Game Thread: Purple vs White Spring Game

7,572 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by RedRiverLa
SFASawmillGuy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's game day lumberjacks. I figured we needed an official thread to talk about our new look lumberjacks and how they look so we can have our compliments and gripes.
SFAJack_76
nacluth
I'll be out of town today, but I would like some feedback from anyone attending. Three years back I took two of my daughters up to the game. During the game (probably because of minimal crowd noise/PA), it was a constant barrage of profanity yelled by the coaching staff at players.

Now I know that we have a different staff and I hope my note made a difference at the time, but I haven't gone back yet. It's not the kind of environment I want to expose my kids to. I have some family friends coming down to watch their son play, but I would like to hear about the atmosphere and if it's family friendly after the game.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

I'll be out of town today, but I would like some feedback from anyone attending. Three years back I took two of my daughters up to the game. During the game (probably because of minimal crowd noise/PA), it was a constant barrage of profanity yelled by the coaching staff at players.

Now I know that we have a different staff and I hope my note made a difference at the time, but I haven't gone back yet. It's not the kind of environment I want to expose my kids to. I have some family friends coming down to watch their son play, but I would like to hear about the atmosphere and if it's family friendly after the game.

Coach Carthel is a devout Christian, so I don't think he will allow that to be happening now.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA_03 said:

It's game day lumberjacks. I figured we needed an official thread to talk about our new look lumberjacks and how they look so we can have our compliments and gripes.

Great idea, 03. I'm a couple of hundred miles away and can't make it, so I really want to know how the team is shaping up, even if it's only one or two Sawmillers commenting.

As many of us probably are, I'm particularly interested in how the QB's and both lines perform. Also, what kinds of offensive and defensive sets are used.
BigJack85
I've got some friends related to Cam Arnold. I'm interested in his progress
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
Thought we were going to attend, but didn't work out. Looking forward to comments.
TallTexan
For those on Twitter, Devin's giving nearly play by play updates. :

SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
SFASawmillGuy
Any thoughts on the new look lumberjacks?
SFAXE93
Cam Arnold 11-15; 151 yards
Tre Self 8-20; 143 yards 1 TD

Borders REC 5; 113 Yards
SFASawmillGuy
SFAXE93 said:

Cam Arnold 11-15; 151 yards
Tre Self 8-20; 143 yards 1 TD

Borders REC 5; 113 Yards

If Arnold wins the starting job we may have a really good thing going for us. Anytime you can get a QB for 4 years, you have the potential to do some amazing things.
purplitis72
Did Plumber play?
RedRiverLa
I assuming there is no video of the game that will posted later on the SFA page, youtube, facebook, etc.?
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
SFA71
I went to the Spring Game Saturday night .
The Pros'
The team both offensively and defensively look very good.
Good offensive schemes with a good mixture of pass and runs
Very few penalties
Excellent kicking game.. Storm Ruiz will be missed after this year but the backups seemed capable.
McGowen looked really impressive to me
The Seniors... I walked through the autograph area where the seniors were signing posters. Every one of them was extremely polite and courteous. Very refreshing to see such politeness
. The coaching staff looked [or were] very organized and did spend their time yelling at player but did actual coaching during the game.
I visited with Coach Carthel after the game and he comes across and a genuinely good person and appears to have the SFA program headed in the direction. I liked the fact that he stayed back and let the people he hired do the job that he had hired them to do.

The Cons
I don't know who hired the guy who did the announcing, but he was worthless
He never said the names of any player other than the QB , the receivers, the running back and the person who made a tackle. There was plenty of time before and during the game where he could hav introduced the players. The lines, both offensive and defensive, the backs, etc. When QB's were changed the only way you could tell who they were was when the threw a pass. The numbers listed on the team roster on the SFA web site are wrong. I hate going to a HS football game and hear all the band officers, drill team officers , etc named, but not a word about the people I came to see i.e. the players
Most of the time he was playing rap music except when a pass or run occurred and then he turn the music back on as soon as the play was made.
During the half time former players were called down to the field. None of the players were named nor the years they played except for Franklin who played in the last Super Bowl. At the State Basketball tournament, players from previous champions are brought to the floor and introduced . If you are not going to announce who they were, why bring them down to the field.. There was plenty of time to gather the information.
During the game, he twice had someone go and talk to fans about nothing. A little creativity would have been nice.
The repeated attempts to use the 'dance cam' was a joke. Virtually no one danced. Once while the dancing was going on, what little there was, the camera operator was showing the top of the press box and the clouds. He kept aiming his camera for a minute after the live feed went off.
Scoring was a mystery to me and I feel, most of the crowd. I didn't know how points were made until I got home and read on here how he defense had made points. Would it have been too much for him to announce why points were being given. He could also have announced the form the game was taking. Number of plays etc.

Overall, the day was a good experience that could have been a great one with a much better PA man.
Jacks4460
SFA71 said:

The Pros'
Very few penalties
Excellent kicking game.. Storm Ruiz will be missed after this year but the backups seemed capable.
The Seniors... I walked through the autograph area where the seniors were signing posters. Every one of them was extremely polite and courteous. Very refreshing to see such politeness
. The coaching staff looked [or were] very organized and did spend their time yelling at player but did actual coaching during the game.
I visited with Coach Carthel after the game and he comes across and a genuinely good person and appears to have the SFA program headed in the direction. I liked the fact that he stayed back and let the people he hired do the job that he had hired them to do.

The Cons
He never said the names of any player other than the QB , the receivers, the running back and the person who made a tackle. There was plenty of time before and during the game where he could hav introduced the players. The lines, both offensive and defensive, the backs, etc. When QB's were changed the only way you could tell who they were was when the threw a pass. The numbers listed on the team roster on the SFA web site are wrong. I hate going to a HS football game and hear all the band officers, drill team officers , etc named, but not a word about the people I came to see i.e. the players
Most of the time he was playing rap music except when a pass or run occurred and then he turn the music back on as soon as the play was made.
During the half time former players were called down to the field. None of the players were named nor the years they played except for Franklin who played in the last Super Bowl. At the State Basketball tournament, players from previous champions are brought to the floor and introduced . If you are not going to announce who they were, why bring them down to the field.. There was plenty of time to gather the information.
During the game, he twice had someone go and talk to fans about nothing. A little creativity would have been nice.
The repeated attempts to use the 'dance cam' was a joke. Virtually no one danced. Once while the dancing was going on, what little there was, the camera operator was showing the top of the press box and the clouds. He kept aiming his camera for a minute after the live feed went off.
Scoring was a mystery to me and I feel, most of the crowd. I didn't know how points were made until I got home and read on here how he defense had made points. Would it have been too much for him to announce why points were being given. He could also have announced the form the game was taking. Number of plays etc.

Overall, the day was a good experience that could have been a great one with a much better PA man.
SFA71 thanks for coming to the game and rooting on our Jacks.. the gentleman on the mic is one of the best employees we have at the University.. THis was an inpromptu thing that got thrown into his lap... He is very good at what he does I wouldnt trade him for anyone.. He usually has a camera in his hands but saturday it was a mic. I am sure with a little more practice he will get better.. maybe next year we will have the whole crew together and there will not be so much newness to everything...I am with you on the numbers and the roster but here in a few days we will know the roster heading into fall because some cuts will be made.. Rap music is what the kids like to listen to while warming up and playing.. so we try to give the kids what every will make them excited and hyped up to play.. I think the whole Alumni thing except for John wasnt even planned.. We had close to 50 letterman come in for the game and the funny thing about it is that none of them knew each other was coming... So the introduction of the letterman was an inpromptu thing also.. Now that coach is here the media/technical people will know how to produce a gameday type atmosphere and they will know exactly how coach wants it... I tell you I was totally blown away by the event.. We had over 200 recruits and their family eating crawfish (coach Wally kicked serious ass) and burgers and sausage links(made by CC Smokehouse).. These kids were from some powerhouse schools too like Atascosita,NorthShore,Dallas Skyline.. Thanks for your imput and I promise you our guys will get better and next years spring game will be a little less impromptu.. AxeEM
SFASawmillGuy
SFA71 said:

The Pros'
Very few penalties

The Cons

I love that the only cons aren't even about the team. Lol.
Who do you think has a lead in the QB battle?
Jacks4460
Trae will be the starter..
"QB is the deepest postition we have" "All 3 can play"
SFAJack_76
Jacks4460 said:

What separates him from the other two?
Jacks4460
SFAJack_76 said:

Jacks4460 said:

What separates him from the other two?
his legs... mobility is really good and he has a little speed once he tucks it and runs...couldnt really see him turn it loose in the spring game because it was 2 handed touch on the QB but in practice when there is no 2 handed touch it is evident he is alot harder to bring down than either of our other two.. All 3 QB's the coaches are happy with.. Like I said they told me it was their deepest postition and that is always good to know.. Jake has had some one on one tuteledge time with Coach May and it has done wonders for him.. Jake is a leader.. Great attitude, work ethic,no *****ing,just wants to win and will be sucessful in life..
SFASawmillGuy
I think Trae and Cam are the two front runners right now. Jake is a leader and that'll be his role this season but I think he'll be sitting behind at least one of the other two. Cam has a high ceiling, makes great throws and decisions already, and can potentially be an eventual Walter Payton award type QB.
Trae's athleticism though is unreal. Think Zach Conque in terms of athleticism but instead of being a big strong runner he's a fast shifty runner.
I'd be comfortable with either guy leading our team.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Great comments by both 71 and 4460. Hopefully some folks "in the know" will read this, take it as constructive feedback, and do a better job next spring. Hearing that there were so many HS juniors there is fabulous!

I'm still in the dark about what kind of offense and defense we'll be running this Fall. Single Wing? Wishbone? Veer? Run 'n Shoot? (You can tell I'm old school...)
SFAJack_76
Appreciate the comments on the QB's.
SFASawmillGuy
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Great comments by both 71 and 4460. Hopefully some folks "in the know" will read this, take it as constructive feedback, and do a better job next spring. Hearing that there were so many HS juniors there is fabulous!

I'm still in the dark about what kind of offense and defense we'll be running this Fall. Single Wing? Wishbone? Veer? Run 'n Shoot? (You can tell I'm old school...)

I'd say a pro style pistol set. That's been Carthel's bread and butter and he's had obvious success with it.
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

Trae's athleticism though is unreal. Think Zach Conque in terms of athleticism but instead of being a big strong runner he's a fast shifty runner.
Lol. Think of a Mack Truck, but instead, a rally car!
SFA71
I'm not sure of the name but of the two qb's that I saw, but, the one who came in second seem to do a better job overall I know there was a # 2 and a # 12 but, as I said, I don't remember the names. I'm more of a visual retention learner than an oral retainer.
RedRiverLa
SFA71 said:

I'm not sure of the name but of the two qb's that I saw, but, the one who came in second seem to do a better job overall I know there was a # 2 and a # 12 but, as I said, I don't remember the names. I'm more of a visual retention learner than an oral retainer.
'Oral retainer' - I think that's a first for the board. 5 Sawmill bonus points.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.