2019 Season

33,047 Views | 113 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Kickers pump iron too ...
SFA Jack Fanatic
Anyone know when 'Texas Football' magazine comes out? I'm ready for some dadgum football!!
SFAJack_76
Not much here, but worth a post.
SFASawmillGuy
SFAJack_76 said:

Not much here, but worth a post.

Geez. 10th in the Southland seems harsh. Makes it easier for Carthel to win coach of the year when we win the conference though
PurpleOut
Staff
New poll up on the home page.
SFASawmillGuy
PurpleOut said:

New poll up on the home page.

Well to discuss said poll. I think Nicholls wins the conference. I think they're the best team. Have the best setup. They maybe lose 1 or 2 conference games but I think they cruise.

Second place will be more interesting because literally every team with the exception of HBU can make a case for why they'll be contending. UIW will be good. I don't think they'll be as good, but they'll be solid again. I think Sam's reign as conference ruler is over, but they'll still be good. McNeese is historically good at rebuilding. They'll be back. UCA hasn't had a bad season since they became a D1 school. ACU has been threatening since they moved up. NWST decided they're tired of sucking and developed and offense. SELA is always tough. And Lamar might be good.

And then there's us. This team is loaded with talent, and almost looks nothing like last years team. New offense. New defense. New quarterback(most likely). Who knows. With all the excitement we may have enough to put us in the mix for a playoff spot. I'm of the mindset that 6-5 would be a very successful first season, but I also think there's a couple of games we sneak away with. Who knows. So to be optimistic I say 2-4th place finish.

I'm ready for some football.
TallTexan
What's the betting odds on SFA at 10th? I'd take the over on that.
TallTexan
Tamrick included.

SFA Jack Fanatic
I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but the Jacks are also picked 10th in Dave Campbell's Texas Football magazine.

IMO, I'll be shocked if the Jacks don't finish 5th or higher. That would be a great launching pad from which to build the top-notch program we deserve.
BigJack85
They (SFA) looks to me like a 6-5 squad. Sure they got blown out in a couple games last year but in many of the losses we looked capable of winning. Last years team with a more complete and prepared staff would have won 3-4 games. I think this team will be 3-4 games better than last year. My guess is we win 6 on the final game if the season.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
Hopefully, the end of the season list looks different. These three certainly make sense, although I could argue for Ward and Pace on first team.
TallTexan
Tamrick and Alize belong on first team.

Between this and the basketball selections, I'm starting to think this conference doesn't like us much.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

Between this and the basketball selections, I'm starting to think this conference doesn't like us much.

Can't speak for the university, but for SFA fans and alumni, the feeling about the SLC is mutual X10.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Let em pick us low...when the axes start flying they won't know what hit em.
SFAJack_76
I like it!
Cat Herder
All of these prognosticators are scared to put us anywhere but near the bottom. Rough last few years, regime change, etc.. None of them have the guts to even put us in the middle of the pack. The coaching staff has this team working their tails off and nothing is similar to the recent past. We will see a much different product both on and off the field. The hard work will pay off and it will be fun to watch!
SFASawmillGuy
At minimum, we're 6-5, and that's with our tough schedule. The next season. SLC outright champions.
Jacks4460
SFA_03 said:

At minimum, we're 6-5, and that's with our tough schedule. The next season. SLC outright champions.
I am with you...Loved seeing 3 Qb's zip the ball around tonight..Coach has SLC media day I believe this coming week. Taking Jake and Alize with him..We got some good coaches that get it...Saw some recruits today that were scary good...Some offers went out to a couple today that almost brought tears to the kids... They are recruiting the right type of kids also.. Tonight was the RB/LB OL/DL in the morning is the QB DB WR-TE and specialty players on Sunday am.. These coaches work their asses off...Very organized its like a well oiled machine every coach knew their responsibilites to help make the camp run smoothly...And that recruiting class man do they look good to the eye.. What I really liked seeing was most of the team at the camp watching and helping or just being present..You could tell they liked each other and got along..The OL is starting to look better to the eye.. Stoner has been doing his magic... He will have these kids in good shape I promise you... Almost 100% of the team has been working out and going to school this summer which is huge becasue it is an extra expense to the University but with people giving to Purple Lights they are able to use those funds for paying tution and room and board for the scholarship players.. Its a win win to me because if it helps keep the kids here in Nacogdoches to work out with Coach Stoner and follow his conditioning requirements and it helps the kid achive the ultimate goal which is his SFASU degree with being able to take 3-6 hours per summer session.. Having the team in San Antonio was the #1 thing coach Morriss said helped him turn the team into what they were last year..Things are lookin up Jack fans...
SFAJack_76
Greatly appreciate the update and insight Jacks4460. One would be tempted to suggest you might be looking through purple tinted glasses, but I believe you are generally pretty skeptical until you see what you see.

Looking forward to a football season for the first time in several years.
MasterAxe
SFA_03 said:

As much as I want to believe you, we are making assumptions based on nothing. We've yet to see a competitive down played. We've yet to see our coaches make any in-game decisions. We've yet to see anything actually relating to a real game.

I'd take 6 wins in a heartbeat, but lets pump the breaks until we actually see something.

To say 6 wins means that we expect our new staff to overcome a TON of the issues we had last year and do it a much shorter time frame. I'm ok with tempering our expectations a bit until we actually see us play a competitive down.
drhuggybear
Six wins would be an amazing turn around. I want to see improvement. See that coach is righting the ship. I want to see that the players aren't on the sideline with their head down like they were for most of last season.

I am looking forward to seeing them back on the field.
Jeff
Axe'Em Jacks
SFAJack_76
Turn arounds in FCS can be accomplished quickly with the right staff, talent, and support. Look at what UIW did last year going from 1-10, 1-7 in SLC, in 2017, to 6-5, 6-1 in SLC, in 2018. Of course there is a long way to go, but I choose to be optimistic until proven wrong as opposed to the other approach. I think six wins is possible.
MasterAxe
SFAJack_76 said:

Turn arounds in FCS can be accomplished quickly with the right staff, talent, and support. Look at what UIW did last year going from 1-10, 1-7 in SLC, in 2017, to 6-5, 6-1 in SLC, in 2018. Of course there is a long way to go, but I choose to be optimistic until proven wrong as opposed to the other approach. I think six wins is possible.
Look, I agree that 6 wins is possible. But, what I am saying is there is more to a "successful" season than a definitive amount of wins.

Say we win just 3 or 4 but we LOOK competent. We compete, our coaches are consistent and our players don't quit. That is still an uber-successful season, even though we didnt reach a certain amount of wins.

My optimism lies not with the amount of wins we achieve, but the way we look while playing.
BigJack85
MasterAxe said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Look, I agree that 6 wins is possible. But, what I am saying is there is more to a "successful" season than a definitive amount of wins.

Say we win just 3 or 4 but we LOOK competent. We compete, our coaches are consistent and our players don't quit. That is still an uber-successful season, even though we didnt reach a certain amount of wins.

My optimism lies not with the amount of wins we achieve, but the way we look while playing.

Good points. I'm optimistic we'll exceed expectations. Agree that the number of wins is not the key metric "this year". Your on solid footing to say that looking competent and building a real "team".
SFASawmillGuy
I think 6 wins is a minimum because that's what I expect from our athletic program. Even with JC Harper, who I was highly critical of, even during his good years, I though 6 was a minimum. We should always be a top tier southland athletics program. Not just in basketball, in all aspects.
I have high expectations but I think that's how programs get to the level of a NDSU, an Alabama, that's just how a program gets there. Everyone around expects to win. I don't have delusions that we're gonna win the conference or anything. It'll take us 3-4 years before we can establish a program that preseason we can without a doubt say can compete for a natty. But I think we can start by saying we can have an above .500 record, even with a new coach and mostly new team from last year.

This team is loaded with talent; and also will be facing a boatload of adversity and a ton of struggles. I still think that SFA should be able to stand on its own.

As far as last year, last year was irrelevant. We were thrown into the most lose lose scenario ever. We had no head coach. No game planning. No leadership. The team was lost all because Clint Conque ruined it for us. Had Clint been our coach last year, I think we have a decent to good season. As it stands, we're where we are.

Still think there's reason to be hopeful.
SfaFan15
Does anyone who has seen the team in person have any idea what the QB competition looks like?

Going into the sporing game I was thinking it was between Cam Arnold and Trae Self, but I know that Blumrick is going to be the offensive delegate at SLC Media Days, and I also know that Preston Weeks has some talent but got to campus last among the QBs. We'll find out soon enough, just wondering if anyone had any insight.
MasterAxe
SfaFan15 said:

Does anyone who has seen the team in person have any idea what the QB competition looks like?

Going into the sporing game I was thinking it was between Cam Arnold and Trae Self, but I know that Blumrick is going to be the offensive delegate at SLC Media Days, and I also know that Preston Weeks has some talent but got to campus last among the QBs. We'll find out soon enough, just wondering if anyone had any insight.
Reckless Speculation (my specialty) is that Jake gets first crack but we see the others quickly.

Judging the play based on Baylor will be probably the wrong way to go, but a combination of how each plays against a superior team and then again the next week against "inferior" team would be the basis for judgement.

It's really who starts the 3rd game at SUU that will be the sign of who has taken the reigns.
Jacks4460
Trae will be the starter with Weeks and Arnold competing for back up role..
MasterAxe
Jacks4460 said:

Trae will be the starter with Weeks and Arnold competing for back up role..

And Jake? I'd assume he plays a role this year and not bounced to 4th string.
BigJack85
I think your correct. I expect Blumrick to start most of the first 4-5 games and then see Trae OR Cam take 30%-40% of the snaps going down the home stretch. If we are a total lost cause I would guess the transition starts earlier in the season and that the understudies would be getting the majority of the snaps after game 5.
SFASawmillGuy
I think Jake sits as the 3rd QB on the depth chart. He's been massively inconsistent and looked incredibly uncomfortable for most of his tenure here. Don't get me wrong, the dude is an amazing leader and probably has the best attitude of anyone on the team. I've met Jake multiple times and he is an awesome dude and would make an outstanding coach, but as far as his ability I think Cam or Trae are a better way to go.

I think him being the offensive representative at the media day doesn't reflect his role on the team. His role will be to use his experience and his leadership to help the team, but help them mostly from the sidelines.

Of course we won't know until fall camp starts if that's true, if there's still a QB competition looming, or if Jake is still the starter.
Jacks4460
SFA 03 I feel you are spot on.. Jake is the ultimate team player.. I was so wrong on the young man last year critiquing his play on the field... He sacrificed his body I don't know how many times..I would bet he is the most respected player in the locker room..and like 03 said his role will be more of a leadership role.. I think Jake deserves to be at media day, he has earned it and I think coach realizes the same..
MasterAxe
I think it's wildly unfair for people to say "last year is irrelevant," then judge Jake on last year.

He was put in an unbelievably horrible spot and played his ass off.

I think he gets first crack as starter.
Jacks4460
Now that coach has said it... Jake is out for the year.. Back has given out...thats why just didnt want to say..
SFAJack_76
Jacks4460 said:

Now that coach has said it... Jake is out for the year.. Back has given out...thats why just didnt want to say..
Too bad for Jake. Helps to explain why they signed so many QB's. Since he already used his RS, I suppose he could ask for a medical sixth season, but guessing he won't?
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.