(RV) SFA VS. TEXAS TECH

15,909 Views | 217 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by djsfw57
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?

(RV) STEPHEN F. AUSTIN STATE (1-0; 1-0) VS. (RV) TEXAS TECH (1-0; 0-0)

WHEN: SEPT. 11 (SAT.) 6:00 P.M.
WHERE: LUBBOCK, TEXAS (JONES AT&T STADIUM)
TV: XII NOW/ESPN+
RADIO: TTSN/Q107.7

The Lumberjacks of SFA made history last Saturday night, starting off the 2021 season with the first WAC victory in 9 years (2012) which amazingly is also the last year that SFA started the season 1-0.

Yes, it has been quite awhile since that 1-0 start, wellit also helps tremendously when you hold off your money game until the second game of the season, which brings us to the Red Raiders of Texas Tech and the Celebrate America Game.

The last time these two programs met was in 2016 with the Red Raiders crusing to a 69-17 victory. This will be the 4th meeting between the two schools, and when it comes to football the Lumberjacks are 0-3, in a it's never been close in the series type. But the good news is the program is on an up tick projectory when it comes to scoring in the series, so maybe SFA cracks the 20's in this one.

2001: 3-58
2013: 13-61
2016: 17-69

This will be SFA's 5th FBS matchup in their last 12 games, so there should be no intimidatition factor in the confines of Jones Stadium. The Jacks did fair pretty well against their FBS competition in 2020 and actually hung around in a few of those games with many opportunities to win.

Now, the defense will take a hit of another sort, when last Saturday night it came to not one, but two (questionable) targeting fouls late in the game that will render the Jacks of the services of two starting safeties, in MYLES HEARD and TREY RAMOS for the entire first half of the Tech game. But look at the positive, Heard and Ramos will have the freshes legs at the start of the second half when they re-enter the game.

Also, last Saturday night on ESPN, the Red Raiders in front of a crowd of over 43,000 fans at NRG Stadium took on the Cougars of the University of Houston. In that game we saw Houston jumped out quickly to a 21-7 lead going into halftime before Tech realed off 31 unanswered points in the second half scoring from all ends, in passing, rushing, as well as on defense with a pick six. The Red Raider defense held the high scoring Houston offense to 251 total yards on 73 plays, that's only 3.4 yards per play. Houston QB CLAYTON TUNE threw 4 picks and was sacked 4 times.

The main offense output from the Red Raiders came not from the pass, but from the run with sophomore #28 TAHJ BROOKS 5-10; 220 rushing for 134 yards on 15 carries (9.0 avg.) and 2 TDs. Through the air it was junior WR #13 ERIK EZUKANMA 6-3; 220 with his 7 receptions for 179 yards from Junior QB #12 TYLER SHOUGH 6-5; 225.

The defensive unit was led by senior linebacker #17 COLIN SCHOOLER 6-2; 230 with a team high 10 tackles 2 of those for a loss.

Maybe we see the Jacks that we saw in 2020 that made that trip to Memphis and hung with the Tigers up to the 4th quarter before getting gassed. Could we see the Jacks play that kind of inspired football again, or will we see this, being only the second game of the season, as well as the money game, with the coaching staff having more of a short leash on the starters and pulling them quickly if this gets out of hand fast?

And one can't help but to think about former SLC foe, HBU in their 2020 game with the Red Raiders just falling short (33-35) of a major upset.

Could we finally see SFA win a FBS game for the first time on over 20 years?

Axe'Em

SFASawmillGuy
Our biggest advantage here is that tech will overlook us. Our defense is really good, our offense will just need to step it up. Tech is gonna score, but we just need to hold them til the 4th and hopefully be in a winning position.
MasterAxe
I hold no grand illusions.

(1) Get our money
(2) Get out without injuries.

SFASawmillGuy
Don't get me wrong, the absolute most likely scenario is gonna be them exploiting offensive mismatches and jumping ahead very quickly.
However I think our defense is good enough that if we can catch them on an off day, and our offense plays like they have the potential to, we can make it a ballgame.
I think we continue the trend of playing competitively at the very least against FBS foes.
SFAJack_76
Our defense is really good. However, Heard and Ramos are out the first half due to the targeting calls.

Our depth, particularly in the secondary, gets tested early and often. Their Oregon QB transfer, Tyler Shough, can really spin the ball. Wide receiver Erik Ezukanma is most likely an early round draftee. Seven catches for 179 yards against UH.
nacluth
Receiving votes now!
SFA Jack Fanatic
Texas Tech is expecting a full house of 55,000 Saturday. Shaq O'Neill will be DJ'ing before the game during tailgating. Most Covid precautions have been lifted. Looks like it'll be just a gay old time in Lubbock.

It was interesting to read the article about this from a Lubbock TV station. They didn't even mention who Tech was playing!!! Guess we'll have to be party poopers.
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
Looks like we are just a tune-up for the Red Raiders this Saturday.

https://www.vivathematadors.com/2021/9/9/22664736/texas-tech-welcomes-stephen-f-austin-into-lubbock-tyler-shough-kendall-phipps-matt-wells-red-raiders
SFASawmillGuy
Wow that's one of the most biased, unprofessional articles I've read.
Is he right? Partially. Tech "should" win very soundly, and if they do it doesn't mean a single thing for our season. But this article gives absolutely zero insight, credit, or info on anything SFA is other than a lower subdivision opponent.
Now I hope we Portland State-UNT them.
TallTexan
Well it is a fan site.

But that seemed more like a gripe against their own team than ours:
Quote:

I'm not gonna sugar coat anything. Tech should destroy SFA. It should not be close. Key word here is should. We saw it last year against Houston Baptist. Another team that Tech should've obliterated, but instead had an absolute shootout with. These are the games that you dominate.

You don't pay a team 400k to show up because you want to be tested. You pay it for tuneups.

Let's get the paycheck, hope for no injuries, and see if we can get one of those SFA over Duke type wins for the football team.
SFAXE93
SFASawmillGuy

Why he gotta do this? Now all the Texas Tech students will want them to steal him away from us.
Buckytaylor
SFA_03 said:

Why he gotta do this? Now all the Texas Tech students will want them to steal him away from us.
True... the HC and several members of his staff have ties to the area. And the ability to recruit would be just what Texas Tech needs. But shhh!
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA_03 said:

My thoughts exactly.
SFASawmillGuy
Just reading the comments and retweet's, it worked…
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

Just reading the comments and retweet's, it worked…
Don't worry too much.

Tech's ego is too big to hire an FCS coach.
Jacks4460
Yep coach will have to win a championship and then TT will be calling..
djsfw57
I'm wondering who he's talking about buying the first round for. It seems clear to me that's addressed to students. Last time I checked, most undergrads are under age. I know, leave it to an old man think look at it that way, but I have serious issues with this idea. SERIOUS issues with it.
SFA, Class of 1979
SFAJack_76
djsfw57 said:

I'm wondering who he's talking about buying the first round for. It seems clear to me that's addressed to students. Last time I checked, most undergrads are under age. I know, leave it to an old man think look at it that way, but I have serious issues with this idea. SERIOUS issues with it.
1. Carthel will be headed to Nacogdoches after the game. He's not buying anybody a drink unless it's water or Gatorade for the players on the plane.
2. Cowpokes doesn't exist anymore.

TallTexan
djsfw57 said:

Judging by the replies I'm pretty sure that bar closed before most of the undergrads were born.
SFAXE93
Going to be rocking with 55,000 fans!

SFAJack_76
SFAXE93 said:

Going to be rocking with 55,000 fans!

Shaquille O'Neal is going to DJ outside the stadium before the game. Yes, that Shaquille O'Neal. Crowd could be more than 55,000.
SFAXE93
SFA Jack Fanatic
Tech is a 31.5 point favorite.
nacluth
Well we held them for a minute.
nacluth
Positive first drive.
nacluth
We don't need to punt today.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Kind of drive we need to keep the ball away from TT.

Unfortunately they said Ward is out so we need Reed to stay healthy today.
nacluth
Reed playing like a beast. Hope he was just winded.
nacluth
Should we go for it or kick the FG?
BigJack85
FG.
nacluth
Agree, but not to be.
nacluth
Great stop.
BigJack85
Nice defensive stand there.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.