New Head FB Coach search

22,340 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Jacks4460
cboothe09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Weak? The Southland had three playoff teams (two of which were national seeds), and arguably a fourth team that was snubbed (McNeese).
SFASawmillGuy
And look what happened in the playoffs. Nicholls and UCA got beat in the opening rounds and Sam, once again, got lucky draws until they finally played NDSU and got absolutely exposed. The SLC is a very weak football conference. Has been for a while.

Every year theres one or two teams who could be argued are any good or not, but they usually get destroyed in the playoffs.
SFASawmillGuy
The only redeeming quality of SLC football has been the fact that Sam Houston continually gets really lucky in their playoff matchups until they play a REAL contender who deserves to be there.
CLHawkins
I am pretty much sold on giving Conque another year, but if they have another disappointing year I think it is time to move on. One guy I would be interested in looking into as the next HC would be Colby Carthel. He's the current HC at Texas A&M Commerce who just won the Division II National Championship. The two seasons before he started there they went 1-9. Pretty cool to see the success he has been able to achieve in the short time he has been there.
Fly on the Wall
Crowton is relieved of his duties as OC. Team will wait until after National Signing Day to announce a replacement
Fly on the Wall
Home game with Tarleton State will replace Southern Utah on the schedule.
PurpleOut
Staff
jesus
TallTexan
Fly on the Wall said:

Maybe Baker can invite the Tarleton prez to his house & get some tips on growing enrollment/strategic initiatives.
BigJack85
We could just hire him. Lol.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

We could just hire him. Lol.
Touche.
Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

Fly on the Wall said:

Maybe Baker can invite the Tarleton prez to his house & get some tips on growing enrollment/strategic initiatives.
Got to work around Dr.Dottavio and he is unbelievable... That place is growing leaps and bounds. They have a 20K for 2020 plan.. 20K undergrads. The housing is there and Mr. Myers just put 5 mil in their stadium. God bless him. Do we have wealthier alumni that would pony up that type of cash if they saw our Football program going in the right direction? Hope our Ath. department tries to get that fee put on students bills, that would help us build a football complex so that we could give a coach the tools he needs to recruit the studs we are wanting. The football offices are the same ones from when I played 30 years ago..
TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

Got to work around Dr.Dottavio and he is unbelievable... That place is growing leaps and bounds. They have a 20K for 2020 plan.. 20K undergrads. The housing is there and Mr. Myers just put 5 mil in their stadium. God bless him. Do we have wealthier alumni that would pony up that type of cash if they saw our Football program going in the right direction? Hope our Ath. department tries to get that fee put on students bills, that would help us build a football complex so that we could give a coach the tools he needs to recruit the studs we are wanting. The football offices are the same ones from when I played 30 years ago..
20k? We're getting passed up by everyone. Not that we should grow only for growth's sake, but when our Admin has had a plan to increase enrollment since 2008 atleast, & we're still at the same number, it doesn't look good.

As my Dad(class of 87) pointed out the other day when we were on campus, "if we still have basically the same number of students as we did back then, what are all the new buildings for?"
BigJack85
We desperately need the new facilities to offset our location disadvantage. We've been battling it for years Frankly most of A&M's and Sammie's growth has come at our expense. I can tell you first hand (I do business with SFA) our IT platforms need updates and our web page still needs development at the college level. $$$$ We need money to renovate or update east college (14, 16 and east college cafeteria). I think we should demo the whole thing and put a single structure that houses a dorm and cafeteria in one place. The list goes on. We've been starved of cash by the legislature. Lucky to get the funds for the STEM building. That (STEM Bldg) could be a turning point. We already have 50+ students enrolled in the Engineering Physics program.
Rodray
We cant even afford to fire Conque, why does everyone think he's doing an ok job. Are any of you going to all the games and watching the players reaction and their general disappointment in their coaches? Conque needs to be fired, OL coach, DC and LB coach.
Rodray
You sir have no idea what your talking about. The O Line was horrible. When a different lineman is coming back to the huddle after every play apologizing for missing his block you have a problem. When your QB has to scramble every play because he's being pursued from all sides you have a problem. Please tell me what position you played at a D1 level.
Jacks4460
What type of money does Clint make and when is his contract up?
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

We desperately need the new facilities to offset our location disadvantage. We've been battling it for years Frankly most of A&M's and Sammie's growth has come at our expense. I can tell you first hand (I do business with SFA) our IT platforms need updates and our web page still needs development at the college level. $$$$ We need money to renovate or update east college (14, 16 and east college cafeteria). I think we should demo the whole thing and put a single structure that houses a dorm and cafeteria in one place. The list goes on. We've been starved of cash by the legislature. Lucky to get the funds for the STEM building. That (STEM Bldg) could be a turning point. We already have 50+ students enrolled in the Engineering Physics program.
I don't disagree that we need a lot of updates, just thought that all the building without accomplishing the enrollment goal which justifies it was ironic.

Totally agree on East College, I actually told my wife the exact same thing the other day about the combined dorm/cafeteria idea.

Speaking of getting starved by the legislature, I did a quick search the other day, & I can't find many state legislators who are SFA grads. I didn't look at everyone but we really need more representation in there. Otherwise we are really going to have to look at joining a University System.

And totally agree on the STEM building & its programs. We need to focus on degrees that get kids job ready for the high paying jobs of the future. Engineering Physics is one of those.

Thing that bothers me the most in regards to current SFA leadership is how much potential SFA has. We've got the best fans, the best atmosphere. We should be able to improve our academics & enrollment at the same time with the state growing so fast, but our leadership has gone stale.
Jacks4460
Bigjack I feel the same as you the STEM building may be our saving grace..Thank you Cole family..
PurpleOut
Staff
SFASawmillGuy

Austin Peay coach Will Healy is currently packing his bags and renting a U-Haul to Nacogdoches....
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA_03 said:

Austin Peay coach Will Healy is currently packing his bags and renting a U-Haul to Nacogdoches....
False start. Jumping the gun a bit, aren't we??
BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

Maybe this will force the issue and we'll get back on track in football. We should be competitive!
beaubrad46
This sort of thing destroys team morale and puts us at least a month behind everyone else. What did you do this time Clint? The fact that his house is for sale might also indicate family problems. There goes what little optimism that I had for this season.
BigJack85
I'm going to shift to "Glass half Full" mode and say that maybe,,, just maybe Clint was part of the under performance. Maybe a fresh face and new approach will turn this thing around and we will surprise everyone.

TallTexan
I like your thinking BigJack, after all, we've got the same players & transfers that we were excited about just 24 hours ago.

Time for Coach Moses to lead the Jacks to the promised land!
beaubrad46
I cannot see why it would take that long to do an investigation. If he broke university rules then he should be fired and there shouldn't have to be a buy out. Fire the man as soon as you can if he's guilty. It seems as though all we've gotten since he has been here is bad news except for that first season. He hasn't been able to bring in impact players at least up until now. I edited this post in order to tone down my angst. Shuckins!
SFASawmillGuy
beaubrad46 said:

I cannot see why it would take that long to do an investigation. If he broke university rules then he should be fired and there shouldn't have to be a buy out. Fire the man as soon as you can. He's been bad news far too long. I've had it with Conque.

It may be just allegations at this point and they want to confirm them before they make any decisions.
Still I would have kept this quiet if there was a chance he keeps his job.
SFASawmillGuy
While he may not be too popular amongst this forum Clint is generally well liked and is still one of the winningest coaches in SLC history. You need to have a good reason to put someone out a couple of months before the season.
TallTexan
Yep. Plus, we don't have an AD on campus for 2 weeks & schools like to keep these types of processes buttoned up as much as possible.

As much as we don't ever want to be in this position, we definitely don't want to be in the position of being on the wrong end of a lawsuit because we tried to rush the process.
beaubrad46
For them to release the story is pretty indicative of something pretty serious. I don't wish him harm but it just hasn't worked. We shall see but it is possible that we will never know what this is really about. I am pretty curious about him putting his home up for sale. That makes me wonder if he isn't all that optimistic about the season. I hope that my fears don't become reality. I guess there has to be a process that they have to abide by but Dadgummit! I'm ready for some good news. I do remember that Kellog was under a university investigation but I don't think that they suspended them and I don't think that they ever told us how they dealt with him over the issue.
TallTexan
Jeff Byrd announced as interim per SFAJacks.com
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

Jeff Byrd announced as interim per SFAJacks.com

I won't believe it until I read it from a reliable source. Like the sawmill.
cboothe09
lol
Jacks4460
The more I think about it the more I realize our new coach is gonna be Colby Carthel... Ryan Ivey has already had a working relationship with him with success. Unless Byrd goes undefeated or makes a deep run in the playoffs then you can bank on this hire of Carthel.. Which he is a very good coach and leader...
TallTexan
Knows East Texas, is a winner, we could definitely do worse. I would be ok with that hire.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.