Spring Practice 2018

14,990 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
SFASawmillGuy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
From watching Sam in practice he had a ton of potential at WR. He had speed and could run routes with literally the best of them. Think Aaron Thomas route running. But he had awful hands and they just never improved. I assume the transition from offense to defense was too difficult for him as well.

Losing Choka hurts, but I think he's replaceable. He would have just added depth to the LB position, but he was never a superstar.

I really don't blame Zach Smith for leaving regardless of the circumstances surrounding his departure. You obviously want to see a kid compete through adversity but this kid wants to play now, not later. And had he stayed there's no guarantee he'd ever see the field anyway.

Kam Session I'm indifferent about. He was nothing special and, as 4460 said, we have a lot of depth at RB this season.
FootballTex
SFA_03 said:

From watching Sam in practice he had a ton of potential at WR. He had speed and could run routes with literally the best of them. Think Aaron Thomas route running. But he had awful hands and they just never improved. I assume the transition from offense to defense was too difficult for him as well.

Losing Choka hurts, but I think he's replaceable. He would have just added depth to the LB position, but he was never a superstar.

I really don't blame Zach Smith for leaving regardless of the circumstances surrounding his departure. You obviously want to see a kid compete through adversity but this kid wants to play now, not later. And had he stayed there's no guarantee he'd ever see the field anyway.

Kam Session I'm indifferent about. He was nothing special and, as 4460 said, we have a lot of depth at RB this season.

I can certainly see the perception on these departures but the fact pattern really does not support many of the statements.

Sam played DB in HS and could have been recruited to play the position. He played D line too. Heck of an athlete. I would agree that he was inconsistent at WR but I don't think moving to Safety was a stretch for him.

I think a lot of these players are moving on because they don't think Conque has the players best interest in mind.

They only have a limited number of years of eligibility and if the Coach is only in it for the Coach, then they have to do what is in their best interest to play.

Smith likely made his mind up to leave the day Conque burned his redshirt for one play when Blumrick got his helmet knocked off. Given there was a walk-on QB available to take one snap.

These departures don't seem to have anything to do with competition or other false rumors.

These guys don't trust Conque with their future and maybe they are spot on.

Conque's back is against the wall this year and the players sense it.

Unfortunately, there are more players leaving that have not made the thread yet.
Jacks4460
FootballTex said:

SFA_03 said:

I can certainly see the perception on these departures but the fact pattern really does not support many of the statements.

Sam played DB in HS and could have been recruited to play the position. He played D line too. Heck of an athlete. I would agree that he was inconsistent at WR but I don't think moving to Safety was a stretch for him.

I think a lot of these players are moving on because they don't think Conque has the players best interest in mind.

They only have a limited number of years of eligibility and if the Coach is only in it for the Coach, then they have to do what is in their best interest to play.

Smith likely made his mind up to leave the day Conque burned his redshirt for one play when Blumrick got his helmet knocked off. Given there was a walk-on QB available to take one snap.

These departures don't seem to have anything to do with competition or other false rumors.

These guys don't trust Conque with their future and maybe they are spot on.

Conque's back is against the wall this year and the players sense it.

Unfortunately, there are more players leaving that have not made the thread yet.
Nice post FootballTex.. Being the son of a THSC and a former Lumberjack player I can totally relate to this. Once you loose confidence in your coach or you think your coach doesnt have your best interest at heart then you dont want to play for him anymore. I wonder why Conque burned the kids RS for one play.. That is a huge mistake on Conque part.. Boy my dad would of had Conque's ass for that if Smith was his son.. Thats just Conque having his head up his ass.. Hate to hear more players are leaving..
SFAXE93
Roster is updated.

#25 RB Oglesby a sophomore?

https://sfajacks.com/roster.aspx?path=football
SFAXE93
Gone

OL:#78 Jimmy Price 6-4; 295 (So.) ** #24 OT (Lone Star)

Jacks4460
SFAXE93 said:

Roster is updated.

Yes sir... I pray our O-line can just stalemate the other teams D-Line for a couple seconds because this kid will blow by them if given any type of room.. He will be one of the more talented players in the conference. I am so happy they have him on campus.. This gets me excited..
SFAJack_76
Jacks4460 said:

SFAXE93 said:

Roster is updated.

Yes sir... I pray our O-line can just stalemate the other teams D-Line for a couple seconds because this kid will blow by them if given any type of room.. He will be one of the more talented players in the conference. I am so happy they have him on campus.. This gets me excited..
Very glad to hear that he made it in. For his sake, I hope that he makes the most of this opportunity. Not everyone gets that chance.
Jacks4460
SFAJack_76 said:

Jacks4460 said:

SFAXE93 said:

Roster is updated.

Very glad to hear that he made it in. For his sake, I hope that he makes the most of this opportunity. Not everyone gets that chance.
Yes sir 76 this kid has been blessed by the man upstairs with an opportunity to get a college education and possibility of NFL employment courtesy of SFA.. I hope he does well... It would be a great story for him to really explode on the SLC scene this year..
SFAXE93
More new additions to the team, not yet listed on the roster though.

More depth

TE: Donte Coleman 6-4; 235 Mesquite, Texas (West Mesquite/Fresno State) *** #37 TE; #99 Texas (So.)
Offers from Fresno State, Nebraska, Arizona State, Boise State, California, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Nevada, Oklahoma State, Rice, SMU, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, Washington, Illinois, Wisconsin, Nevada

OL: Chett Munden 6-6; 305 Marshall, Texas (Marshall/North Texas) *** #149 T (ESPN) (Jr.)

OL: Jerrod Johnson 6-3; 300 Lufkin, Texas (Lufkin/Tyler J.C.) ** #153 G (247sports) (Jr.)
Offer from Louisiana-Monroe, interest from Texas

DB: Chris James 5-11; 195 Orange, Texas (West Orange-Stark/Illinois) ** #161 S (Sr.) Grad. Transfer
Offers from Illinois, Iowa State, McNeese State, interest from TCU, Texas A&M

G:31;TKL:43;TFL:1.5;SCK:0.5;PD:5 (Started 6 games)

SFAJack_76
Nice. Sure can't blame lack of depth this year.
Jacks4460
Man this is some positive news...
SFAXE93
Good news, Foster Sawyer just tweeted out that he has been cleared to play.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93 said:

TE: Donte Coleman 6-4; 235 Mesquite, Texas (West Mesquite/Fresno State) *** #44 TE; #106 Texas (So.)
Offers from Fresno State, Nebraska, Arizona State, Boise State, California, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Nevada, Oklahoma State, Rice, SMU, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, Washington

I'm interested in Coleman's story and how he has landed here. Homesick for Texas, perhaps? That's an impressive bunch of offers he got coming out of high school.
SFAJack_76
edstile said:

SFAXE93 said:

The

TE: Donte Coleman 6-4; 235 Mesquite, Texas (West Mesquite/Fresno State) *** #44 TE; #106 Texas (So.)
Offers from Fresno State, Nebraska, Arizona State, Boise State, California, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Nevada, Oklahoma State, Rice, SMU, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, Washington

I'm interested in Coleman's story and how he has landed here. Homesick for Texas, perhaps? That's an impressive bunch of offers he got coming out of high school.
Maybe a better question is, how did he end up at Fresno State with that offer list?
SFAXE93
17 offers, I left out Illinois, Wisconsin, and Nevada
TallTexan
My guess would either be grades or early offers were non-committable & he didn't maintain upward momentum in senior season. Most of them outside Fresno are large flagship schools, which I would assume have higher academic standards.

That said, I can totally see why one would want to leave Fresno & come back to Texas.
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
another transfer

DB: Ricky Rollerson 6-1; 175 Grand Prairie, Texas (Bishop Dunne/Illinois State) **
Offers from Illinois State, SFA, Air Force, Arkansas Tech, Central Arkansas, Lamar, North Texas, Missouri State

Bishop Dunne HS: Two-year starter for head coach MIchael Johnson ... earned first team all-district honors as a senior while helping his team to the state title game ... earned second-team all-district honors as a junior ... helped team advance to the second round of the playoffs that season.

Personal: Born June 1, 1999, in Dallas ... son of Rick and Cynthia Rollerson ... youngest of four siblings.

SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93 said:

another transfer

DB: Ricky Rollerson 6-1; 175 Grand Prairie, Texas (Bishop Dunne/Illinois State) **
Offers from Illinois State, SFA, Air Force, Arkansas Tech, Central Arkansas, Lamar, North Texas, Missouri State

Bishop Dunne HS: Two-year starter for head coach MIchael Johnson ... earned first team all-district honors as a senior while helping his team to the state title game ... earned second-team all-district honors as a junior ... helped team advance to the second round of the playoffs that season.

Personal: Born June 1, 1999, in Dallas ... son of Rick and Cynthia Rollerson ... youngest of four siblings.

Was he redshirted at Illinois State? Eligible immediately?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.