won't likely know until about Game 3 in the Fall. At least it looks like there are more options this year. Maybe a gamer will emerge.
SFA Jack Fanatic
FootballTex said:

Great Offseason topic but the reality is that we have a fairly immobile assumed starter that has no real game experience and a new transfer that has no game experience. Blumrick has the most game experience but could not really get over the hump last year. So it is just wild speculation at this point. Not sure that the Spring will clear anything up, so we won't likely know until about Game 3 in the Fall. At least it looks like there are more options this year. Maybe a gamer will emerge.
Good comments. And welcome to the Forums, Football!
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

I vote for the QB that knows how to run the touchdown play.
Gotta love the Texan. He knows his sports!
SFAXE93
SFASawmillGuy
Foster reportedly not even participating until the summer. If Josh lights it up, could be bad for the TCU transfer.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA_03 said:

Foster reportedly not even participating until the summer. If Josh lights it up, could be bad for the TCU transfer.
Still injured?
SFASawmillGuy
Precautionary from what I've heard.
SFASawmillGuy
Foster is participating, but very very limited.
SFAXE93
Jacks4460
I miss that practice field.. You talk about a humid SOB..It is really a beautiful field...
SFAXE93
http://sfajacks.com/news/2018/4/6/lumberjack-football-wraps-up-first-full-week-of-spring-practice-hosts-first-scrimmage-of-2018.aspx
SFAXE93
SFASawmillGuy
Covey and Blumrick both looked very good during the scrimmage. Josh has some serious wheels and Jake looks shockingly better than he did a few months ago.
Might be a more interesting and open QB battle than anticipated.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA_03 said:

Covey and Blumrick both looked very good during the scrimmage. Josh has some serious wheels and Jake looks shockingly better than he did a few months ago.
How are each of them doing in throwing the ball? Velocity? Accuracy? Any chance that Arnold will be redshirted?
BigJack85
SFA_03 said:

That's good news. Maybe having some wheels will take some (a little) off the o-line. That could translate into a one or two game swing. If we were 6-5 last year we might feel like we have some hope this year.
Jacks4460
Blumrick pulled a hammy.. Coach said that today in his little presser...
nacluth
Jacks4460 said:

Blumrick pulled a hammy.. Coach said that today in his little presser...
At least he's got a couple months to rest it.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFASawmillGuy
I think the player we have right now with the absolute biggest upside based on the incredibly small sample size is Josh Covey. The athleticism is huge. He's small so he won't be bulldozing anyone like Zach was able to but he's very fast and agile with a very fast release on his throws. Accuracy is to be determined with him, but he has a huge upside.

Jake has always been a great practice field player, he's just never looked quite this good. He's clearly been working a lot on his technique and is still a more pure passer than josh, but I think josh brings too much positive to the table.

And of course we can't rule out Foster. He's got the best arm out of all our QBs but his health is now a massive area for concern.

The way I see it, we have 2 potential starters and 1 solid backup.

The only way we don't redshirt Arnold is if we lose the potential 3 or 4 QBs ahead of him on the depth chart.
Jackem
Y'all have no idea what y'all are talking about
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jackem said:

This is an open forum of opinions. One person's opinion is just as good as the next guy's. So, rather than criticize others, please provide your opinion and details to support it.
SFAJack_76
Jackem said:

A very insightful first post. Thanks for sharing.
lmbalum08
Explain to me why Josh Covey has such a huge upside? Because Tom Herman said so? you know who else had a huge "upside" Brady Attaway!
FootballTex
It still early, but here is my current take:

The QB job is Sawyer's to lose. Conque needs to win now. He likes Foster's arm, leadership and he is a Senior. The question will be can survive with limited mobility and an average O Line. Fingers crossed that the O Line play improves as the season will likely go as they go no matter who plays QB.

Blumrick will be the #2 position. He knows the offense, has the most time on the field and really manages the game well. He just needs playmakers around him as he can't carry an offense alone.

Smith comes in #3. He has the best overall skill set of the QB's in camp now. He needs to bulk up and settle in, so that likely makes him the QB of the future.

Covey will sit at #4 and will come in for specialty run plays. He is a tough, gritty player that does not mind putting his body in harms way. Conque likes the toughness and will promote him in order to motivate the other QB's. But the bottom line is that the arm talent is not there. Decent arm strength but he does not get the ball out on time with any consistency. He and Truelove have very similar skill sets. Both great kids but not D1 QB's.

Have not seen Cam Arnold live yet so the jury is still out there. I just don't see Conque taking a chance on a Freshmen QB in such a critical year.

SFAJack_76
lmbalum08 said:

Explain to me why Josh Covey has such a huge upside? Because Tom Herman said so? you know who else had a huge "upside" Brady Attaway!
Wait, so Tom Herman said Brady Attaway had a huge upside? Who knew.
Jacks4460
Covey is a winner... He won at Georgetown and was smart and humble enough to know he wouldn't ever lead a team at UT.. Afrer watching Blumbrick and Smith last year I can tell you if either one of those guys are our starting QB then we are in trouble...
BigJack85
Footballtex. Your analysis looks dead on. I'm in agreement with you as of today. By the time the season starts I expect Covey will be a clear #2 or part of a "2A" and "2B" options. Essentially two backups that are roughly equal overall but have different situational advantages (for example a scenario that callls for a quarterback that can run).
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.