Enhancing the SFA vs Northwestern State Rivalry

3,530 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TallTexan
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Was gonna put it on the game thread, but thought it would get lost & be distracting. Given the move to a weeknight game, lack of a tv broadcast, & general lack of interest in the SLC promoting it, I thought we might crowd-source some ideas on how to make the game a better draw.

So what are your best ideas for enhancing the rivalry?
PurpleOut
Staff
The first step is to not have it on a weekday. How many SFA fans will be there tonight? I doubt many. Last years attendance in Nac was 2,600. That's an average basketball game for us. It makes no sense to have a football game on a Thursday unless we have real TV coverage (which we don't).
TallTexan
2600? That's insane.

I'd consider driving to Natchitoches on a Saturday, for an afternoon game.

TallTexan
A few things that I think would enhance the game:
  • The rivalry needs a nickname
  • It needs a gimmick/new tradition to get a packed game, with fans from both sides.
  • Needs promotion on both sides of the border to hype it up

PurpleOut
Staff
Boom

TallTexan
Coach Carthel gets it. He's such a great hire.
TallTexan
Nickname Ideas: The Rowdy Reunion

Gimmicks/Traditions. Host a big BBQ or other food competition as part of the tailgate, invite teams from both regions to compete the morning of the game. Get local news anchors(one from Nac/Tyler/Shreveport) etc to judge, guaranteeing coverage.
65tosspowertrap
1) Move it up in the season schedule (the students are heading home for Thanksgiving, hence the deserted stands).

2) Always a daytime kickoff. The Louisiana folks hate daytime games, which is why daytime works. They'll just have to get up earlier to start drinking.

3) Blitz the campus with publicity. Instagram/Facebook/Twitter the hell out of it. All that social business they do on the interwebs.

4) Have a during-the-week ritual -- since we are playing the Demons, call it an "exorcism." To get students to pay attention, do it DURING THE DAY in front of the UC. Once the off-campus students leave, they're gone.

4) Get a corporate sponsor to offer something up...I mean go full PT Barnum, give everybody a free hamburger...cash prizes for stuff like the Dr. Pepper halftime thing they do at SEC title game.

OK, my meds are wearing off, so I'm done.

CM

"Just keep matriculatin' the ball down the field boys!" — Hank Stram

https://youtu.be/MnPr1R_QlTM
TallTexan
That's a good point, we shoulda played it last week and played HBU or UIW this week.
TallTexan
Step 1 to getting a better rivalry: establish bad blood.

Also, pretty makes the Rowdy Reunion a pretty great moniker.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.