The Return of the 3-hour (or shorter) Football Game

5,362 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 65tosspowertrap
65tosspowertrap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I thought I would invite discussion about something I'm observing, and becoming distressed about, as a long-time college football fan. I readily admit my opinion is open to criticism, and I'm open to other points of view.

There's a good book I recommend called "The Return of the Four Hour Round" by Patrick Mateer, addressing the effect increasingly slower pace of play in golf is a major factor in the decline of people playing golf. Reading the book caused me to think about the fact that college football games are long and getting longer, and four-hour games are becoming more and more commonplace. Again in my semi-educated opinion, this is not a good thing.

I read an article stating that college football games especially FBS games, but also becoming an issue in FCS and smaller divisions are longer than any other professional or top-level college team sports experience. And they are getting longer each year. College games are almost 30 minutes longer now than they were 20 years ago. And at the same time, college football game attendance has been declining.

The reasons most often cited are television and replay. But there's third reason being talked about: the spread offense. The spread offense means more plays and more first downs and more clock stoppages. Games are more exciting (I don't necessarily agree) and high-scoring, but they are definitely longer.

Before someone dismisses me as a grumpy old man, I am not repeat, not calling for the end of the spread offense. But I'm beginning to believe that it may be time for a long, hard reevaluation of rules of the game governing the clock. The rules were originally designed for a shorter, more run-oriented offensive scheme. But the game has changed dramatically, and it may be time to look at changing some things.

I have some ideas I'd like to throw out there, but first, what do y'all think?

Axe 'Em
'87 SFA grad
"Just keep matriculatin' the ball down the field boys!" — Hank Stram

https://youtu.be/MnPr1R_QlTM
SFA Jack Fanatic
I love college and high school football just the way they are. No need to shorten their games, IMO.

Pro football? Can't stand it personally. The pre-game and off-the-field crapola going on in the NFL turned me off 2-3 years ago. If it went away I wouldn't miss it a bit.
BigJack85
I've got lots of ideas that I think would improve the game but shortening it is not one of them. 1st id like to see the extra points be more than a chip shot. 2nd. If you go for the 2-point conversion it should actually have some real value and be a 3 point conversion attempted from the 8 yard line. Beyond that I'm not a real "rules" officieniado. Great topic.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
I'm with you, I'd like to speed up the pace of play a bit and think we can do it without substantially altering the game.

First, run the clock on 1st downs with the exception of the 5(or 2 or 3) minutes proceeding the end of each half.

Second, give college coaches the ability to challenge. We don't need to stop the game every 4 minutes for a ref review. Or if we want to challenge everything, put a timer on reviews. If you can't figure it out within 2 minutes, it's indisputable IMO.

I think you'd probably shave 20-30 minutes off of the length of the game with those two rules, while still maintaining what makes college football exciting.
65tosspowertrap
BigJack85, I really, really like the after TD conversion ideas, especially the 3-point from 8 yd line idea. TallTexan, I agree with the idea of not stopping the clock on 1st downs.

Here are some wild ideas I thought about (like I said, everything should be put on the table, even "duh" stuff):

(ONLY when there's more than 3-5 minutes to go in each half)
  • When a player runs out of bounds, why stop the clock?
  • Why stop the clock after and incomplete pass?

These procedures are decades old, when on average a college offense ran at most 45-50 plays per half.

Again, these are wild ideas...just thinking out loud.

Have a great day, Jacks.

MasterAxe
Simple solution:

Run more. Play Army/Navy/Air Force ball.

Those games are over in like 2:15.
Willis Jack
I've never had a problem watching a 4 hour game. When you have 8 or so months with out football, I'm not gonna complain about a long game. I love HS and college football, I'll watch anytime.
TallTexan
Willis Jack said:

I've never had a problem watching a 4 hour game. When you have 8 or so months with out football, I'm not gonna complain about a long game. I love HS and college football, I'll watch anytime.

I actually don't mind the length of the game play that much, but the Ref stoppages are probably my biggest pet peeve. That really disrupts the flow of the game when they take 5 minutes to review everycall.
nacluth
Maybe I'm too cynical, but I think it's all about money. I think as long as football (college or pro) is the most viewed tv show in its slot, there will be no pressure to change. Baseball, basketball, and hockey have all enforced time saving rules in the past five years because they were losing viewership. As soon as football finds they lose viewers in long games, they will start to speed up. Right now, there's no incentive to stop that commercial revenue.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

Maybe I'm too cynical, but I think it's all about money. I think as long as football (college or pro) is the most viewed tv show in its slot, there will be no pressure to change. Baseball, basketball, and hockey have all enforced time saving rules in the past five years because they were losing viewership. As soon as football finds they lose viewers in long games, they will start to speed up. Right now, there's no incentive to stop that commercial revenue.
Bingo!
BigJack85
As usual Nacluth corners the market on intellectual responses !!!
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
nacluth
Ha. If only that we're the case...

I like the one play, 8 yard 3 point conversion. Close enough that the receivers are jammed and long enough for a hard run. Also gives a chance for a nine point play that is enough to offset an extra fieldgoal. I really don't mind the two point conversion much, but it seems like college defenses have a tough time with it.
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

As usual Nacluth corners the market on intellectual responses !!!
There goes his head swelling up again... Stop praising him, guys. Just stop it!
SFAJack_76
While you are at it, change that cockamamie overtime rule. Having the offense start in field goal range makes no sense. Start at the fifty, and make them earn a score.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

While you are at it, change that cockamamie overtime rule. Having the offense start in field goal range makes no sense. Start at the fifty, and make them earn a score.

Now that I can agree with. I love the College OT, but you shouldn't be able to win the game without having to beat the defense first. 50 yard line makes sense.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

I disagree with you on this, 76. I love, love, love the current 'cockamamie' college OT system. But then again, I'm more of an offense and high-scoring fan than a defense fan. I enjoy watching a good 56-49 game every now and then, and OT games can sometimes result in that.
ACUCattitude
Interesting ideas. I must say, however, that I don't like then 3 point extra point. That's half the value of a touchdown on one play. I am for backing up the kickers to the 12 yd line which would make for a 30 yard extra point.
65tosspowertrap
Appreciate all of the great thoughts, fellas. I think the verdict is in on me: get over how long today's games are, and just be resigned watching YouTube videos of the old boring, primitive football.

Merry Christmas everyone, and Ax Em.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.