WEEK 4: NORTHERN COLORADO

871 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 16 hrs ago by SFASawmillGuy
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?

STEPHEN F. AUSTIN STATE (1-2; 0-1) VS. UNIVERSITY OF NORTHERN COLORADO (0-3)

WHEN: Sept. 21 (SAT.) 7:00 P.M.
WHERE: Homer Bryce Stadium (Nacogdoches, Texas)
TV: ESPN+

SERIES HISTORY (First Meeting)

Next up for the Lumberjacks are the Bears of Northern Colorado out of the Big Sky Conference.

UNC has not had winning season since 2016 and they are currently riding a 15-game losing streak, having not won a game since Nov. 12, 2022. The last time the Bears won a game on the road was also back in 2022 at Lamar winning by a score of 21-14.

On Saturday at home UNC took on Abilene Christian where they surprised ACU with an effective ball control and strong showing on defense, going into the half 10-7. In the second half ACU looked to take control going up 21-10 with 8:42 left in the game, but UNC would not go away, scoring two late rushing TD's to retake the lead 22-21. It took the last play of the game and a 54-yard field goal by the Wildcats to win it 24-22.

Northern Colorado's starting QB #8 Peter Costelli 6-3; 220 went down last week against Colorado State with an injury in the second game of the season. Taking his place was 5th year senior QB #6 Jonah Chong 6-0; 190 out of Hawaii who this season has seen action in 3 games completing 5 passes for 18 yards and QB #18 Hank Gibbs a 6-6; 240 junior transfer from Univ. of Wyoming who completed 2 passes for 11 yards and a pick against ACU.

In Saturday's game UNC focused mainly on ball control with a run heavy time consuming offense that greatly shorten the game, rushing for 241 yards in total while scoring 3 TD's.
Junior RB #0 Darius Stewart 5-9; 190 lead the team with 132 rushing yards (avg 6.3)

Also, as a side note on offense for UNC, it will be a homecoming of sorts for OL #76 Jack Bacon 6-6; 305 who saw action as Lumberjack last season on the offensive line.

The defense is lead by sophomore DL #17 Marcus Howard 6-4; 262 who lead the team with 6 tackles, 2 for a loss, a QBH and a pass breakup against ACU.

As a team Northern Colorado averages 15-points a game while giving up 30, averaging 187 yards on the ground and 120 through the air. On the other side of the ball the defense gives up 186 yards per game rushing and 205 passing.

The Lumberjacks are hurting for a quailty and complete win, a finish they can be proud of, unfortunately it seems that the 2023 season has followed SFA into 2024, because when SFA takes the field to play, they are going up against not one, but two teams, their opponent, and themselves, and as of late themselves are getting the better of them.

Axe'Em
BigJack85
SFAXE93 said:

STEPHEN F. AUSTIN STATE (1-2; 0-1) VS. UNIVERSITY OF NORTHERN COLORADO (0-3)

WHEN: Sept. 21 (SAT.) 7:00 P.M.
WHERE: Homer Bryce Stadium (Nacogdoches, Texas)
TV: ESPN+

SERIES HISTORY (First Meeting)

Next up for the Lumberjacks are the Bears of Northern Colorado out of the Big Sky Conference.

UNC has not had winning season since 2016 and they are currently riding a 15-game losing streak, having not won a game since Nov. 12, 2022. The last time the Bears won a game on the road was also back in 2022 at Lamar winning by a score of 21-14.

On Saturday at home UNC took on Abilene Christian where they surprised ACU with an effective ball control and strong showing on defense, going into the half 10-7. In the second half ACU looked to take control going up 21-10 with 8:42 left in the game, but UNC would not go away, scoring two late rushing TD's to retake the lead 22-21. It took the last play of the game and a 54-yard field goal by the Wildcats to win it 24-22.

Northern Colorado's starting QB #8 Peter Costelli 6-3; 220 went down last week against Colorado State with an injury in the second game of the season. Taking his place was 5th year senior QB #6 Jonah Chong 6-0; 190 out of Hawaii who this season has seen action in 3 games completing 5 passes for 18 yards and QB #18 Hank Gibbs a 6-6; 240 junior transfer from Univ. of Wyoming who completed 2 passes for 11 yards and a pick against ACU.

In Saturday's game UNC focused mainly on ball control with a run heavy time consuming offense that greatly shorten the game, rushing for 241 yards in total while scoring 3 TD's.
Junior RB #0 Darius Stewart 5-9; 190 lead the team with 132 rushing yards (avg 6.3)

Also, as a side note on offense for UNC, it will be a homecoming of sorts for OL #76 Jack Bacon 6-6; 305 who saw action as Lumberjack last season on the offensive line.

The defense is lead by sophomore DL #17 Marcus Howard 6-4; 262 who lead the team with 6 tackles, 2 for a loss, a QBH and a pass breakup against ACU.

As a team Northern Colorado averages 15-points a game while giving up 30, averaging 187 yards on the ground and 120 through the air. On the other side of the ball the defense gives up 186 yards per game rushing and 205 passing.

The Lumberjacks are hurting for a quailty and complete win, a finish they can be proud of, unfortunately it seems that the 2023 season has followed SFA into 2024, because when SFA takes the field to play, they are going up against not one, but two teams, their opponent, and themselves, and as of late themselves are getting the better of them.

Axe'Em

Clock management. With Q Jones we should roll. That guy is a stud.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAXE93
He did start at Baylor because of it.
65tosspowertrap
Got my questions answered
"Just keep matriculatin' the ball down the field boys!" — Hank Stram

https://youtu.be/MnPr1R_QlTM
SFASawmillGuy
UNC is not a good team. But you're right, the only team that's beaten SFA this year so far has been SFA. I expect us to dominate them and move on.

I agree about letting Q Jones eat, but we need to be more complimentary in our playcalling too. In our drives where both Jones and Vidlak played off each other McNeese couldn't stop us. Vidlak has a really good arm and Jones takes 5-6 guys to bring down. But when everyone knows Jones is getting the ball they bring 5-6 guys to do it. We need to stay aggressive and diverse with our playcalling the entire game.

Defensively, we need to use the gameplan we used for the first 52 minutes of last week, not the final 8 minutes.

The season isn't lost in week 3, even though it felt like it Saturday night. Usually we talk about the players needing to develop, especially with so many new faces, but we need to see the coaching staff react and recover from this one. The players are where we want them to be at this stage.
BigJack85
Nailed it. We looked good offensively for most of the game. Let's get a win this week, so when I go up for the game October 5th we are 2-2.

This offense "could" be REALLY good with a little refinement. We've got a bevy of receivers with good hands Plenty of options to hand the ball off to. O-Line looks good.

Defense isn't the issue. DB coach has the guys play solid coverage. LB's are rock solid. Bobbi is a beast.

Coaching needs to adjust to the players. Plenty of upside.
SFAXE93
65tosspowertrap
SFAXE93 said:

They pull another snafu like last Saturday and they'll drop the prices to $2.50.

AxeEm99
65tosspowertrap said:

SFAXE93 said:

They pull another snafu like last Saturday and they'll drop the prices to $2.50.

Maybe not even $2.50. LOL!
I just listened to the coaches show on Q107. The tone was much different in my opinion than previous shows. No cliche phrases. I am hoping that he put the hammer down this weekend about what the expectations are going forward!! Northern Colorado is no joke. Hopefully we are at a true turning point now.
BigJack85
Lately… we seem to be in the same situation with a number of our sports, "This game is a MUST win".
MasterAxe2
My worst nightmare is that we are leading 27-14 in the 4th quarter and we have the ball with 6:00 remaining.
nacluth
$8 tickets for all home games. It was offered to all NISD parents, but the link says specifically that the deal is for everyone who has the link. So here's the deal.

https://fevo-enterprise.com/group/24LocalStudent
65tosspowertrap
AxeEm99 said:

65tosspowertrap said:

SFAXE93 said:

I just listened to the coaches show on Q107. The tone was much different in my opinion than previous shows. No cliche phrases. I am hoping that he put the hammer down this weekend about what the expectations are going forward!! Northern Colorado is no joke. Hopefully we are at a true turning point now.
I toyed with the idea of sending a message to the AD (yep, I finally figured out we have a new one, which tells you where my head has been the past year). The 4th quarter losses rundown I read gave me pause, and I thought "does the AD know that we know? Just a passing thought.

SFAJack_76
65tosspowertrap said:

AxeEm99 said:

65tosspowertrap said:

SFAXE93 said:

I toyed with the idea of sending a message to the AD (yep, I finally figured out we have a new one, which tells you where my head has been the past year). The 4th quarter losses rundown I read gave me pause, and I thought "does the AD know that we know? Just a passing thought.
He knows much more than anybody on this message board. And, he's only had the job for four months.

Having said that, he's been very clear that he is accessible to everyone. He has been at every home football, soccer, and volleyball game, both road football games, and was in Huntsville for VB.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

65tosspowertrap said:

AxeEm99 said:

65tosspowertrap said:

SFAXE93 said:

He knows much more than anybody on this message board. And, he's only had the job for four months.

Having said that, he's been very clear that he is accessible to everyone. He has been at every home football, soccer, and volleyball game, both road football games, and was in Huntsville for VB.

He appears to be a very good hire!
SFASawmillGuy
SFAJack_76 said:

65tosspowertrap said:

AxeEm99 said:

65tosspowertrap said:

SFAXE93 said:

Damn, wish I would've seen him in Lake Charles. But good to see him very active! Our athletic department needs leadership that is very active, very knowledgeable about what's going on, and enthusiastic about making us better!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.