Offensive Line

5,220 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TallTexan
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For something like 3-5 years, as a unit, the o-line has been a weakness. In the weekly press conference today, Byrd commented that the two biggest issues were blocking and play calling. Play calling was about making our offense one dementional by not running the ball. That allows the defense to largely ignore the run and does put the offensive line at a disadvantage.

So, in addition to play calling, has it been a case of recruiting or development? Are we looking at another three years or so, or with quality S&C, nutrition, and coaching, are the guys that are on the roster today capable of being part of a playoff caliber o-line? UT went through a period of poor offensive line performance. Although not great, they are greatly improved this year with some of the same guys. New S&C and Coach Hand appear to be the most significant changes.

What needs to happen to get us out of this cycle quickly? The coaching staff will change. Is that enough with the guys on the roster?
HitSomeBody
One item that has to be put in place that we were told was in place when recruited is S&C and nutrition. I can speak for my son because he grew an inch this summer and is a couple of hairs over 6'6 now. He is doing pretty good with his S&C as he is now lifting more in all the primary weight lifts than he ever has.

Where it is lacking is nutrition. It's non-existent. We were told the players would get color coded dots on a weekly menu to let them know how much of each food group to eat at each meal. No meal menu, no dots, no guidance. Plus the food in cafeteria is not worthy of eating all week.

I am still paying a fortune each week to feed the kid off campus so he will eat. It does not take long to make the rounds in Nac with restaurants. Now, he sometimes just ain't in the mood to eat(for all those who travel and eat out all the time you know what I mean).

I watch my son on all the practice film. He is taller, little bigger, his feet are faster and he runs quicker. He has gotten stronger and grown an inch. I cannot help but believe him along with the others could be better if they had the right fuel in their body. It makes a big difference.

My son had a nutritionist that his high school coach brought in towards the end of his junior year season and by the spring he was a whole different player and that's when we started to get phone calls from colleges. The coaches were the same, teaching him the same stuff, what changed was the nutrition.
Axe'Em Jacks
HitSomeBody
If you want 300+ pound guys on the line then without a nutrition program to build the weight correctly it make it so challenging for those carrying that much weigh to play much less deal with health issues.

Got to have a nutrition plan and a nutritional cafe for the athletes to eat at.
Axe'Em Jacks
SFAJack_76
This topic was discussed a few months ago.

So, nothing has changed?
TallTexan
HitSomeBody said:

If you want 300+ pound guys on the line then without a nutrition program to build the weight correctly it make it so challenging for those carrying that much weigh to play much less deal with health issues.

Man that's the truth. It's amazing the difference that food makes for lifting and performance. I hope Ivey and company sort it out soon. It is possible to eat well in SFA's cafeterias (atleast it was in 2011), but we definitely need to make it easy with a nutritionist & nutrition guide.
Jacks4460
SFAJack_76 said:

This topic was discussed a few months ago.

So, nothing has changed?
I emailed him as soon as I read this and asked if he was able to make any progress on this.. I know his plate is full but even without a true in place HC we can still employee a nutritionist and have some jr or sr students be interns to follow through with the day to day nutrition of the players. They also need their own cafeteria and fueling station(Gatorade,nutrition bars, fruit,etc.) I will let you know what he says. He is a frigging winner guys I am telling you.. I watched and heard him talk to many different people and he does a great job of creating a good positive mood..I am excited..
Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

HitSomeBody said:

Man that's the truth. It's amazing the difference that food makes for lifting and performance. I hope Ivey and company sort it out soon. It is possible to eat well in SFA's cafeterias (atleast it was in 2011), but we definitely need to make it easy with a nutritionist & nutrition guide.
Dude I hated eating at East College... I was on scholarship and it was free so that was good but man I really didn't eat anything in there except for cereal and ham and cheese sandwich... Not sure what it was just didn't taste right.. Our Ath dept. needs a seperate cafeteria...
SFAJack_76
Thanks for following up on this with Ivey. Let us know the response.

I agree that Ivey is top notch. With all there is to do, he must be challenged to prioritize, but I know the care of the student-athletes is very important to him. (Perhaps care and feeding is appropriate in this instance. )
HitSomeBody
Do any of the Southland schools have their own athletes cafe?
Axe'Em Jacks
Jacks4460
SFAJack_76 said:

Thanks for following up on this with Ivey. Let us know the response.

I agree that Ivey is top notch. With all there is to do, he must be challenged to prioritize, but I know the care of the student-athletes is very important to him. (Perhaps care and feeding is appropriate in this instance. )
Ryan got back to me and said the Food & Nutrition is one of the things at the top of his list. Said he is currently working on a solution. Also recognizes that players and families were mislead about Food & Nutrition Program. He will get this fixed. I feel Ryan really cares for the Student Athlete and wants to put them in a position to succeed and grow as an young adult.. We got a winner for an AD Jack fans...
SFAJack_76
Good stuff. Thanks.
nacluth
Woo-hoo for Ryans!
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Woo-hoo for Ryans!

Bandwagoner.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.