WEEK 3: NORTHWESTERN STATE

5,237 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by jboy93
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?

(RV) SFA (1-1) VS. NORTHWESTERN STATE (0-2)

WHEN: Sept. 16, 2023 (Sat.) 6:00 P.M.
WHERE: Natchitoches, Louisiana (Turpin Stadium)
TV: ESPN+

SERIES 25-41-0 (but 6-4-0 since 2010)

This will be the 67th meeting between the Demons of Northwestern State and your Lumberjacks of Stephen F. Austin State, in one of the most heated rivalries of the South, The Battle for Chief Caddo (RIP)

In our last episode, dating back to 2019, the Chief returned back across the Sabine River after a hard fought 32-20 Lumberjack victory at Turpin Stadium, in Coach Carthel's inaugural season at SFA, and the Chief has called Nacogdoches home ever since (and has since been put to pasture)

But back across the river, now in his 8th season as Head Coach, Brad Laird has pretty much overhauled a majority of his NSU's roster from a season ago, with some talented new faces, starting with a 7th year senior QB from Sacramento, California #8 Tyler Waal Vander 6-4; 220.

In what has seemed like an injury plagued college career, the 25 year old QB comes to Natchitoches as a transfer from Idaho State, via the University of Wyoming with a total of 27 starts. In his only two starts at NSU Waal Vander has completed 22 passes for 244 yards and 2 TDs, but both starts have come against FBS competition.

Yesterday against the Louisiana Tech Bulldogs, the Demons put up 324 total yards (139 pass; 185 rush) against Louisiana Tech, obtaining 20 first downs, but committed 3 turnovers.

With a trailing score of 14-17 and 3:20 remaining on the clock, in the first half Northwestern State gave the Bulldogs all they could handle. The Demons should have scored more, had it not been for a dropped TD pass right before the half.

The NSU offense likes to use up to four running backs, to pound the ball down the field. In the last two games (again against FBS defenses) they have managed 351 yards (3.0 average) and 2 TDs.

The Demons have two big targets in the passing game with sophomore TE #0 Travon Jones 6-6; 220 and Junior WR #88 Stanley King 6-6; 200.

The defense is lead by senior linebacker #8 Jaeden Ward 6-2; 220 who after two games leads the team with 11 tackles and DL #33 Ty Ely 6-2; 255, who recorded 2 TFL and a sack against Louisiana Tech.

Already early in this season, the Northwestern State Demons are a well battle tested team, as they have played back to back FBS opponents on the road, and they have played them well.

The Demons will no doubt be hungry for that first win on Saturday, in this their 2023 home opener, and what better motivation, not only for them, but also for their brother from across the river in a good ole sibling rivalry, and the bragging rights that come with it.

Axe'Em

SFASawmillGuy
The trophy actually permanently belongs to us. NSU's students had a meeting earlier this year and decided to discontinue the Chief Caddo tradition.

Anyway, Jacks by 30.
SFAXE93
You just ruined my write up lol

Ok guys we are just playing for bragging rights
Ljacks&Longnecks
OMG. I was going to post let's Keep the Chief. Now I guess we have lost this tradition. That's just Sad.

The legend of Chief Caddo and his sons is a great story and the statue adds to a good rivalry. It shouldn't be ruined by politics of any side of the spectrum.
SFASawmillGuy
https://nsutraditions.com/our-heritage/chief-caddo/
Ljacks&Longnecks
If it was a combined decision by both schools then so be it.

My take on it would be a bit different. Since the 2 cities are named after his sons, it keeps the legend alive and might actually make a few people aware of the Caddo Nation and it's people. When the game is played and the broadcasters relate the legend, it brings it alive. Made me look up the Caddo Nation many years ago just to follow up.
SFASawmillGuy
NSU seems in the spirit.

SFA Jack Fanatic
SFASawmillGuy said:

NSU seems in the spirit.

SFA Jack Fanatic
I love their stick men. Guess they couldn't scrape up anyone who could actually draw at that little school.

BTW, SFA by 30, SFA Sawmill Guy?? Wow! Maybe you need to take your foot off the caffeinated coffee accelerator...
MasterAxe
Loved what we did in the 2nd half against Alcorn, with a much bigger commitment to the run,

NWST has given up more than 560 yards rushing in the first two games...yes, against, FBS, but still a lot of yards.

If we commit to the run, feels like we can really take control.
SFASawmillGuy
https://nsudemons.com/news/2023/9/13/demon-football-nsu-sfa-joint-statement-on-status-of-chief-caddo-trophy.aspx
SFASawmillGuy
BigJack85
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

OMG. I was going to post let's Keep the Chief. Now I guess we have lost this tradition. That's just Sad.

The legend of Chief Caddo and his sons is a great story and the statue adds to a good rivalry. It shouldn't be ruined by politics of any side of the spectrum.

100%
SFAXE93
SteelAxe
Cheif Caddo with the early appearance on college gameday!
SFAXE93
sfajack05
Remember everyone nothing but positive posts tonight.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Is this a new rule...or are we under surveillance?
SFASawmillGuy
LETS GO!!!
sfajack05
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Is this a new rule...or are we under surveillance?

Someone on twitter reads the board then posts about the negativity on twitter. Just messing around.

Also great start to the game!
Ljacks&Longnecks
Now that's a nice drive to open a game.
SFASawmillGuy
Would like to point out this is a professional quality broadcast here, at least camera work and audio wise.
nacluth
That's a turnover touchdown.
sfajack05
SFASawmillGuy said:

Would like to point out this is a professional quality broadcast here, at least camera work and audio wise.

Their play by play guy is great
Ljacks&Longnecks
YEAH. Can we start this way every week?!?!
Ljacks&Longnecks
Maurer to Harris TD. Now this is Fun.
nacluth
21-0 6:10 into the game!
SFASawmillGuy
LFG!!!!
Ljacks&Longnecks
So they mentioned Chief Caddo saga.

While I will remain on the side of playing for the Chief.....there is an obvious way to handle the situation with those of the Caddo Nation who are offended and the Universities.
Have representatives of both schools meet with a group from the Caddo's and offer them the opportunity to create a new trophy for the schools to play for that is sanctioned and approved by all 3 parties. Surely the Caddo nation could come up with something that they themselves create that honors their culture and that could be incorporated into a trophy for SFA and NSU to play over.
Seems that this could be a great compromise and something all 3 entities could agree on.
Pilotgirl
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

So they mentioned Chief Caddo saga.

While I will remain on the side of playing for the Chief.....there is an obvious way to handle the situation with those of the Caddo Nation who are offended and the Universities.
Have representatives of both schools meet with a group from the Caddo's and offer them the opportunity to create a new trophy for the schools to play for that is sanctioned and approved by all 3 parties. Surely the Caddo nation could come up with something that they themselves create that honors their culture and that could be incorporated into a trophy for SFA and NSU to play over.
Seems that this could be a great compromise and something all 3 entities could agree on.

I love this idea!
Ljacks&Longnecks
Offense kind of dozing off since the great start. Need to refocus a bit and get a good drive in.
SFASawmillGuy
So NWST's QB can't throw the ball. Got it.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Maurer to the RB Willams for about 50 yd TD pass. 28-0
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFASawmillGuy predicted SFA by 30 earlier this week and I poked fun at his prediction.

A crow is basting in my oven right now.
Jyank24
Maurer looks much better today, a little more time to throw and he's showing a lot better touch on the ball!!!

This is a fun game!!!
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.