WEEK 6: NORTHWESTERN STATE

420 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by TallTexan
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?

(RV) STEPHEN F. AUSTIN STATE (2-2; 0-1) VS. NORTHWESTERN STATE (0-5; 0-0)

WHEN: Oct. 5 (SAT.) 7:00 P.M.
WHERE: Homer Bryce Stadium (Nacogdoches, Texas)
TV: ESPN+
The Battle for the Big Pine Log in the Sabine River Rivalry

SERIES HISTORY

FOOTBALL HISTORY VS NORTHWESTERN STATE UNIVERSITY FROM NOVEMBER 7, 1924 - SEPTEMBER 16, 2023

WINS: 26
LOSSES: 41
TIES: 3

Home Record: 13-19-1
Streak: 2-Wins

It's Rivalry weekend in the Pineywoods of East Texas, as the Demons of Northwestern State make their way to Home Bryce Stadium to battle the Lumberjacks for the Big Pine Log.

It's been 6 long years since Northwestern State has travelled to Homer Bryce Stadium to play the Jacks, a trip that they won in Nacogdoches 35-23 in 2018.

SFA on the other hand has enjoyed the last two meetings between the two schools 41-7 in 2023 and 32-20 in 2019 both road trips to Natchitoches at Turpin Stadium, making the away team the victor in the last 3 meetings of the series.

After going 0-6 in 2023 Northwestern State cancelled the remainder of their season after the tragic death of safety Ronnie Caldwell Jr.

In rebuilding mode the Demons have not won a game since Nov. 5, 2022 in Commerce against TAMUC and are currently in a 13-game losing streak.

First year head coach Blaine McCorkie has taken on the task to try and lead Northwestern State back to the success they enjoyed in years past. McCorkie gained recognition for his job at division III school Belhaven in Mississippi, where in 5 seasons McCorkie took a 2-8 program with 7-straight losing seasons to a 9-1 record in 2023 (only loss was in OT), a South Athletic Conference Championship, and a trip to the playoffs, something that had never happened before in school history.

The offense is lead by redshirt freshman QB #14 JT Fayard 6-5; 220 out of Katy, Texas (Foster High) who has completed 43 passes for 481 yards and 2 TDs with 3 INTs. Also seeing time under center senior QB #8 Quaterius Hawkins 6-0; 188 out of Bastrop, Louisiana (Bastrop High) a more of a duel threat at quarterback with 11 pass completions for 113 yards and a TD, 1 INT also 41 yards rushing on 16 carries.

Most of the passes are directed toward speedy slot receivers in Junior #3 Myles Kitt-Denton 5-11; 190 out of Pearland, Texas (Dawson) and senior #1 Twon Hines 6-0; 185 from Dayton, Ohio (Northridge High) who have combined for 345 yards and 3 TD's on 22 catches.

Junior RB #2 Kennieth Lacy 5-9; 195 out of Kilgore, Texas (Kilgore High) leads the team in rushing with 187 yards on 38 carries (5.0 Average) and 2 TD's.

The offense averages 13.8 points a game 83 yards rushing and 120 yards passing.

The Demon's strength is in their defense, featuring junior LB #5 Blake Gotcher 6-1; 225 out of Little Elm, Texas (Lone Star) who leads the team in tackles (65) TFL (6.0) and sacks (4.0) also has a FF, and QBH for the season.

Unfortunately for NSU with the offense struggling to sustain drives, the defense stays out on the field way too long, tiring out quickly, and on the season they are giving up almost 50 points a game 232 yards rushing, and 280 yards passing.

As any coach of a rivalry will tell you, you can throw out all the records for this one, a good ole getting down in the dirt, chomping at the bit rivalry, against two schools that don't like each other very much, so get loud and proud and bring the wood, when these two schools on opposite sides of a river come to clash for the Big Pine Log in the Sabine River Rivalry.

Axe'Em

SFAXE93
Ljacks&Longnecks
Northwestern St is not good, completely rebuilding. Should be in the win column.

Schedule much tougher rest of the way. Hope injuries have healed and the aggressive attitude remains throughout the remaining 8 games.
BigJack85
Defense shows up and shows out. Our D-Line dominance continues.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAXE93
I hope we see Jermaine Brown back at LB.
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
TallTexan
So it's a giant log with the logos on it?

Or is it going to be carved down more & I'm just missing that?

I'm fine with retiring Chief Caddo after the Caddo nation asked us to,.
65tosspowertrap
SFAXE93 said:

(Know I'm gonna catch hell for this, but I just can't help myself)

So, now we are essentially playing for the right to have a big stick? And where is that giant cigar store indian and how can I get him? Just bought a new humidor and he'd look great in the game room/cigar lounge...

Signed,
Irritating in Dripping Springs

SFAXE93
I think he is the field house, a full SFA Alumni by now.
BigJack85
65tosspowertrap said:

SFAXE93 said:

(Know I'm gonna catch hell for this, but I just can't help myself)

So, now we are essentially playing for the right to have a big stick? And where is that giant cigar store indian and how can I get him? Just bought a new humidor and he'd look great in the game room/cigar lounge...

Signed,
Irritating in Dripping Springs

I know I'm in the minority…. I'm fine with the stick.
Would have liked something attached to the Sabine River or Bigfoot. Could have had some interesting conversations about Bigfoot.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Ljacks&Longnecks
Story says the Caddo Nation will be adding a piece to "extend the original purpose of the trophy", which was synonymous with the rivalry for six decades.
I hope their addition is something interesting because the rest is quite blah.
TallTexan
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Story says the Caddo Nation will be adding a piece to "extend the original purpose of the trophy", which was synonymous with the rivalry for six decades.
I hope their addition is something interesting because the rest is quite blah.

Ya I don't love it. Feels like they realized last week they forgot to put together a trophy imo. Hence why the Caddo Nation piece hasn't been added yet either.

A giant log is still the biggest trophy in sports but it's going to go unnoticed on the sidelines.

I'd have preferred something more distinct. A 7 foot alligator gar carving? A giant foot for bigfoot? A caddaja, a mythical Caddo monster(with permission of course)? A black bear? A log carved into the animals that inhabit East Texas?

Chief Caddo was problematic but so distinct that it made for noticeable TV/Photos. I worry the current design won't.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.