Spring Football 2019

11,570 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFASawmillGuy
Cat Herder
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Figured we needed a thread dedicated to spring ball now that things are starting to crank up.

Good luck to the student athletes this week and for the remainder of the spring! #BelieveInTheVision
SFAJack_76
Cat Herder
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
Hell week.
Cat Herder
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
SFASawmillGuy
Been hearing a lot of positive things about Cam Arnold. Still a long way to go but sounds like he's getting a jump on the QB battle.
SFAJack_76
Jacks4460

Another great job by Travis Turner and our production crew... Hard working dudes... Went to this practice and was really happy with what I saw... Still have a long way to go but man did they work their tails off..
Jacks4460
SFA_03 said:

Been hearing a lot of positive things about Cam Arnold. Still a long way to go but sounds like he's getting a jump on the QB battle.
Self,Jake,Cam,Saw... Self has some wheels too...
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks4460 said:

Another great job by Travis Turner and our production crew... Hard working dudes... Went to this practice and was really happy with what I saw... Still have a long way to go but man did they work their tails off..

How do you see the QB competition playing out, 4460?
Jacks4460
Self really does have wheels that Jake doesnt have. Right now it is a close race for the starting position.. I see great competition coming from all 3 Jake,Trae, and Cam with Jake and Trae being the top 2. Trae can really spin the ball too.. Coaches love Jakes effort and relentless determination to get better.. Now that Jake has a position coach that has produced a Harlon Hill Award winning QB it will really help I am sure and we might see some big jumps.. The mobility of Self is what will set him apart from Jake and he will be the starter I feel.. We are in good shape at QB with the top 2.. Cam is working his tail off and will be a hell of a backup QB.. The other kid Reece Shaw is a JC transfer and a great student comes and will be the #4 man..
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks4460 said:

Self really does have wheels that Jake doesnt have. Right now it is a close race for the starting position.. I see great competition coming from all 3 Jake,Trae, and Cam with Jake and Trae being the top 2. Trae can really spin the ball too.. Coaches love Jakes effort and relentless determination to get better.. Now that Jake has a position coach that has produced a Harlon Hill Award winning QB it will really help I am sure and we might see some big jumps.. The mobility of Self is what will set him apart from Jake and he will be the starter I feel.. We are in good shape at QB with the top 2.. Cam is working his tail off and will be a hell of a backup QB.. The other kid Reece Shaw is a JC transfer and a great student comes and will be the #4 man..

Do you think any of the incoming freshmen QB's could possibly get into the picture in the Fall, or are they redshirt material?
Jacks4460
Redshirt... Which is a really good thing for a QB or an OL...
SFASawmillGuy
I wouldn't be mad if Self got the spot. As much crap as Zach Conque got having a mobile QB really opens up your playbook. I think Self could bring a dimension to really help us out against teams with good pass rushes.
I love Jake to death. Dude is a competitor and it has absolutely showed. He's taken more punishment than any SFA QB probably that I've ever seen and he won't give up. And he's definitely improved. But he's also been super inconsistent and still hasn't looked like he's ready to come in and be a playmaker. He's good at limiting mistakes. But I'd rather see a QB who's more willing to push the ball downfield. Jake does it sometime, but he's been a checkdown king(Alex Smith like) since he's been here. If he takes more risks, Jake can be great.
Cam is a competitor too. Very much a prototype.

I hope we know a starter by the end of the spring game though. The more practice our QB1 has with the starters, the better they'll be against Baylor.
MasterAxe
Lots of talk about the mobility of the QB's.

I'd like to offer a responsible opposing viewpoint: It may not matter.

Let's assume Carthel brings a similar offensive system to what he had at TAMU-CC.

In that system, in the final two years (2017 and 2018), the primary QB ran a total of 117 times. They played 28 games in those two years, that is just over 4 carries a game. Basically, none.

That being said, they threw 1,053 passes over the same 28 games...nearly 38 times.

They averaged 8.2 yards and 7.2 yards per attempt those two years.

SFA, last year, averaged 6.1 yard per attempt.

So, QB mobility may not be as important as we think.

If he's bringing the same system, the running game is dominated by...wait for it...running backs. His QB's are, overwhelmingly, used strictly for passing.

So the starting QB may not be the one with most mobility, but, to me, seems more likely the one that excels in the accuracy department and being accurate while pushing the ball downfield.

*Stats compiled from TAMU-CC website (For those doubting authenticity).
Jacks4460
The mobility I am talking about is being able to avoid the rush not necessarily calling a run play for him..The D will have to respect his scrambling abilities by maybe keeping a LB in to spy on him or something like that... SFA03 made a great point in that Trae will take more chances down the field than Jake does.. Jake also hasnt had an adequate OL in front of him to give him the time to get the ball downfield either... We need to get the ball down the field...
SfaFan15
I haven't seen these guys play in person, but on film I think Self and Arnold are the top candidates with Self getting my vote for prospective starter. I think our offensive line will be better than years past, but I can only imagine that whoever is taking snaps will need to be able to scramble and hit targets on the run as well as be dynamic enough to get up field using their feet if everything falls apart. I say this with consideration to the fact that Carthel hasn't built the program to his specs yet and the skill sets may not align to the playbook that is going to be implemented.

I also think Self has big time arm strength from the film I've seen, I'm guessing a lot of that can be contributed to being a strong baseball player in the past. In terms of accuracy, I think everyone is about neck and neck, but again, Self certainly has the ability to be able to put the ball where it needs to be and away from defenders.

My guess is that we see a lot of Self, Arnold, and Blumrick in the spring game with the reigns ultimately being handed over to Self come kick off time in the fall.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Great comments by both 4460 and 15. We shall see....
SFAJack_76
Jacks4460
I thought this was really good... As you know our revolving door at WR coach.. This might of been mentioned somewhere not sure.. I watched him work his group and he is a really good coach.. Always communicating with his players and "coaching them up"... He has some good credintials just not alot of coaching experience but he really coached well...

TallTexan
Had no idea who our WR coach was. 5 years in the NFL? I'll take it.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Had no idea who our WR coach was. 5 years in the NFL? I'll take it.

Me neither. No announcement of any sort, and he is not on the posted roster.
drhuggybear
I am really getting excited about this upcoming season. Other than only 4 home games ... grr on that one.
SFASawmillGuy
Maybe that means 5-6 home games next year!
SFASawmillGuy
Anyone make it out to NHS for the practice/scrimmage?
TallTexan
SFASawmillGuy
Heard from a friend who's been watching the past few practices that it appears Self has been getting the majority of the snaps with the starting unit. Maybe a starter has already been named.
SFAJack_76

TallTexan

In case any of yall have chainsaws.
Ljacks&Longnecks
You gotta love this guy.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.