BOTPW Venue

7,870 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TallTexan
SFASawmillGuy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So, before I start this, know that I absolutely would rather this be a home-home series. Both Homer Bryce and Bowers would be absolutely packed for this game and the atmosphere would be very intense. However if it is going to continue to be a neutral site game, maybe NRG isn't the best place to play it.

Don't get me wrong, the first couple seasons playing in an NFL stadium it was fun and the NRG staff is super friendly and accommodating. Plus I live in the medical center so I can walk to the stadium faster than driving. But I think the more than half empty stadium does take away from the environment.

My idea for a change in venue would be BBVA Compas Stadium in East Downtown. The 22000 seat stadium would be easily sold out and would make for a more intimate and I think exciting environment. I've been to a couple of big dynamo games and it's a fun time. Plus I think BBVA could probably do like a unique BOTPW turf or something for us since they'd need to lay down football turf for the game to be played.
AxeEm99
100% Agree SFA_03!
nacluth
I agree too that home/home again would be awesome. I don't know if BBVA can be converted easily. While it's the right crowd size, it seems like the stadium is pretty tight - at least how I remember it. Definitely better than a tiny attendance in a huge fishbowl.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

I agree too that home/home again would be awesome. I don't know if BBVA can be converted easily. While it's the right crowd size, it seems like the stadium is pretty tight - at least how I remember it. Definitely better than a tiny attendance in a huge fishbowl.
Texas Southern plays home games at BBVA.
cboothe09
Haha. I was just about to type the same thing about TSU.

BBVA is an awesome venue with not a bad seat in the house. I wouldn't be opposed, but I'm not sure they can roll out turf in the middle of soccer season. Then weather comes into play, and that is why we have turf and domed stadiums now.

We could keep it completely Southland style and head over to Katy ISD's Legacy Stadium...
nacluth
Cool. I say let's do it.
TallTexan
I like where your head is at. Obviously home and home is the right choice.

In reality, only Texas/OU should be played off campus.

But if we're playing off campus, we should treat it as a marketing opportunity?

I'd say Shreveport, but I don't think either school pulls enough Louisiana students to make it feasible. So that basically leaves Houston or DFW.

And I think we should move it to DFW. First off, we're always going to be outnumbered in Houston.

Second, we get no added bonus, because the only fans near NRG are going to be already with one school or the other.

Now how does DFW solve that problem? How do we get more engagement around a game? Do we play it at the Star in Dallas? At another local stadium?

Nope, if we're gonna try to mimic UT/OU, let's just straight up copy them. At October, at the Cotton Bowl, at the State Fair.

You get a ton of traffic from people walking by. The fair itself is a big enough new story that you'd get mentioned in news media quiet a bit. Plus, it'd help both us and Sam recruit DFW.

Win, win IMO.
JackBacker1
We all know those places make more sense but they will never happen. Admin at both schools only are too financially invested in having the game at NRG. Which is saddening because it does feel like a home game for Sam every year.
SFAJack_76
I prefer a return to home and home. I also believe that won't happen in the near future due, I suppose, to financial considerations. It was cool early on, but the shine is off the new penny.

2018 was the first BOTPW that we have not attended. Our absence was entirely due to the anticipation of yet another beat down. Today, I am more excited about SFA football than I have perhaps ever been. I don't expect miracles in 2019, but make real progress and NRG might not feel like a Sam home game in 2020. Barring other life interruptions, I expect we will be there this season.
cboothe09
Winning will solve the home-field atmosphere at NRG. Our season being done before October does not help fan turnout. Start stringing together wins, and give the fans hope to beat Sam. That is how we start evening out attendance at NRG...
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

And I think we should move it to DFW. First off, we're always going to be outnumbered in Houston.

Second, we get no added bonus, because the only fans near NRG are going to be already with one school or the other.

Now how does DFW solve that problem? How do we get more engagement around a game? Do we play it at the Star in Dallas? At another local stadium?

Nope, if we're gonna try to mimic UT/OU, let's just straight up copy them. At October, at the Cotton Bowl, at the State Fair.

You get a ton of traffic from people walking by. The fair itself is a big enough new story that you'd get mentioned in news media quiet a bit. Plus, it'd help both us and Sam recruit DFW.

Win, win IMO.

With all due respect, Texan, If you think a smallish crowd in Houston is bad, wait 'til you see what a crowd in Dallas would be like. I'm thinking electron microscope in order to see it...
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

With all due respect, Texan, If you think a smallish crowd in Houston is bad, wait 'til you see what a crowd in Dallas would be like. I'm thinking electron microscope in order to see it...

It's just all marketing. Because either way the crowd is gonna suck. If we're both ranked in Dallas, it could be a decent match up.

But the only real answer is to put it back on campus.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

Texas Southern already uses BBVA I believe?
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
PurpleOut
Staff
Is everyone aware of what color BBVA is? Just saying.

But we discussed that stadium on the old board a while back. I'd love to have it in a 20k-30k open stadium, and think NRG lost it luster years ago. There's nothing exciting about it any more. Home and home would be best, as I don't think each school makes as much money off of the current situation as we think.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

But we discussed that stadium on the old board a while back. I'd love to have it in a 20k-30k open stadium, and think NRG lost it luster years ago. There's nothing exciting about it any more. Home and home would be best, as I don't think each school makes as much money off of the current situation as we think.

I'd love to know how much we actually make on it. It'd have to be a substantial chunk of change if it's not going to be a home and home.
SFASawmillGuy
PurpleOut said:

I think a sold out BBVA would be better for both schools than the current situation. Maybe even get some good exposure with a sold out crowd. It looks awful on tv with all the empty seats right now.
drhuggybear
Moving it to BBVA won't change the more Sam attendees because the game is still being played in Houston. Dallas, I doubt I would go. There just isn't a "neutral" location that appeals to me. Best solution is home and home. But the almighty dollar has reared its ugly head and thus we are at NRG. The on field product will change our attendance and honestly the tailgating at NRG is really nice.

SFASawmillGuy
drhuggybear said:

Moving it to BBVA won't change the more Sam attendees because the game is still being played in Houston. Dallas, I doubt I would go. There just isn't a "neutral" location that appeals to me. Best solution is home and home. But the almighty dollar has reared its ugly head and thus we are at NRG. The on field product will change our attendance and honestly the tailgating at NRG is really nice.

I don't know if you were at nrg when SFA actually won this game, but SFA had some really good turnouts when it was more competitive. It's just unfortunate that they've had our number for so long.
BigJack85
I was there for 2010 2012 2017 2018. The first two I went to were well attended.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TheRevSFA
SFA_03 said:

drhuggybear said:

I don't know if you were at nrg when SFA actually won this game, but SFA had some really good turnouts when it was more competitive. It's just unfortunate that they've had our number for so long.

Yeah but that was when having it at NRG was fresh.

It's stale now, plus the losing streak.

Also, I went to watch Sam play TSU at BBVA and it wasn't great for football.
SFASawmillGuy
TheRevSFA said:

SFA_03 said:

drhuggybear said:

In fairness, TSU is horrible. Their attendance is awful.

I may also be biased that my favorite bar is like 2 blocks from BBVA. But that's not important.
TheRevSFA
SFA_03 said:

TheRevSFA said:

SFA_03 said:

drhuggybear said:

I may also be biased that my favorite bar is like 2 blocks from BBVA. But that's not important.

And 8th wonder is down there as well. It's a great area. Better than the NRG area to be sure
SFASawmillGuy
TheRevSFA said:

SFA_03 said:

TheRevSFA said:

SFA_03 said:

drhuggybear said:

And 8th wonder is down there as well. It's a great area. Better than the NRG area to be sure

Eado is a great venue. Let's be friends rev. We can get drunk together and be mad at SFA athletics together.
drhuggybear
SFA_03 said:

drhuggybear said:

Sorry I have been away from the boards for a while. Lots of stuff going on right now. This was our first BotPW. Our daughter is in her first year at SFA. I actually enjoyed the event .... just not the outcome
TallTexan
Well, we are hopeful that we'll turn the game in our favor soon.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.