(RV) SFA VS. #19 EKU

15,111 Views | 181 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SFAXE93
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?

(RV) STEPHEN F. AUSTIN STATE (5-3; 3-2) VS. #19 EASTERN KENTUCKY (6-2; 3-0)

WHEN: NOV. 6 (SAT.) 4:00 P.M.
WHERE: NACOGDOCHES, TEXAS (HOMER BRYCE STADIUM)
TV: ESPN+
RADIO: Q107.7

The red hot Colonels of Eastern Kentucky are riding high into the Nac. on a 5-game winning streak, and a perfect 3-0 in conference play.

Offensively the Colonels average 148 yards a game on the ground and 199 through the air for a very balanced offensive while EKU is averaging 27 points a game while giving up 21.

The Lumberjacks will have their hands full with the young three headed EKU rushing attack, with freshman RB #25 DA'JOUN HEWITT 5-10; 205, sophomore #18 PARKER MCKINNEY 6-3; 208, and freshman RB #4 KYEANDRE MAGLOIRE 6-0; 200 who have combined for 1,165 yards (5.2 average) on 244 carries for 12 TDs.

The defense is headed by junior LB #33 MATTHEW JACKSON 6-2; 205 who leads the team in tackles (72), tackles for loss (7.0), sacks (3.5), and QBH (6).

SFA will be playing their 3rd ranked opponent in the last 5 games

#1 SAM HOUSTON STATE 20-21
#24 JACKSONVILLE STATE 24-28
#19 EASTERN KENTUCKY ?

and looking for their first signature win of the season as well as putting their 9-game home winning streak on the line, to make their case for a playoff bid and a run for a National Championship in 2021.

Axe'EM
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
FGColonel
Should be a great game. On paper we are very evenly matched. Just wish were were in Richmond.. You guys came up and spanked us a little last year, Hope we can return the favor this year. Feel we are much improved over that game and assume you are too. We know it will be a huge challenge but really looking forward to coming to Texas.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Welcome FG. Feel free to share any info that will help SFA continue our goal of winning out the season.
nacluth
It's clear this is not the same team that we (and others) handled easily last year. They were able to get by UCA (who just beat J-State) on the road and crushed Lamar at home.

Our run defense will be tested just like it was against ACU. Sustaining some long drives and keeping our defense off the field will be key. We have been in playoff mode the last three weeks. Another must win. The only way we finish in the top half of the AQ7 is to get the next three.

Let's get it Lumberjacks.
FGColonel
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Welcome FG. Feel free to share any info that will help SFA continue our goal of winning out the season.
Not a lot to share, We are pretty young, but getting better with experience, did not play spring ball. Like most FCs schools we are pretty good at number 1s but not too deep at some position, Really young WR group that has been rocked with injuries, but making plays when we need them, sometimes lol. Running game is getting better, Two pretty good RBs share the load behind a decent size line, center and guards are in the 6-2 /6-4 300 range, tackles are both 6-7 about 320. One transfer sr. one rs, jr, two Soph and a rs fr.. We think our QB Mckinney is about as good as anybody's, Run a very balanced offence but will take what the defense gives us

We play a lot of guys on a bend but don't break defense, four man rush most of time, Do a decent job of pressuring but really need to be longer off the edges Pretty good at linebacker, Jackson averages around 9 tackles per game . Two really good corners, ( if we can keep them healthy) Ross is # 2 in the nation in passes defended, It will be fun to watch him and Gipson go at it. Probably the best either have gone against this year. Ross has 3 pick 6 this year (so far)
FG kicker is a freshman, very good but has not had a lot of opportunities. Longest was I think 47 yrs. well within his range. Punter is Australian, really ugly most of time but is averaging about 45 yards per pt.
That pretty well sums it up. Very young and key for us is to play within ourselves and not let our emotions let us make mistakes, If we play physical and do not turn the ball over, I think we have a chance, If we don't. you guys win going away.
EKU A Matter of Pride
2 National Championships
4 National Championship Games
22 Playoff Appearances
21 OVC Conference Titles
SFASawmillGuy
The next 3 games are playoff games for us, so we need to be ready to pull out all the stops.

EKU's running game will test us. Our defense had a rough game against ACU but I think they'll bounce back and make it hard for them to gain momentum.

Offensively we need to show Trae the tape from Saturday and tell him to do that again. Our offense could be so much more dynamic if we didn't have the injuries that limits our running game but with how strong our defense is we just need to keep trying to win however we can.

Also letting Campos kick on 4th down. We do not need to leave points on the field when we have a kicker who is automatic from 45+
Kat1990
Very interesting game that I will be keeping an eye on!
TallTexan
Here's a question I had Saturday. I think we can all agree that the visitor side seating sucks. It's in the sun, etc.

Why not sell cheaper tickets for that side in an attempt to fill it up?

Jacks games can be pretty pricey with a $18 get in price for adults. Nac is not a wealthy area. Why not try some $5 or 10 dollar ticket pricing but the catch is that you have to sit on the terrible side?
Ljacks&Longnecks
Nice writeup FG. I like your signature as well showing the EKU playoffs history. Just don't get offended if I don't want you to add anything to that total this weekend!!
Ljacks&Longnecks
Good idea Texan. I'd even say that $3 a ticket for the upper portions of that side to get folks in on the cheap. Hopefully another year or two of continued improvement more of those seats will sell themselves.

Early 70's in my younger days in Austin, UT would sometimes sell "knothole" tickets for $1 in the end zone. Friends and I would sometimes partake.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Back home this weekend after a Nac trip. Any hope that the ESPN+ coverage will be better this week??
Glad to see the tweets to Ivey about the poor job regarding game time production. Hope that somehow leads to a quick improvement.
FGColonel
TallTexan said:

Here's a question I had Saturday. I think we can all agree that the visitor side seating sucks. It's in the sun, etc.

Do I need to bring my sun glasses? Or will the sun be behind something by game time?
Our visitors side faces due west. Can be brutal during afternoon games, We play early season games at night when we can. Besides we just got new lights. They blink Maroon and White when we score. Annoys the crap out of visitors, lol
EKU A Matter of Pride
2 National Championships
22 Playoff Appearances
21 OVC Conference Titles
FGColonel
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Good idea Texan. I'd even say that $3 a ticket for the upper portions of that side to get folks in on the cheap. Hopefully another year or two of continued improvement more of those seats will sell themselves.

Early 70's in my younger days in Austin, UT would sometimes sell "knothole" tickets for $1 in the end zone. Friends and I would sometimes partake.
Do your students get in free with campus ID? Am I reading the above post correct. you have some $18.00 tickets?
EKU A Matter of Pride
2 National Championships
22 Playoff Appearances
21 OVC Conference Titles
Ljacks&Longnecks
General Admission is $15 I believe. The visiting bench is opposite the press box and that 15 would get you anywhere on that side. SFA band is on that side and covers one of the lower sections. You would have no trouble getting a 50 yard line spot for your $15.
Press box side has some $15-20 and then chairback seats that run $35

You will likely need sunglasses for a short time but with a 4pm start, I don't believe the sun would be an issue for too long.

Oh and yes students free with ID.
TallTexan
I'm not sure what they cost at the booth but there's always a $3 service charge listed every time I buy GA online.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

I'm not sure what they cost at the booth but there's always a $3 service charge listed every time I buy GA online.

The FCA sells online GA tickets to all home games at a discount as a fund raiser for them. They're $7, with a $2.50 service charge. I'll retweet a link on my Twitter feed. I'm also SFA Jack Fanatic over there.
sfajack05
FGColonel said:

TallTexan said:

Do I need to bring my sun glasses? Or will the sun be behind something by game time?
Our visitors side faces due west. Can be brutal during afternoon games, We play early season games at night when we can. Besides we just got new lights. They blink Maroon and White when we score. Annoys the crap out of visitors, lol
Yes I would recommend you bring your sunglasses. You'll need them for at least the first quarter and maybe the second. The sun should be down behind the pressbox by/after halftime.

Also, if you need food recommendations before the game I would suggest Butcher Boys.
TallTexan
sfajack05 said:

FGColonel said:

TallTexan said:

Yes I would recommend you bring your sunglasses. You'll need them for at least the first quarter and maybe the second. The sun should be down behind the pressbox by/after halftime.

Also, if you need food recommendations before the game I would suggest Butcher Boys.
Butcher Boys has the best Dr Pepper on the planet.
SFAJack_76
There are shortages of Dr Pepper. In Texas. Supply chain issues. The world has gone mad.
FGColonel
Thanks for the food recommendations but flying down with the team, Just eat with them.
EKU A Matter of Pride
2 National Championships
22 Playoff Appearances
21 OVC Conference Titles
FGColonel

Just found out. Since the game is later in the day, We are getting a van and taking some of the old, uh more mature and non essential people out to eat lunch. I was told Butcher Boys but that is not confirmed yet. Told them I was in.
EKU A Matter of Pride
2 National Championships
22 Playoff Appearances
21 OVC Conference Titles
SFAXE93
WHITE OUT!
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut
Staff
FGColonel said:

Just found out. Since the game is later in the day, We are getting a van and taking some of the old, uh more mature and non essential people out to eat lunch. I was told Butcher Boys but that is not confirmed yet. Told them I was in.
Awesome, welcome to our board and safe travels coming down to Nac.

Weather looks amazing, might want to make sure you have a jacket though when the sun goes down.

Anyone else here going to be in town? Trying to decide myself if I'll make it. Three straight weekend trips from Dallas is tiring (hoops next weekend).
sfajack05
PurpleOut said:

Anyone else here going to be in town? Trying to decide myself if I'll make it. Three straight weekend trips from Dallas is tiring (hoops next weekend).

I plan on coming down with MasterAxe and MasterAxe Jr. Not sure what time or if we will hit up tailgate.
TallTexan
We might try to make it.
millenniumkat
Can i please be an SFA football fan now? Lolol
SFASawmillGuy
Are you sure your liver can take it?
Jacks4460
Sure I hope we get to play yall tho... Atleast in football..
millenniumkat
SFA_03 said:

Are you sure your liver can take it?

Heck yeah. I dont drink but i can start now.
millenniumkat
How
Much are season tickets at Homer Bryce?
SFA Jack Fanatic
millenniumkat said:

Can i please be an SFA football fan now? Lolol

After all the crap you vomited here before? When Hell freezes over.
millenniumkat
Too bad and too late. I was prolly attending games at homer bryce before most of this board. Like it or not, im yours now…family.
SFASawmillGuy
You've always been family, but kind of like that weird backwoods family member no one invited yet still shows up.
SFASawmillGuy

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.