(RV) SFA VS. ABILENE CHRISTIAN

12,218 Views | 153 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by PurpleOut
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?

(RV) STEPHEN F. AUSTIN STATE (4-3; 2-1) VS. ABILENE CHIRSTIAN (4-3; 1-0)

WHEN: OCT. 30 (SAT.) 4:00 P.M.
WHERE: NACOGDOCHES, TEXAS (HOMER BRYCE STADIUM)
TV: ESPN+
RADIO: Q107.7
HOMECOMING WEEKEND

After a month's absence from home, the Lumberjacks of SFA finally return to the friendly confines of Homer Bryce Stadium in the Nac.

Waiting for them will be the Wildcats of Abilene Christian, who no doubt have had this game circled for 2021 as they look to settle the score from last season's lone SLC (unsponcered) game where the Lumberjacks pulled out the win with a thrilling TD reception to Chad Aune in OT and the Coach Carthel legendary shirt shed was born.

The series which was renewed in 2014 when ACU joined the SLC, has turned into a great rilvary game, with SFA winning 4 of the last 5, but not by much, in some really hard fought battles and 2021 should be no exception.

2020: SFA:35; ACU:32 (OT) (3)
2019: ACU:31; ACU:24 (2OT) (7)
2018: SFA:24; ACU:21 (3)
2017: SFA:20; ACU:10 (10)
2016: SFA:41; ACU:30 (11)
2015: ACU:35; SFA:32 (3)
2014: ACU:37; SFA:35 (2)

The Wildcats are lead by a couple of QB's in red-shirt freshman QB #3 STONE EARLE 6-2; 203 who has completed 101 passes for 1,216 YARDS and 13 TDs along with just 4 INTs, as well as 2 rushing TDs, and Sophomore QB #2 PEYTON MANSELL 6-2; 213 who is more the runner with 338 yards (8.9 average) on the ground and 3 scores (2nd on the team in rushing yards)

Leading rusher is senior RB #24 TYRESE WHITE 5-10; 202 with nearly 400 yards (7.1 Average) and 3 TDs.

Junior wide out #8 KOBE CLARK 5-11; 180 having a solid season with 38 catches for 405 yards and 5 TDs which ranks 3rd in the WAC in receiving yards per game.

The defense is lead by senior lineman #94 OSARETIN OBADEYI 6-5; 240 who is 4th in the conference with 3.5 sacks

The Wildcats score 32 points a game, (while giving up 23) and they do it on the ground with almost 200 yards a game rushing.

The SFA defense, so aggressive up front, tends to get burned with the explosive play in their over pursuit, so expect ACU to hit a couple of home runs. It will be up to the Jacks to hold their composure and to battle through those plays and to not lose focus and fall into self doubt, as they continue to learn to win as true champions must learn to do.

Axe'Em
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
TallTexan
Big game this week. Now is when we see if we're truly taking steps forward.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Big game … absolutely. Does Saturday define if we are truly taking steps forward … no. Reflect back to where our football program was just two years ago. We are light years ahead of where the previous administration and coaches left us.
BigJack85
A good home crowd would make a difference. At the beginning of the season I was hoping for 12k-14k. That is probably a pipe dream given the apathy of our student body.
nacluth
No question the team has been more competitive, but we haven't been able to win the tough games yet. No one thinks ACU is a top FCS team, but they will be a challenge. This game determines whether we're in the lower half or the upper half of the conference.
SFASawmillGuy
I mean unfortunately homecoming now has to compete with a World Series game where about half of our fans will be invested in it, so I don't doubt that will moderately affect the crowd either. That being said if we didn't lose to SHSU and JSU, we easily get over 14k I think.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

Big game … absolutely. Does Saturday define if we are truly taking steps forward … no. Reflect back to where our football program was just two years ago. We are light years ahead of where the previous administration and coaches left us.
Fair. Should have worded it as additional "tangible proof that we're taking big steps forward".

TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

A good home crowd would make a difference. At the beginning of the season I was hoping for 12k-14k. That is probably a pipe dream given the apathy of our student body.
I'm hoping we hit 12k. We'll be in town.
SFASawmillGuy
Honestly we're only 4 spots out of the top 25, a win this week could push us back in.
PurpleOut
Staff
MasterAxe
If ever this game needed to be on a day not named Saturday, this is it.

Big chance for us to really catapult into a nice finish to the year and its on the Saturday of Halloween.

So...instead of watching (maybe I can get the beginning) I will be dressing my kids up as baby sharks and going to ask for candy that I will eventually eat.

Joy.
PurpleOut
Staff
MasterAxe said:

Big chance for us to really catapult into a nice finish to the year and its on the Saturday of Halloween.

So...instead of watching (maybe I can get the beginning) I will be dressing my kids up as baby sharks and going to ask for candy that I will eventually eat.

Joy.
Except Halloween is on Sunday.

TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

MasterAxe said:

Joy.

As someone in the banking industry, I'd just like to point out that Halloween should be a federal holiday.
MasterAxe
PurpleOut said:

MasterAxe said:

Joy.

You're technically not wrong...but all/most of the local Trick or Treat events and things are on Saturday...and the wife thinks it's a good idea that we do it...for the kids.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Something on Facebook about a Jack-Tacular Halloween trick or treat event at Homer Bryce after the ACU game.
Also fireworks after game.

Meanwhile we are going to leave grandkids to their parents and come to Nac on Thursday for Volleyball and Jack Madness and again volleyball and football on Saturday.
PurpleOut
Staff
MasterAxe said:

PurpleOut said:

MasterAxe said:

Joy.

You're technically not wrong...but all/most of the local Trick or Treat events and things are on Saturday...and the wife thinks it's a good idea that we do it...for the kids.
Just to derail the thread more, everyone in your area actually goes to houses for Trick or Treating on Saturday/non-Halloween days? I see Trunk or Treat and other events on other days like this upcoming Saturday, but I've never gone out or had someone come to my house except on Halloween itself.

To each his own of course, I'm just surprised.
SFAJack_76
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Something on Facebook about a Jack-Tacular Halloween trick or treat event at Homer Bryce after the ACU game.

Meanwhile we are going to leave grandkids to their parents and come to Nac on Thursday for Volleyball and Jack Madness and again volleyball and football on Saturday.

This is the correct answer!
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

MasterAxe said:

PurpleOut said:

MasterAxe said:

Joy.

Just to derail the thread more, everyone in your area actually goes to houses for Trick or Treating on Saturday/non-Halloween days? I see Trunk or Treat and other events on other days like this upcoming Saturday, but I've never gone out or had someone come to my house except on Halloween itself.

To each his own of course, I'm just surprised.
A friend in Nac posted this week that they're going to homecoming & then going trick or treating. Maybe city by city?

My plan is to give out candy on Sunday in Palestine but if nobody shows up, my office is getting a lot of candy donated to the candy bowl.
TallTexan
Where are our usual ACU friends at? They usually do a good job giving us a fair assessment of the strengths/weaknesses of their team.
Jacks4460
MasterAxe said:

PurpleOut said:

MasterAxe said:

Joy.

Your Wife is correct MasterAxe.. and your kids will love you even more for spending the time with em..
SFAJack_76
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

From an email that came out today relative to Jack Madness:

"FREE T-Shirt for the first 300 Fans

(Must present a voucher handed out at the volleyball game to claim t-shirt)"
SFASawmillGuy
Gonna be a Black Out game.
PurpleOut
Staff
sfajack05
The family and I will be rolling into Nac at about 3:00-3:30 just in time for the game (thanks soccer doubleheader) so we won't be able to experience many of the homecoming festivities.

I'm not expecting a big crowd student wise and I'm sure the ones we do have about 50% will leave after halftime to watch the world series or get ready for their halloween parties (if they still have them).

PurpleOut
Staff
Really sad that we don't have more tailgaters. Especially for homecoming. I walked around and there's one other pop up tent (a few others with nobody there), just 5 hours until kickoff.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Really sad that we don't have more tailgaters. Especially for homecoming. I walked around and there's one other pop up tent (a few others with nobody there), just 5 hours until kickoff.

I'm not the world's greatest tailgater but we'll be there after lunch.

Personally though, I think we've got to rethink a lot of our tailgating & fan outreach strategy. Feel like we might need a catch all thread for that though.
BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

Ya. Sorry I'm not there. I've made almost every homecoming for the past 10 years. Maybe we (Sawmillers) can coordinate to tailgate at two home games a year. For the greater good of SFA football
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

People sure aren't at volleyball. Lightest crowd I have ever seen here.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

PurpleOut said:

All drunk. And they got 850 a couple nights before?
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

PurpleOut said:

Thanks for the heads up. We were assuming it'd be packed and were gonna skip.
Ljacks&Longnecks
After a good VB win...now Butcher Boys burger then on to FB. Good times
nacluth
We attended the homecoming parade. Saw the prez and the BOR. Town is packed, so I hope the game will be.
TallTexan
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

After a good VB win...now Butcher Boys burger then on to FB. Good times

Great minds think alike.

I don't know how, but Butcher Boys has the best Dr Pepper on the planet.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Anyone who thinks this game is going to be easy is naive. ACU is pretty dang good. i hope we can finish a close game this time. It's a must win for us to have any hope of the playoffs.
SFASawmillGuy
Every single game is essentially a possible playoff game from here on out. So the pressure is there. Even Lamar is gonna give us their best shot. We need to bring that first half of the Piney Woods mentality every week now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.