WEEK 4: (RV) AUSTIN PEAY

10,569 Views | 166 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by 65tosspowertrap
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ljacks&Longnecks
Good Grief.. Lacking a major comeback this game will haunt us the rest of the year.
Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory
TallTexan
Jyank24 said:

TallTexan said:

Heck of a stop by the defense for the offense just to give the game away.

Hope that doesn't turn into a 9 point swing..not much time left
Defense should go on strike for better working conditions.
Jyank24
Turf monster has the last 2 tackles on the field
nacluth
Defense tired from carrying this game.
Jyank24
Huge stop!!
nacluth
Campos may need to be the man tonight.
MasterAxe
Well, time for redemption.
TallTexan
That's the strangest decision I've ever seen.

Quick punt up by two within field goal range?

What?
Jyank24
Harris with a crosser!!!
nacluth
Fourth down for the game
nacluth
Nope. A lot of head scratching calls on offense tonight. This should have been a W.
Jyank24
We stopped running the ball, failed to stretch the field, and paid the price. Lots of film to review on this one
Ljacks&Longnecks
Sorry folks but this goes down as a BAD Loss. From dominating to utter self destruction.

But must add the defense played well. This is not on them.
nacluth
It all turned when I left. Sorry guys, I let you down.
Jacksfan93
Time for Weeks to get an opportunity. He's earned it.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Nope. A lot of head scratching calls on offense tonight. This should have been a W.
Our offensive playcalling has left a lot to be desired, well pretty much the entire time we've had this OC.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

Our offensive playcalling has left a lot to be desired, well pretty much the entire time we've had this OC.

Questionable. Very.
Jyank24
Jacksfan93 said:

Time for Weeks to get an opportunity. He's earned it.

I could not agree more. Completed both passes he threw, both more then 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage
BigJack85
Jyank24 said:

We stopped running the ball, failed to stretch the field, and paid the price. Lots of film to review on this one

You expect a QB to make a coupe of mental mistakes….

I felt like Mauer made 4-5 questionable plays.
Jyank24
BigJack85 said:

Jyank24 said:

You expect a QB to make a coupe of mental mistakes….

I felt like Mauer made 4-5 questionable plays.

He's got the arm talent to be a pocket passer, either our OC needs to harness that, and help him gain confidence or we need to see what Weeks can do and put the RPO away for a little bit. He seems to struggle with anticipation and timing, and worrying about running or passing on a singular play is hurting him. When it's a traditional drop back he's been ok
SFASawmillGuy
Gotta wonder how much that knee injury was lingering for Brian. His throws did not look the same after the injury. He could still move but planting that leg to throw looked off.
MasterAxe
Immediate reaction grade session:

OFFENSE: D.

Complete meltdown offensively with pitiful playcalling, pitiful execution and (trigger warning) sub-par play from QB1. Really have to look at Weeks because we cannot win with Maurer playing like that.

Only 122 yards of offense in the 2nd half and two absolutely brutal INT's.

Offense directly responsible for 9 of APU points.

DEFENSE: B+

Only get knocked down because we did give up 200+ rushing, but in the context of the game it was while the offense was melting down and our defense was out the for what seemed like an eternity.

The 3rd and goal TD from the 23 was brutal.

SPECIAL TEAMS: C-

That uncharacteristic missed short FG bit us in the ass, didn't it? That and some long returns on kickoffs and it was just an off night here.

OVERALL: Bad Bad Loss.

BRIGHT SIDE: The season is not over, but the margin for error is zero. We are effectively two games back of APU in the standings and if we suffer a 3rd loss, probably will not finish better than 3rd. An 8-3 3rd place team in the UNITED would not have enough on the resume to warrant an at-large.

So, we are now in "must-win" territory from here on out.
TallTexan
Need to throw a little deeper to open up the run with Maurer. I like the skillset. But hit a few passes and then on an early passing down, let him take off. But when you're throwing 3 yard outs, hard to get the defense on their heels.

That said, something wasn't right with his passing post injury scare. Don't know if he bruised a meniscus or what happened there, but he looked more flat footed and not fully stepping into passes after that. And the inaccuracy showed.
SFASawmillGuy
Agree that this made the rest of the year a must win. I figured we would drop one to APSU, Eastern Kentucky, or UCA, but losing to the worst of the 3 the way we did was so much worse.

A head scratcher isn't the end of the world. It happens every year to almost everyone. I believe we can rebound from this.
MasterAxe
SFASawmillGuy said:

Agree that this made the rest of the year a must win. I figured we would drop one to APSU, Eastern Kentucky, or UCA, but losing to the worst of the 3 the way we did was so much worse.

A head scratcher isn't the end of the world. It happens every year to almost everyone. I believe we can rebound from this.

I was a believe you, but we need a fix on offense immediately to make it happen
BigJack85
MasterAxe said:

Immediate reaction grade session:

OFFENSE: D.

Complete meltdown offensively with pitiful playcalling, pitiful execution and (trigger warning) sub-par play from QB1. Really have to look at Weeks because we cannot win with Maurer playing like that.

Only 122 yards of offense in the 2nd half and two absolutely brutal INT's.

Offense directly responsible for 9 of APU points.

DEFENSE: B+

Only get knocked down because we did give up 200+ rushing, but in the context of the game it was while the offense was melting down and our defense was out the for what seemed like an eternity.

The 3rd and goal TD from the 23 was brutal.

SPECIAL TEAMS: C-

That uncharacteristic missed short FG bit us in the ass, didn't it? That and some long returns on kickoffs and it was just an off night here.

OVERALL: Bad Bad Loss.

BRIGHT SIDE: The season is not over, but the margin for error is zero. We are effectively two games back of APU in the standings and if we suffer a 3rd loss, probably will not finish better than 3rd. An 8-3 3rd place team in the UNITED would not have enough on the resume to warrant an at-large.

So, we are now in "must-win" territory from here on out.

Dead on. Offensive meltdown for sure. That pick six wasn't close to any purple. Any. Besides , why wouldn't you run it up the gut and try to milk this thing….
TheRevSFA
There's just a lack of creativity and adjustment by the offense. Stop running WR Screens on third down; we don't have the game changer that is Gipson out there any more.

I also wonder if it's time to give Weeks the helm
TallTexan
I also hope the production crew goes back and watches film. I like the attempt at multiple angles and some replays. It was just poorly executed a lot..

But I gave confidence they can clean it up and get the sound turned back on.
BigJack85
TheRevSFA said:

There's just a lack of creativity and adjustment by the offense. Stop running WR Screens on third down; we don't have the game changer that is Gipson out there any more.

I also wonder if it's time to give Weeks the helm

I don't think it can hurt.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Well, I can't share your confidence on the broadcast we get. Almost every week home games there is some kind of issue with our production. Audio has been a failure at least twice at home games this year.
Would like to think that someone with some clout at SFA would take charge and get the improvements the broadcast needs put in place but we have yet to see it.
Jyank24
Wasn't the worst loss I just watched…OSU winning with :01 left on a 2 yd TD run
djsfw57
I realize this has been mentioned, but how in the world does the audio go straight to hell at halftime? AWFUL.

Our run defense was embarrassing. We either don't think it's important to stop the run, or we don't know how to stop the run. Not sure which yet.
Hardtruth
More like 10-15
MasterAxe
QB1 has 4 TD's and 7 INT's this year passing.

Yes, I know he has a running element but those passing numbers are brutal.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.