GAME WEEK: SMU

20,178 Views | 132 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFASawmillGuy
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?

SFA (0-2) VS. (RV) SMU (2-0)

WHEN: SEPT. 26 (SAT.) 6:00 P.M.
WHERE: DALLAS, TEXAS (GERALD FORD STADIUM)
TV: ESPN+

Riding high into this one you might say for the Mustangs of SMU who are coming off their 10-3 season of 2019 and starting the 2020 one with a 2-0 start.

Just off their good ole 65-35 butt whipping of cross town foe North Texas in front of 8,500 fans where SMU had an impressive 710 total yards of offense.

No doubt your defense is going to get a workout when it comes up against the Ponies' air attack lead by senior QB Shane Buechele who completed 24 passes for 344 yards and 4 TDs in the game against the Mean Green Saturday.

For the season, Buechele has completed 50 passes for 711 yards and 5 TDs with 2 INTs on 69 attempts.

Also, in the game on the ground SMU's redshirt freshman RB:#26 Ulysses Bentley IV 5-10; 184 rushed for 227 yards and 3 TDs, adding up to his 5 TDs on the year.

Two of Buechele's favorite targets are senior WR #8 Reggie Roberson Jr. 6-0; 200, 15 catches for 202 yards and 3 TDs and Sophomore WR #11 Rashee Rice 6-1; 189, with 203 yards on 10 catches.

Head Coach Sonny Dykes has done an amazing job of breathing life back into a once proud football program with a well seasoned team of 24 seniors and 28 juniors, making it all hands on deck for the Lumberjacks to try and stay in this one and have a chance to win late in the game.

There will be no room for error and an even greater need for longer offensive drives from Self and company to keep the Ponie's high power offense on the sidelines.

Axe'Em!

"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
SFAJack_76
SMU, by a lot, will be the best team we have played. Good pay day, hang in there, and don't get our young kids hurt.
SFAXE93
Yes I agree, hopefully Coach Dykes remembers that we are his late father's Alma Mater and calls off the dogs.
Jacks4460
SFAXE93 said:

Yes I agree, hopefully Coach Dykes remembers that we are his late father's Alma Mater and calls off the dogs.

They will be overlooking us and we will have some dudes back.. We will give them hell for 45 min I can promise you that..
SFAXE93
Can you say who we are getting back?
SFASawmillGuy
I think we have a respectable showing. This is the first game this season I will say we probably lose by multiple scores. SMU is just too deep on offense and defensively will be putting pressure on us.
Our only hope is if we can have a strong pass rush and we get some depth in the secondary back.
Gonna be a rough one I think. But I think we still look better than most think we will.
SFAXE93
SMU fans making their predictions...

"I have great respect for these FCS schools scheduling much more talented teams. This will be like a scrimmage for SMU and give the younger players some real game practice. Play well and be safe, 56 - 21."

"Mercy rule"

"We only play our regulars in the first half and it is somewhat competitive once we give our bench players some playing time."

"SFA is not good. I would love to see our D step up and force turnovers and 3-&-outs.

Ponies 52
Jumberlacks 24"

"62-28

Offense should be as potent as it was against n Texas teachers college"

SMU 63

SFA School of Forestry 17

Stangs 72

Jacks 20

62-28
SFAXE93
I don't think their defense is going to shut us down.

Texas State 31-24 (416 total yards)
North Texas 65-35 (517 total yards)
TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

Can you say who we are getting back?
Hopefully John Franklin Meyers, Jabara Williams, & Jeremy Moses if we're going to hang with them for 45 minutes.
Jacks4460
No names just some secondary players.. 1 on the DL and a few surprises..
Jacks4460
Anyone listen to the coaches radio show?
SFAXE93
Brandard Wright needs to get some reps.

The Wright and Williams Combo is the future.
SFASawmillGuy
I don't think we get destroyed like FBS games past but I find it funny they all expect us to have our best offensive game of the year.
SFAJack_76
Jacks4460 said:

No names just some secondary players.. 1 on the DL and a few surprises..
I'm not as positive as you are about who will be available. Hope I am wrong. We will see on Saturday.

As is allowed by the NCAA, we have a few guys that opted out this season. They aren't hurt, they just chose to not play.

Shorten the game, stay healthy, and get the check.
Jacks4460
Kris will be available in a larger capacity.. He played very little against UTSA.. Tabow didnt play against UTSA but warmed up.. I see him being available.. Those are two big ones.. Didnt think about the kids that decided to sit out this season..
MasterAxe
Let's be honest, were gonna get blasted.

But, you hope to see some improvements here and there.

The key is to get our money and don't get anyone long-term hurt.

Jacks4460
MasterAxe we will not get blasted... not sure how you define the term blasted but I think this game is gonna be within 2 scores... we will see..
SFA Jack Fanatic
MasterAxe said:

Let's be honest, were gonna get blasted.

I totally disagree. I have no illusions of knocking off SMU, but I don't see them "blasting" us. Not if we play at the same level we did vs. UTSA.
TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

MasterAxe we will not get blasted... not sure how you define the term blasted but I think this game is gonna be within 2 scores... we will see..
I hope you're right, but SMU is good. I'm thinking we're looking at 50-28 or so.
HJC69
Might as well throw in Larry Centers and Jerimia Trotter
SFASawmillGuy
And 50-28 honestly wouldn't be bad against SMU. Yeah giving up 50 will be a bad look from the outside looking in, but realistically SMU is gonna hang 50 on multiple FBS teams this year, and probably some really good ones. It's the nature of running an air raid attack.
I'd be more impressed by our offense putting up 28 against them.
SFAXE93
Shane B. throws picks, so I predict 3 INTS from the Jacks, maybe one of those a pick 6.
SFAJack_76
I don't disagree with most of John's take. He does have a few misses in there. For example, he mentions Coleman's game against UTEP, but doesn't mention he was out of the UTSA game due to injury. I would be surprised if he plays Saturday. If he isn't close to 100%, don't put him on the field against SMU.

cboothe09
I'll be interested to see if this game gets played.

UNT just cancelled against Houston because of four positive cases and contact tracing would leave them unable to field a team. UNT played SMU on Saturday. Hopefully the game still happens, but count me in as skeptical...
PonyUp82
cboothe09 said:

I'll be interested to see if this game gets played.

UNT just cancelled against Houston because of four positive cases and contact tracing would leave them unable to field a team. UNT played SMU on Saturday. Hopefully the game still happens, but count me in as skeptical...
For what it's worth, we had zero positive test on Monday after the UNT game.

cboothe09
Awesomeness...I really want to see this game get played
PonyUp82
cboothe09 said:

Awesomeness...I really want to see this game get played
Me too. I will say we are testing again today (no results yet) and then again on Friday. Fingers crossed that we stay at zero positive tests. Really sucks seeing these games get canceled every week. I want as much football as possible this Fall. I don't care who's playing.
TallTexan
How often do yall test?

Given the incubation period, I'd feel a lot better with Thursday/Friday tests than Sunday tests.
TallTexan
HJC69 said:

Might as well throw in Larry Centers and Jerimiah Trotter

Done:

PonyUp82
TallTexan said:

How often do yall test?

Given the incubation period, I'd feel a lot better with Thursday/Friday tests than Sunday tests.
Tests on Sunday after games. Then test again on Wednesday and Friday before the games. The Friday one is the rapid 15 minute results and then the team enters a "bubble" until game day.
SFAJack_76
PonyUp82 said:

TallTexan said:

How often do yall test?

Tests on Sunday after games. Then test again on Wednesday and Friday before the games. The Friday one is the rapid 15 minute results and then the team enters a "bubble" until game day.
SFA is also testing three times a week with the last one on Friday.
Pilotgirl
TallTexan said:

HJC69 said:

Might as well throw in Larry Centers and Jerimiah Trotter

Done:

Signing his new LOI...NICE!
TallTexan
PonyUp82 said:

TallTexan said:

How often do yall test?

Good to hear.

Looking forward to this Saturday.
PonyUp82
Zero positives after Wednesday's testing at SMU.
SFAJack_76
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.