Old Lumberjack Memories

3,791 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TheRevSFA
W1964
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Old Lumberjack fans will remember the once fierce rivalry we had with Georgia Southern. Years ago we played them for the National Championship in Statesboro Ga in what was the most vicious treatment BY the FANS we had ever experienced. Their fans pelted the Jacks and fans with pennies that seemed as though were fired from a gun. They threw whiskey bottles at our coach's wife. It was not a safe environment to say the least.

I read this AM that GA SO has just fired their coach after starting the season 0-6! They are not enjoying their transition to BCS like they thought. I cannot help but find a little humor in their plight.

The Northern Iowa fans were not much better back then.

nacluth
I was just a little too young to make the trip though one of my good friends was the statistician for the team and he tells a similar story. That was pre-Notre Dame tip-ins, but that game was the true "what might have been."
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFA Jack Fanatic
W1964 said:

Old Lumberjack fans will remember the once fierce rivalry we had with Georgia Southern. Years ago we played them for the National Championship in Statesboro Ga in what was the most vicious treatment BY the FANS we had ever experienced. Their fans pelted the Jacks and fans with pennies that seemed as though were fired from a gun. They threw whiskey bottles at our coach's wife. It was not a safe environment to say the least.

I read this AM that GA SO has just fired their coach after starting the season 0-6! They are not enjoying their transition to BCS like they thought. I cannot help but find a little humor in their plight.

The Northern Iowa fans were not much better back then.

I was at that game and did not experience any of that. Guess I was in the right spot.
TheRevSFA
nacluth said:

I was just a little too young to make the trip though one of my good friends was the statistician for the team and he tells a similar story. That was pre-Notre Dame tip-ins, but that game was the true "what might have been."

Seeing as how we had to vacate our natty champ appearance I don't think I'd want to have to deal with the "what might have been" with having a championship rescinded
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.