GAME WEEK: WESTERN COLORADO

9,237 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TallTexan
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?

SFA (3-3) VS. WESTERN COLORADO (0-0)
GAME PROGRAM: https://sfajacks.com/publications/stephen-f-austin-vs-western-colorado-fb

WHEN: OCT. 31 (SAT.) 2:00 P.M.
WHERE: NACOGDOCHES, TEXAS (HOMER BRYCE STADIUM)
TV: ESPN3

And it's Halloween, but no trick, your SFA Lumberjacks are riding a 3-game win streak for the first time since the 2014 season and now going for 4 in row for the first time since 2011, giving you the fans a treat, your Lumberjacks back for another home game in Homer Bryce Stadium.

Enter division II Western Colorado from Gunnison, Colorado home of the Mountaineers from the RMAC (Rocky Mountain Athletics Conference) known for having the highest elevation for a collegiate football field (Mountaineer Bowl) at 7,750 feet. Lucky for us we do not have to make that climb.

SFA will be the season opener for WCU who opted for a 3-game fall season.

Head Coach Jas Bains enters this his 10th year at WCU after enjoying their best season in 21 year in conference play at 5-5. The 2016 Mountaineers won 7 games overall, the most wins in program history since 1998.

WCU returns several key players from that 2019 team starting with Junior QB Connor Desch 6-3; 190 returns passing for 1,217 yards and 7 TDs with 8 INTs in 2019 with a career game of 270 yards against Adams State.

Connors' favorite target senior wide out and all conference player James Bryant 6-1; 205 who last season caught 48 passes for 485 yards and 3 TDs also returns.

Leading rusher, senior Ty Leyba 5-5; 170 (not a typo) ran for 521 yards and 1 TD.

The defense returns leading tackler and all conference player linebacker Dominick Fletcher 6-0; 210 with 61 tackles as well as 2 INTs. In the secondary junior DB Darrious Gaines 6-2; 200 led the team in pass breakups with 8.

Look for several Lumberjacks to get some reps in this one as we gear up for the big showdown in Richmond with EKU.

Axe'Em
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
SFASawmillGuy
WCU is not a good program, even by D2 standards. What I would like to see is us run our ACU game plan on them, run up the score, and let everyone play.
An issue we had against Angelo State was we were trying way too hard for the big plays and not running our offense. Just run the offense, drive down the field, and put the ball in the end zone.
Defensively we will have no issues against them. As "bad" as our 3rd down defense has been let's not forget we aren't(other than SMU) letting teams score a lot.
Will Muschamp said when he was the defensive coordinator at Texas stats are for losers. He was more concerned with them not scoring. Their QB could have 400 yards passing but if they get held to only 10-14 points, defense did its job.
SFASawmillGuy
Other interesting notes. Their saying is Fear the Neers, which is hilarious.
This is their season opener.
This is the first time playing a SLC opponent since the 70s when they defeated UCA, though I believe UCA was D2 as well at that time.
The mountaineer Bowl stadium in Gunnison is smaller than some Six-Man stadiums I've seen.
Ljacks&Longnecks
I don't like to overlook anyone or play someone down because they are a lower classification......that said if this game is as easy as it sounds like it might be I hope we scatter the playing time and get everyone on the field. Our last 3 games will be much tougher and more competitive. E Kentucky is playing pretty well now after a weak start. Not sure about Pittsburgh St and then there is another FBS more than tough opponent in Memphis.
Let's get through W Colorado with more game experience and hopefully fewer injuries than ACU.
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93

BLACK OUT GAME SAT.

SFAXE93
Pitt State plays their first game this Saturday, so we should have some film to study after this weekend.
PurpleOut
Staff
May have been in the other threads, but does anyone have any injury updates from the past few weeks? Saw a few guys go down against ACU.
Jacks4460
I know we will have 3 Freshman RB's until and if McCowen comes back.. Pretty sure Ward is out for a while with the hand/wrist. Davis is our at safety. Tabow should be back against E Kentucky. I would think some of the guys that are banged up might just take this week off to recoup since we are playing down. Its gonna be a good opportunity to suit up some guys who have just been practicing all year and not getting alot of playing time...Dont see Rickel coming back... He was in a boot and is a damn tough player so to get him in a boot it had to hurt him pretty good..
PurpleOut
Staff
Awesome for Harmon, but looks like he's not practicing. He could barely walk off the field on Saturday.

SFAJack_76
Looked like his hamstring. He had ice on it when he came out of the tent.
SFA Jack Fanatic
You know there is zero enthusiasm for tomorrow's game when there have been no posts in two days. I hope the Jacks don't sleepwalk through it, too. I just drove 200 miles to watch.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Agree Fanatic that the forum is awful quiet about WC game. Course I'm guessing that their D2 status and their first game of year leaves most here expecting an easy win. Still after the way we won the ACU game would think there would be a little more pep about the team.
Course there is Halloween Saturday, Covid on the rise, election finally almost over so perhaps folks are busy with other things. I'll be watching on the old PC.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

You know there is zero enthusiasm for tomorrow's game when there have been no posts in two days. I hope the Jacks don't sleepwalk through it, too. I just drove 200 miles to watch.

We're excited to see your Coach Carthel Halloween costume at the game, does that count?
TallTexan
What channel is the game going to be on?
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

ESPN3
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

TallTexan said:

ESPN3

Thanks!
SFAJack_76
Really good site for channels and times.

http://lsufootball.net/tvschedule.htm
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
That HVAC never had a chance!

TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

That HVAC never had a chance!

This made me laugh harder than it probably should have.
SFAJack_76
Yesterday.
SFAJack_76
WC head coach.
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFA Jack Fanatic
To say the crowd today is sparse would be an understatement.
SFASawmillGuy
Man is there just no fixing our ESPN3 stream? Audio is still awful and the announcers are still hot garbage.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Fanatic, are you as lonely on the press box side as the student side looks on video?

Ljacks&Longnecks
Right about the broadcast again. I'm using Rob Meyers again instead. Right now it's almost in sync.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Well after having watched us against TCU, Miss St, TTech etc, I
m starting to feel bad for W Colorado.
That said we should surely see everybody that is healthy get playing time today.
SFASawmillGuy
I think we're winning...
SFASawmillGuy
Are we playing a 1A high school team?
SFA Jack Fanatic
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Fanatic, are you as lonely on the press box side as the student side looks on video?

It's a bit better here.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.