WEEK 7: TARLETON

7,897 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SFAJack_76
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
SFAXE93
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93 said:

TallTexan said:

Attendance was 7035?

4-1 team coming to town, SFA coming off a crazy comeback, perfect weather, and that's the attendance?

How do we boost that?
Warner - 12,590
ACU - 7,224
Tarleton - 7,035

Hold a family weekend every game
Homecoming will fix it.
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

Attendance was 7035?

4-1 team coming to town, SFA coming off a crazy comeback, perfect weather, and that's the attendance?

How do we boost that?

Honestly if you look at Twitter the Jacksonville State game killed the hype behind the team. I saw numerous tweets from Greek life representatives and just students in general bashing the team afterwards and saying the classic narrative of "our football team sucks", even though they're an FCS playoff caliber team. I'm sure there's plenty of students who probably think we haven't won a game all year yet because they don't care to keep up with it and have just heard about our national tv loss, our FBS loss, and losing to Sam.

It makes you wonder how packed the stadium would've been if we were undefeated or at least beat JSU and Sam.
BigJack85
Greek attendance doesn't seem to be anything like I recall in the 80's or 90's. That's a real disappointment. If you can get those folks behind you , attendance will blossom.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFASawmillGuy
I've touched on it before but when I attended SFA I can tell 60-70% of the people who attended games, both football and basketball, were not students. Student support for athletics is actually pretty poor. When asked why students didn't care the answer always seemed to be because they didn't care about our opponents. Outside of Sam Houston and to a much lesser extend NWST the students could less about other mid major/FCS opponents.

I know the social media department does a great job promoting our teams and getting the word out, but there should probably be some aggressive in person promotion of our teams on campus. Make the students care, and we will see SFA have a real college environment on game days.
PurpleOut
Staff
Jacksfan93 said:

This post didn't age well. Keep that same energy the rest of the season though!l
It aged fine, he had a terrible first half after nothing but inconsistent games the last few weeks.

He was great in the second half and controlled the game.

I don't know what we need to do to get him, but more importantly our entire offensive system/play calling to play a complete game. We have yet to do that this season in my opinion (Warner doesn't count).
PurpleOut
Staff
In regards to the crowd, one big reason for the low attendance Saturday was the Nac County Fair.

As silly and dumb as that sounds, it was absolutely packed and we all know we have a pretty fair weather fan base when it comes to the locals. So I 100% believe a good amount of them went there instead of the game. Everyone seemed to be talking about it.
sfajack05
BigJack85 said:

Greek attendance doesn't seem to be anything like I recall in the 80's or 90's. That's a real disappointment. If you can get those folks behind you , attendance will blossom.
I'd be okay with athletics not allowing the greek organizations to put their letters on the hill unless they sit on them. Also, not allow them to remove them until after the game is over. I remember this was the case when I was there. We weren't allowed to remove them until after the game was over.
BigJack85
sfajack05 said:

BigJack85 said:

I'd be okay with athletics not allowing the greek organizations to put their letters on the hill unless they sit on them. Also, not allow them to remove them until after the game is over. I remember this was the case when I was there. We weren't allowed to remove them until after the game was over.

Agree 100%
PurpleOut
Staff
Had a great time in Nac this weekend. We had a "soft launch" of adding tailgaters to AxeEm Acres, and well, it needs some work. I like the idea, it's just not organized or promoted yet. Which I get, we're still understaffed and really just trying it out. They want to make it like Lumberjack Alley used to be in the commuter lot. We just don't have many people tailgating any more, and I'm not totally sure why.

And we also don't promote tailgating, AT ALL. We post on social media constantly that "events" start at 3:00 or whatever, but tailgating should be all day thing. Like it is everywhere else. We want people to come out, but basically encourage them to come late in the day. Doesn't make any sense.

We set up in the lot next to the Ag Pond and main entrance. Other than a few geese encounters it was amazing, we had a big group and lots of kids that really enjoyed it.

We rented out one of the endzone tents as well, and loved it. Several small things that they need to work on to help the experience, but all in all it was fun and a great set up. We of course took our flags down there, they should add PLF flags to each tent.

Looking forward to coming back and doing again for the UCA game, but without kids!
BigJack85
I am planning on tailgating near the forestry building. Is that a NO GO? Should we move to Axe 'Em Acres?

We Might not be able to move to Axe Em Acres as we already put our meeting plans together for the forestry building area, that we have been tailgating at for a few years.
PurpleOut
Staff
BigJack85 said:

I am planning on tailgating near the forestry building. Is that a NO GO? Should we move to Axe 'Em Acres?

We Might not be able to move to Axe Em Acres as we already put our meeting plans together for the forestry building area, that we have been tailgating at for a few years.
It's up to you.

Because I was 50/50 on it until Saturday. Like you, I like our old normal spot under the trees on Hayter.

Nobody will force you to do anything, but the goal in the future is to have more tailgaters at AxeEm acres. They basically cone off a circle inside the lot, vendors inside the circle and tailgaters on the outside outlining the lot. They wanted us to drop off stuff by 10:00 as there is no parking in that lot, which wasn't a problem. We were fully set up and tailgating by 9:00. The lot is closed at night, so those that have big set ups (like a smoker) can take it in the night before.

If we can get AxeEm Acres to look like Lumberjack Alley used to back in the day, then I am 100% for it and will continue to tailgate there. Once AxeEm Acres officially started, it was pretty lively...we just need to have tailgaters and other vendors out there to make it a full day event.

I think we should be talking with a local restaurant/bar, to have a mobile version set up. Basically a set up like Alumni Corner, but earlier in the day, for EVERYONE.
BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

BigJack85 said:

It's up to you.

Because I was 50/50 on it until Saturday. Like you, I like our old normal spot under the trees on Hayter.

Nobody will force you to do anything, but the goal in the future is to have more tailgaters at AxeEm acres. They basically cone off a circle inside the lot, vendors inside the circle and tailgaters on the outside outlining the lot. They wanted us to drop off stuff by 10:00 as there is no parking in that lot, which wasn't a problem. We were fully set up and tailgating by 9:00. The lot is closed at night, so those that have big set ups (like a smoker) can take it in the night before.

If we can get AxeEm Acres to look like Lumberjack Alley used to back in the day, then I am 100% for it and will continue to tailgate there. Once AxeEm Acres officially started, it was pretty lively...we just need to have tailgaters and other vendors out there to make it a full day event.

I think we should be talking with a local restaurant/bar, to have a mobile version set up. Basically a set up like Alumni Corner, but earlier in the day, for EVERYONE.

Gotcha. Then I might hang off Hayter. Next fall, Axe 'Em Acres.
Jacksfan93
But see…it didn't age fine. 16/25 (64%) 253yds 2 passing and 2 rushing from the player that you wanted to sit? All that after a 1st quarter with no pass attempts. Ball security in general needs to be better but especially in the red zone…will give you that but wow, you're a pretty harsh critic. I wonder if the Tarleton 5 star commit bounce back from power 5 Kentucky 18/31 222yds (58%) 2 Td's and 2 INT's that Trae outplayed gets the same type of support from his fans?
PurpleOut
Staff
Jacksfan93 said:

But see…it didn't age fine. 16/25 (64%) 253yds 2 passing and 2 rushing from the player that you wanted to sit? All that after a 1st quarter with no pass attempts. Ball security in general needs to be better but especially in the red zone…will give you that but wow, you're a pretty harsh critic. I wonder if the Tarleton 5 star commit bounce back from power 5 Kentucky 18/31 222yds (58%) 2 Td's and 2 INT's that Trae outplayed gets the same type of support from his fans?
Not that harsh, we've all been talking about it for weeks as he's been wildly inconsistent.
Jacksfan93
The entire team has been wildly inconsistent right?
SFAXE93
PurpleOut
Staff
Jacksfan93 said:

Yep. Trae though has had jekyll and hyde type inconsistencies. The difference from one half to the next is wildly different than it should be.

Again, he played great in the second half this weekend. But the criticism for the overall season is fair, just like it is for Storm and the overall game plan.

And also again, we can't keep making decisions like 4th and 1 from our own 20. We've had too many mistakes like that this season already.
TheRevSFA
Jacksfan93 said:

So where was the production in the first half? Why did it take him until the third quarter to play a decent game? The criticism of Self has been warranted; he hasn't been consistent this year.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

Jacksfan93 said:

Yep. Trae though has had jekyll and hyde type inconsistencies. The difference from one half to the next is wildly different than it should be.

Again, he played great in the second half this weekend. But the criticism for the overall season is fair, just like it is for Storm and the overall game plan.

And also again, we can't keep making decisions like 4th and 1 from our own 20. We've had too many mistakes like that this season already.

At one point, Self was 3-8 with two lost fumbles. He then completed four in a row, before playing, and managing the game, very well in the second half. He has publicly said he needs to be more consistent. Heck, he ran better in the second half than he has all season. We need that Trae Self for a full game.

The play calling …. some real head scratchers. And, that's being kind.

BTW, that Gipson kid has been pretty damn consistent. Just get him the ball in space and watch him fly.
Jacksfan93
No argument about Gipson.
TheRevSFA
SFAJack_76 said:

PurpleOut said:

Jacksfan93 said:

At one point, Self was 3-8 with two lost fumbles. He then completed four in a row, before playing, and managing the game, very well in the second half. He has publicly said he needs to be more consistent. Heck, he ran better in the second half than he has all season. We need that Trae Self for a full game.

The play calling …. some real head scratchers. And, that's being kind.

BTW, that Gipson kid has been pretty damn consistent. Just get him the ball in space and watch him fly.
That's just it...if we could get some consistency across the board we'd have beat Sam and maybe JSU. When we play inspired, focused, ball, we are unstoppable. When we lose focus, we don't.

You can't tell me that this team wouldn't be the top 10 team everyone expected to be if we played our game.

Also, totally agree on Gipson. Let him run some short slants, get him the ball quickly and let him work his magic.
Ljacks&Longnecks
First half offense problems vs Tarleton went way beyond Self alone, mainly that every running play Tarleton had 2 or 3 defenders practically in our backfield before runner even hit line of scrimmage. Great scouting or knowing what rushing plays would be consistently called, they were all over it. I don't mind the old school thought of establish the ground game but needs to be tweaked when every play hit a brick wall......and I won't even get into the 4th down from our 20.

Then came the 2nd half and the offense gave us all we could want. I'm guessing we made some minor adjustments in rushing as our 2 backs plus Self came alive and the rushing yards piled up as well as the lead.
Defense outstanding job, couple of good drives for Tarleton but mostly held well in check.

Self's inconsistency is undeniable and hard to figure. That said the road to the playoffs is still open for us and the last second win over ACU and the 2nd half dominance over Tarleton hopefully are springboards we will use towards winning out last 4 games and getting the playoff bid.
SFAJack_76
Several of the first half run plays into the line were RPO's that Self kept choosing to hand off rather than pull it out and look for the pass.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.