GAME THREAD: 92nd Battle of the Piney Woods

79,712 Views | 139 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TheRevSFA
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've always thought it means a lot when kids get to play on a pro field. Of course I enjoy it more when it's during halftime of a real game.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
drhuggybear
Not sure if the refs are blinded by the orange uniforms or not but they are missing a lot of holding calls.
SFA Jack Fanatic
The offensive line looks just as bad as it did last year.
nacluth
I just got a text: "Don't worry. Traffic was bad. Van with O Line will be there around halftime."

Ok we just have to hold on until then and our offense will look better in the second.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
BigJack85
We have been consistently outclassed by the better SLC teams for 3 years.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
drhuggybear
Now I am a little biased but it looks like the SFA player did hit the SH player but it looks like he was pushed into the SH player.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

I just got a text: "Don't worry. Traffic was bad. Van with O Line will be there around halftime."

Ok we just have to hold on until then and our offense will look better in the second.
That damned Houston traffic!
drhuggybear
Well we didn't get shutout. First positive of the day.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Does Alize Ward have a twin brother anywhere? Heck, I'll take a twin sister!
nacluth
Our kicker has been pretty solid this year!

I'm pretty sure we're going to get them the drop on them soon. We're wearing them out with swing/screen passes, and we they least expect it, we'll run another one for a big play.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
drhuggybear
Jake is showing how tough he is. He is taking a beating. Getting up slow but he is just hitting it head on.
SFA Jack Fanatic
There's life in that cadaver.
SFAXE93
wow 10-17 actually hanging around
SFAXE93
13-17 are the Jacks starting to believe?
SFASawmillGuy
Clint really, really wants his job.
nacluth
Not bad Jacks. The defense has been pretty solid after the first drive. We'll see how that halftime speech by JJ Watt gets them pumped up.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
TallTexan
20-13. Not bad.
SFASawmillGuy
And we get the ball out of the locker room!
drhuggybear
54 should be out of the game. That was helmet to helmet.
drhuggybear
Amazing goal line stand. The offense needs to do something this time.
TallTexan
For having such tall WRs,we ought to be able to complete a few passes.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Defense playing their hearts out.......we would be dangerous if we had any offense at all.....

Like most I had this game written off before it started and after the 1st quarter but must say I'm really proud of the effort on defense
SFASawmillGuy
Jake is playing his ass off. Too many key drops have hurt us.
drhuggybear
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Defense playing their hearts out.......we would be dangerous if we had any offense at all.....

+1000
drhuggybear
How many drops have we had? That is killing us .
BigJack85
Good effort. That's positive. We'll see if we improve or continue to be up and down.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Pretty good performance. Jacks hung with a more talented team.
TallTexan
That turned out way better than I expected. Team fought hard. Sam gave us a lot of help though(the cheap shots notwithstanding).

Good showing but I'm afraid this team is still as bad as we think.
BigJack85
I agree that this team just lacks in so many ways. It's hard to believe it's been 6 or 7 years of futility against Sam. Just horrible. Conque has done little to instill confidence
SFASawmillGuy
I think our defense matched up well with Sam in the sense that we can simply overpower their offense. UCA however is a more complete offense I feel, and I expect they'll have an easier time with us.

Offensively, Jake may be a good QB eventually. He did show a lot of poise and did have some good throws despite probably not being able to see straight from all those shots he took. Fortunately, he's a sophomore, and he has time to grow and experience now.

I think the future does look bright for us despite all that's happened. Before anyone complains, injuries and inexperience is an excuse at this point in the season for us, and we're seeing some scrappy young men. I think if these guys continue to grow, we might be dangerous next year.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

I agree that this team just lacks in so many ways. It's hard to believe it's been 6 or 7 years of futility against Sam. Just horrible. Conque has done little to instill confidence

Isaac said on twitter that Conque needs a year 5. I'm not sure i agree. Every coach needs 4 years, but we haven't had a good year yet IMO under conque. Year 1 wasnt bad, but we're trending down.

We've got some talent, but it's not translating to good wins. I'm not sure I can say Conque recruits better than say a Jeff Traylor, Graham Harrell, or other alternative would.
TallTexan
I thought our Dline matched up well. Lots of open completions in the secondary though i thought.
BigJack85
03 I think you are correct that we have some "scrappy" players and we might be "dangerous" next year. The problem is that this is year 5. I expected us to be dangerous in year three. By year 5 I expected to be challenging Sammie for a title. None of the above seems likely with Conque at the helm. Is it possible? Emphatically yes. Is it likely? If the past 4 years are any guide the odds of us being a winning SLC and competitive squad are about 1/4. If your ok with that give him another year. By all means.
Ljacks&Longnecks
I feel like the defense has improved quite a bit since the first 2 games...yes they still seem to play off the receivers too much but they are keeping us in the game at this point with no help from the offense.
I understand that Blumrick is young and still lightly experienced and got banged around a lot today but where are the running backs and receivers. All the RBs and WRs bring numbers with them from high school and/or transferred from D1 but we are not seeing this potential translate on the field. The RBs don't run North/South, they spend too much time hesitating or going East/west. Is it the OC...the OL...the coaching?? Right now this offense is painful to watch.
SFASawmillGuy
I just want to finally see a year where injuries doesn't have to be an excuse. I'm tired of that excuse too but I can't deny that it's a very real excuse and it does make a difference in our team's output.
Clint proved he was a good coach at UCA. Hell he turned them into a decent D2 team into a D1 contender during his tenure there and almost never had down years.
Idk why SFA is so different for him but I do believe he is a good coach.
My concern is that if we let him go, we are literally going to start from scratch again.
If we did let him go I think Shannon Dawson's offense back in Nac along with Byrd's defense would be a scary combo.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.