Has is been 30 years?

5,272 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFAJack_76
65tosspowertrap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Remembering 1989. Larry Centers, Todd Hammel, Eric Wright, Chuck Rawlinson, Leo Araguz, etc. The Grambling game, surviving Furman in a blizzard, the heartbreak in Statesboro. And yes, the stupidity that caused the taint of NCAA violations (still can't forgive compliance officer). I was lucky to be there for all of it. my lord, what a season. 30 years ago! I swear I'm not that old...ok, I am that old...any other greybeards out there remember?

https://images.app.goo.gl/D8D8pAXLCYutoU7H7
"Just keep matriculatin' the ball down the field boys!" — Hank Stram

https://youtu.be/MnPr1R_QlTM
BigJack85
It has been. Ugh..........
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA Jack Fanatic
65tosspowertrap said:

Remembering 1989. Larry Centers, Todd Hammel, Eric Wright, Chuck Rawlinson, Leo Araguz, etc. The Grambling game, surviving Furman in a blizzard, the heartbreak in Statesboro. And yes, the stupidity that caused the taint of NCAA violations (still can't forgive compliance officer). I was lucky to be there for all of it. my lord, what a season. 30 years ago! I swear I'm not that old...ok, I am that old...any other greybeards out there remember?

Didn't see the Furman game on the road, but I was at the Grambling game (possibly the craziest SFA offensive game ever! Neither team could stop the other) and the Georgia Southern game. The better team didn't win that championship game. (I keep telling myself that I was only 5 years old back then...)
nacluth
I was 11, and we had just returned to Nac the previous year. Having grown up right behind Texas Stadium and living through the 80's with the Cowboys, a football that could win was so exciting to get behind. I was riveted to the radio in my dad's bedroom with every twist and turn in that title game. I was sure we would win and was heartbroken when we didn't.
65tosspowertrap
24 years old, worked with (and learned a ton from ) Robert Hill in SID office, and witnessed that incredible season. Grambling game still most incredible football experience I've ever witnessed (and I've been fortunate to see some great ones through the years. There are so many great memories from that year. Humiliating North Texas in Denton, the "Boise Walk-Away" play vs. Sam Houston. The wild win over NE Louisiana to win the conference title. And then the playoffs.

I wish like all get out that there was video of at least some of that season (other than the Ga. Southern game, which is on YouTube). Would gladly pay for video.

Great year. Lucky to be there.

CM

RedRiverLa
You win my vote for best forum name.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
AxeEm99
Think about the number of coaches that have riden the Merry go round at SFA since 1989!! All in the name of winning! The administration and AD actually have ruined the football program. Hopefully Carthel and Ivey can turn it around!!
BigJack85
randybass said:

Think about the number of coaches that have riden the Merry go round at SFA since 1989!! All in the name of winning! The administration and AD actually have ruined the football program. Hopefully Carthel and Ivey can turn it around!!

The one that stands out to me is John Pearce. We should have kept him. He was solid , rarely had stupid losses and ran a clean program. I wasn't sure about letting him go at the time and time has proven it was probably a mistake.
AxeEm99
BigJack85, I 100% agree! I was fortunate to be able to visit with him frequently while working on the coaches shows at Fredonia Hill 21, and he was a class act!!
65tosspowertrap
RedRiverLa said:

You win my vote for best forum name.
Thank you, RedRiverLa. Showing my age and bias, I guess. Not many get the reference any longer because it was so long ago (the last time KC won the Super Bowl). To this day the most famous play in Chiefs' history.

If you ever get a chance to watch the old NFL Films Super Bowl IV highlights, Hank Stram put on a sideline performance for the ages (link below). To this day (again, I'm old!) my idol is Len Dawson. I was number 16 in every sandlot Sunday afternoon game...

Super Bowl IV - NFL Films

Have a great one, and -- as ever -- Axe 'Em Jacks.

65tosspowertrap
BigJack85 said:

randybass said:

The one that stands out to me is John Pearce. We should have kept him. He was solid , rarely had stupid losses and ran a clean program. I wasn't sure about letting him go at the time and time has proven it was probably a mistake.
Agreed. Never quite figured out how that happened.

TallTexan
65tosspowertrap said:

This reminds me that we need the Athletic department to partner with the film department to create a series of SFA "30 for 30" style videos.

Among things I want to see.

The Silas Era teams
This football season that happened before I was born
The Underwood years
The great Women's basketball teams

And non sports related but I would love to see a documentary on SFA being a party school back in the day. Older friends & family mentioned it every time they learned you were going to SFA, but the SFA I know was peaceful & quiet.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

65tosspowertrap said:

This reminds me that we need the Athletic department to partner with the film department to create a series of SFA "30 for 30" style videos.

Among things I want to see.

The Silas Era teams
This football season that happened before I was born
The Underwood years
The great Women's basketball teams

And non sports related but I would love to see a documentary on SFA being a party school back in the day. Older friends & family mentioned it every time they learned you were going to SFA, but the SFA I know was peaceful & quiet.

My appearance (1980-85) was quite eventful. You can bet that SFA was the big party school. I think we along with UT and Texas State (then SWTSU) were probably the biggest party schools. We're number 1!
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

72-76. It was peaceful, but not so quiet. Protests took place, but were mild. Streaking was rampant with a big event facilitated by the administration by blocking off College Drive between Steen and East College Cafeteria one evening. Pictures were in "Life" magazine.

https://news.tulane.edu/news/streaking-craze "Tulane's streak-ins were mild compared to other campuses. The campus credited with the first streak-in was Stephen F. Austin State University in Nacogdoches, Texas. At that school, so the story goes, there were so many streaking students that the president designated a sanctioned streaking day in 1974, which accomplished absolutely nothing. The streaking continued."

Dorm 14 was appropriately nicknamed the Zoo. Don't inhale while walking past the units ... unless you want. The legal drinking age was lowered to 18 in September, 1973. Multi band concert on the field of Homer Bryce, with coolers and a low hanging "fog."

Or, so I heard from my dorm 16 room where I was studying.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.