Football Attendance

6,109 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TallTexan
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just did a quick run of our attendance vs. Sammie. Thru our 5 home games: 11374 average. Sammie thru 5 home games (they have one left at home vs HBU) 7849. I doubt they get more than 5000 to the HBU game based on the last couple games. So even though we suck we are averaging 3000 - 4000 more a game. It's been a while since I've been to Huntsville for a game but the crowd I witnessed (10 years ago) was very small (like 4000).
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
PurpleOut
Staff
Not that our fans are great, but there's suck. For how good they actually are, and the post season success they've had. We'd have amazing crowds with success like that.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Not that our fans are great, but there's suck. For how good they actually are, and the post season success they've had. We'd have amazing crowds with success like that.

That is promising, especially considering we have 7k fewer students. Good attendance numbers in two main sports are important if a bigger conference comes calling.

My brother went to Sam & Aunt works there. They have been wanting to explore moving to FBS, but I think you have to average 15k attendance for that. I'm not sure they'll hit that anytime soon.
BigJack85
I think our stadium set up hinders us also...... If we had a more intimate environment (no track) we would have a better game day experience. I also think moving tailgating closer was a mistake, plenty of opinions on that but I just think it diminishes the experience (in the stadium) when you have 1200 frat/sorority folks still in front of the ag pond. BTW I was a frat guy so yes I'm dishing on them.....
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
drhuggybear
Not to mention there are probably 200-300 that don't come into the game because they are sitting comfortably outside at their tailgate.

That doesn't sound much but put them behind the visiting team in the purple haze section and it gets that much louder.
SFA Jack Fanatic
drhuggybear said:

Not to mention there are probably 200-300 that don't come into the game because they are sitting comfortably outside at their tailgate.

That doesn't sound much but put them behind the visiting team in the purple haze section and it gets that much louder.
200-300? Based on the games I've attended, you're underestimating....
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

I think our stadium set up hinders us also...... If we had a more intimate environment (no track) we would have a better game day experience. I also think moving tailgating closer was a mistake, plenty of opinions on that but I just think it diminishes the experience (in the stadium) when you have 1200 frat/sorority folks still in front of the ag pond. BTW I was a frat guy so yes I'm dishing on them...
Can a soccer field fit inside a standard track? I'd love to move the track to a soccer/track joint stadium

I'd love to see us move it and bring one of the side of the stadium in to put the crowd closer to the field. Not Oklahoma State close, but closer. Then again, this connects to the fundraising challenges we've mentioned on other threads. I don't see that happening soon.
SFASawmillGuy
When tailgate was far from the stadium though attendance was awful. It actually did help attendance a lot when the 1500-3000 students were right there where they could just walk in. But remember the conference championship seasons when we still had horrible attendance late in the season because everyone stayed at tailgate?

I have spoken with several people in the athletic department and close to the football team who have told me that if the athletic fee would've passed there was a plan to remove the track from the football field. A several year plan was in place to massively renovate and improve Homer Bryce stadium to make it a premiere FCS stadium.

Important to note that after the win over West Virginia in basketball, many people in the athletic department were talking about the importance of us getting a real football stadium so we could go to an FBS conference. Not that anyone expects us to be successful at the FBS level but because being in a bigger conference means more money, more television exposure, better recruits, and better quality in home games.

Of course once the athletic fee was shot down, a lot of those plans were put on indefinite hold.
Jacks4460
When can they try again to pass the athletic fee? Can you point me to the thread where it talks about fundraising being a problem? thanks and love this site.. After watching TSU grow I always wondered why SFASU isnt growing.
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

t if the athletic fee would've passed there was a plan to remove the track from the football field. A several year plan was in place to massively renovate and improve Homer Bryce stadium to make it a premiere FCS stadium.

Important to note that after the win over West Virginia in basketball, many people in the athletic department were talking about the importance of us getting a real football stadium so we could go to an FBS conference. Not that anyone expects us to be successful at the FBS level but because being in a bigger conference means more money, more television exposure, better recruits, and better quality in home games.

Of course once the athletic fee was shot down, a lot of those plans were put on indefinite hold.
Wow, never knew that was potentially in the plans. It would really up the home-field advantage to be closer to the field & give it a much nicer look.
SFAXE93
We have actually improved the last two years.

FCS Attendance Rankings (Lead the SLC the last two seasons)
2017 #21 (11,376)

2016 #29 (9,848)

"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
SFASawmillGuy
No doubt this past season was phenomenal for attendance. I hope the trend continues with out athletics and our fan support continues to grow.
Maybe one of the biggest steps towards putting SFA back in a nationally prominent position in football is actually having that home field advantage.
TallTexan
Here's the official doc for those that are interested:

2017 NCAA Attendance

Top 25 in FCS attendance & number 1 in the Southland with a 15% increase since 2016.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.